- Louise Dahl-Wolfe
Louise Emma Augusta Dahl (
November 19, 1895in San Francisco, California– December 11, 1989) was a photographer, known primarily for her work for Harper's Bazaarwith fashion editor Diana Vreeland.
Born to Norwegian parents, Dahl-Wolfe was known for taking photographs outdoors, with natural light in distant locations from
South Americato Africain what became known as "environmental" fashion photography. She married sculptor Meyer Wolfe, who constructed the backgrounds of many of her photos. [ [http://nmwa.org/collection/profile.asp?LinkID=174 National Museum of Women in the Arts] . Web site, 2008. Last accessed: April 27, 2008.]
She preferred portraiture to fashion photography. Notable portraits include:
Mae West, Cecil Beaton, Eudora Welty, W. H. Auden, Christopher Isherwood, Orson Welles, Carson McCullers, Edward Hopper, Coletteand Josephine Baker. She is known for having "discovered" a teenage Lauren Bacall. She was a great influence on photographers Irving Pennand Richard Avedon. One of her assistants was Milton H. Greene.
The full archive of Dahl-Wolfe's work is located at the
Center for Creative Photography(CCP) at the University of Arizonain Tucson, which also manages the copyright of her work. [http://www.creativephotography.org/documents/CCP_LDW.pdf CCP's "Conditions for Publication of Photographs by Louise Dahl-Wolfe" (PDF file)]
* Dahl-Wolfe, Louise. "Louise Dahl-Wolfe: A Photographer’s Scrapbook." New York: St. Martin’s/Marek, 1984.
* "" (1999) documentary, directed by
* [http://nmwa.org/collection/portfolio.asp?LinkID=174&PageNo=1&CurrPage=1 Louise Dahl-Wolfe Portfolio] portfolio at the National Museum of Women in the Arts
* [http://www.documentarychannel.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=48&osCsid=kda8i52m43jlo780k00ukha6o "Louise Dahl-Wolfe: Painting with Light"] at the
* [http://www.creativephotography.org/ Center for Creative Photography website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.