- Charles Somerset, 1st Earl of Worcester
Charles Somerset Earl of Worcester Spouse(s) Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert
Issue Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester
Mary Somerset, Baroness Grey de Wilton
Noble family House of Beaufort Father Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset Mother Joan Hill Born 1460 Died 15 March 1526
Charles Somerset, 1st Earl of Worcester (c. 1460 – 15 March 1526) was the legitimised son of Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset and Joan Hill.
He was born around 1460 to Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset and Joan Hill. He may have married three times, firstly to Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert, daughter of William Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, 2nd Baron Herbert, secondly to Elizabeth West, daughter of Sir Thomas West, 8th Baron de la Warr, and thirdly to Eleanor Sutton, daughter of Edward Sutton, 2nd Lord Dudley. His supposed marriage to Elizabeth West, however, may be an error made by William Dugdale, repeated by later scholars.
In right of his wife he was created Lord Herbert. On 1 February 1514, he was created the 1st Earl of Worcester. He was invested as Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) around 1496. Lord Chamberlain of the Household of Henry VIII of England. As Lord Chamberlain, Somerset was largely responsible for the preparations of the Field of Cloth of Gold. Elizabeth died bef. March 1513. Somerset died on 15 April 1526 and was buried with his first wife at St. George's Chapel.
With Elizabeth Herbert, whom he married on 2 June 1492, he had one son, Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester, his heir and successor and one daughter Elizabeth, wife of Sir John Savage, Knt., and Sir William Brereton.
With Elizabeth West, he had Charles, Knt., and George, Knt., and one daughter Lady Mary Somerset of Worcester, wife of William Grey, 13th Baron Grey de Wilton and of Robert Carre.
- ^ Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, (G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914), 207.
- ^ Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , (Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890), 55.
- ^ Burke, 207
- ^ Jonathan Hughes, "Somerset , Charles, first earl of Worcester (c.1460–1526)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, September 2004; online edition, January 2007 [accessed 1 Sept 2010] (Subscription required for online version)
- ^ Burke, 207.
- ^ McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, (Yale University Press, 2001), xxi.
- Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914.
- Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890.
- McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, Yale University Press, 2001.
Political offices Preceded by
The Earl of Oxford
Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
Sir Henry Guilford
The Earl of Arundel
Peerage of England Preceded by
Earl of Worcester
- 1460s births
- 1526 deaths
- Ambassadors of England to France
- Knights of the Garter
- Earls of Worcester (1514)
- Barons Herbert
- 15th-century English people
- 16th-century English people
- People of the Tudor period
- Peers jure uxoris
- Somerset family
- Peerage of England earl stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.