- Ali Allawi
Ali Abdul-Amir Allawi was Minister of Trade and Minister of Defense in the cabinet appointed by the
Interim Iraq Governing Councilfrom September 2003 until 2004, and subsequently Minister of Finance in the Iraqi Transitional Governmentbetween 2005 and 2006. A ShiaMuslim, Allawi was part of the Iraqi exile community in Londonduring the rule of Saddam Hussein. He was one of the organizers of 'The Declaration of Iraqi Shia', a statement released in 2002. Before being appointed by the governing council in 2003, Allawi was a professor at Oxford University. Ali is son of Ahmad Chalabi's sister, making him Chalabi's nephew.
In January 2007 the "Independent" newspaper published an article by Allawi outlining a blueprint for peace in Iraq. Allawi recommended
devolutionwithin Iraq, economic and political regional integrationin the Middle East, and the setting up of independent boards to oversee reconstruction and security issues. [Ali Allawi, [http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2125419.ece For the first time, a real blueprint for peace in Iraq] , "Independent", published 5 January 2007, accessed 5 January 2007] The article was praised by "Independent"commentator Patrick Cockburn, who argued that it was "by far the most perceptive analysis of the extent of the disaster in his country, and how it might best be resolved. It is in sharp contrast to the ill-thought-out maunderings of experts and officials devising fresh policies in the White House and Downing Street". [Patrick Cockburn, [http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article2125377.ece Perceptive analysis contrasts with White House rhetoric] , "Independent", published 5 January 2007, accessed 5 January 2007] Allawi has since written [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=0300110154 "The Occupation of Iraq: Winning the War, Losing the Peace"] .
He earned an
S.B.in Civil & Environmental Engineering from MITin 1968 [http://alum.mit.edu] and an MBA from Harvard Business Schoolin 1971 [http://post.harvard.edu] .
* [http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2007/04/11/2/a-conversation-about-iraq-and-the-united-states/ Ali Allawi on Charlie Rose 04/11/07]
* [http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/323/incoherence_of_power_1/ Interview with Ali Allawi for Guernica Magazine (guernicamag.com)]
* [http://www.booktv.org/feature/index.asp?segID=8135&schedID=483 After Words: Ali Allawi, author of "The Occupation of Iraq" interviewed by Roland Flamini (booktv.org)]
* [http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=0300110154 Yale University Press site: listen to an interview with Ali A. Allawi on the Yale Press Podcast and to Allawi's first public radio interview on The Diane Rehm Show on WAMU 88.5 FM, American University Radio ]
* [http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s2031411.htm Interview on ABC's Lateline 12th Sep 07]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clTMdxaCBNY Interview with Al Jazeera English's Riz Khan]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.