- Advance, North Carolina
Advance (pronounced with the stress on the first syllable) is an
unincorporated communitylocated in Davie County, North Carolina. It has a total land area of 62.3 square miles and is located along Hwy NC 801and Hwy 158 just south of Bermuda Run near the western bank of the Yadkin River. Advance is a part of the Piedmont Triadand is home to Shady Grove Elementary School. Neighboring communities and municipalities include: Bermuda Run, Mocksville, Hillsdale, and Yadkin College. The official population of Advance "common" is recognized as 10,762, but the actual population of Advance "proper" is known to be much lower.
Various accounts exist for the origin of the town's name. Some suggest the name was derived from the name of a popular resident and freed slave, Addington Vance. Other accounts suggest the community was named by residents who hoped that with the addition of a post office, the community would advance. Yet another possibility is that the town was named after the Confederate blockade steamer "Advance", which was commonly referred to as the AD Vance.
While Advance remains unincorporated, it is recognized by the US Postal Service under zip code 27006. The common area of Advance actually blankets several smaller unincorporated communities that are not recognized by the postal service:
* Farmington (south of Spillman Road)
* Fork Church
* Shady Grove
* Smith Grove
The Advance population has grown wildly within the past 10 years, with Advance changing from a strictly rural community to a bedroom community of Clemmons and Winston-Salem. Numerous housing developments have popped up on once-vibrant farmland, but Advance's small town character still shines through.
Advance has had several businesses that were prominent through its history. A few of these include:
* "801 Shell" - once the only business convenient to I-40 and a landmark for over 40 years, 801 Shell will soon be torn to make way for a four-lane highway
* "Advance Barber Shop" -owned and operated by Mark Armsworthy; a popular hang-out among locals such as Robbie Jackson and Adam Dellinger
* "Advance Car Wash" (building still standing, but the business has long been closed down)
* "Advance Country Store" - a vintage fixture in Advance known for fresh, local produce
* "Advance Florist"
* "Advance Video" - (no longer in business) known locally as Jitter's
* "Country Store Exxon" (formerly L&S Country Store)
* "Jeffco" - a salon equipment and fixture company
* "L&G Hair Design" - (closed) operated by Larry & Gail Campbell (Larry being the unofficial mayor of Hillsdale for several terms), L&G at one time was the only barber shop on the eastern end of the county. The barber shop was the place to be for local gossip and Davie High athletics chatter.
* "Tucker's Place restaurant" - located in the building that once housed Advance Video
* "Vogler's TV & VCR Service" - a television repair shop
* "Wright Farm Gates" - a farm and ranch equipment distribution company
chools & Civic Service
*Advance Masonic Lodge
*Advance Volunteer Fire Department
*Cornatzer Elementary School
*Shady Grove Elementary School
*William Ellis Middle School
*Advance Baptist Church
*Advance United Methodist Church
*Hillsdale Baptist Church
*Hillsdale United Methodist Church
*Macedonia Moravian Church
*Yadkin Valley Baptist Church
*Ronnie Townsend,General Sales Manager for Triad Dodge, former Carolina Panthers Offensive Lineman
*Aunt Eloise, morning radio personality on 104.1 WTQR in Greensboro, NC
*Dan Barret, 2004 gubernatorial candidate
*Patty Moise, former NASCAR Winston Cup driver
*Elton Sawyer, former NASCAR Winston Cup driver; currently a driver coach for Team Red Bull
*Dan Tatum, gospel singer
*John Wendel, meteorologist for WCNC television in Charlotte, NC
Chris Perry (American football), NFL running back
One significant landmark in the Advance area is the Vestal Potts Gymnasium. The basketball gymnasium is named after legendary coach Vestal Potts who coached Shady Grove's basketball teams to numerous championships.Fact|date=June 2007
* [http://www.advancefiredepartment.org/ Advance Fire Department]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.