- Wilmington, Los Angeles, California
Wilmington, California is a neighborhood of Los Angeles, with industry as its primary economic activity. It lies adjacent to the
Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro, and Harbor City. Wilmington is the site of Banning Houseand Drum Barracks, or Camp Drum, the only major American Civil Warlandmark in California. The ZIP Codes for Wilmington are 90744, and 90748 for P.O. boxes only.
History of Wilmington
The land was originally part of the 1784 Spanish land grant of
Rancho San Pedro. It was known as New San Pedro when the town was founded in September 1858. It was located at the site of a wharf, known as Banning's Landing, built by Phineas Banning. The name was changed in 1863 in honor of Wilmington, Delaware, Banning's birthplace. The post office, which opened in 1864, was the second in Los Angeles County.
Roman Catholicchurch of SS. Peter and Paul was founded in 1865 and is now the second oldest parish in the archdiocese of Los Angeles. During the year 2000 Jubilee, it was proclaimed as a Pilgrimage Church and now it is called the Historic Faith Center of the San Pedro Pastoral Region.
railroadin Southern Californiawas built in 1869, and ran from Banning's Landing up to the city of Los Angeles. Following the choice of San Pedro as the official location for the Port of Los Angelesin the 1890s, the town continued to grow with increased federal spending in the area. The city was annexed by the city of Los Angeles in 1909.
Points of interest
Drum BarracksCivil War Museum - U.S. Army headquarters for Southern California and the Arizona territory during the Civil War era, located at 1052 N Banning Blvd.
*Phineas Banning Residence Museum - the Greek Revivial home of Wilmington founder
Phineas Banningcompleted in 1864, and the most famous structure in WilmingtonFact|date=September 2008, located at 401 E "M" St.
*The Don (formerly Don Hotel) - Located in the downtown Wilmington area. The building has been widely accepted as a historic Wilmington locale by the city's nativesFact|date=September 2008. The bright green "THE DON" neon sign atop the brick building once welcomed visitors entering the city. Supporters of
urban renewalhave proposed the site for condo development.
Wienerschnitzel(located on Pacific Coast Highway, East of Figueroa St.) The first Der Wienerschnitzel hot dog restaurant opened in 1961 in Wilmington and is still open for business.
*The Palms on Avalon- A Los Angeles City Cultural Historic Landmark. From the Carson border to the Harbor along Avalon Blvd.
*Banning's Landing - One of a kind community center inspired by Wilmington's maritime traditions. The visually pleasing building was designed by renowned architect [http://www.ttta.com/ Ted Tokio Tanaka] . It is currently home to the City of Los Angeles [http://www.culturela.org/ Cultural Affairs Department] , located at 100 E Water St.
*Los Angeles Historic Preservation Overlay Zone: The Banning Park Neighborhood - The 1200 blocks of Lakme Ave, Cary Ave, and Banning Blvd (Between East "L" and "M" streets)in East Wilmington. This area features historic homes built in Spanish, Dutch, and American Colonial revival styles. Most of the homes were constructed during the 1930s and 1940s and developed by
Sid Spearing. The site was originally purchased by William Wrigley Jr.in 1927.
*Dancing Sailor- on the corner of Avalon and PCH in the TacoBell drive thru. Can be seen every night "dancing til you drops". Wears his signature white outfit complete with a sailor hat and an orange life saver. Is known around Wilmington for his amazing dance moves and bringing cheer to anyone who sees him.weasel word
Wilmington is zoned to schools in the
Los Angeles Unified School District.
;Primary Schools (Grades 1-5)
* Banning New Elementary School #1 (final name pending)
* [http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Broad_EL Broad Avenue Elementary School]
* [http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Fries_EL/ Fries Avenue Elementary School]
* Gulf Avenue Elementary School
* [http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Hawaiian_EL/ Hawaiian Avenue Elementary School]
* Wilmington Park Elementary School
;Secondary Schools (Grades 6-12)
* [http://wilmingtonms.org/ Wilmington Middle School]
* Phineas Banning High School
* [http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Harbor_Teacher_Prep_HS/index.html/ Harbor Teacher Preparation Academy]
* Holy Family Parish School
* St. Peter & St. Paul
* Wilmington Christian School
* [http://www.pacificharborschool.org/ Pacific Harbor Christian School]
* First Baptist Christian School
* Banning-Marine Ave Adult Center
* Harbor Occupational-Skill Center
* Avalon High School
;Colleges and Universities
* [http://www.lahc.edu/ Los Angeles Harbor College]
* [http://www.natpoly.edu/ National Polytechnic College of Engineering and Oceaneering]
Los Angeles Public Libraryoperates the Wilmington Branch.
Port of Los Angeles
San Pedro and Wilmington are the locations of the Port of Los Angeles.
Movies and TV shows filmed in Wilmington
A Man Apart"
Back to the Future Part II"
* "Captain America"
* "The Fast and The Furious"
* "Get Smart"
Gone in 60 Seconds"
* "Jackie Brown"
The Last Shot"
* "The Rose"
Slappy and the Stinkers"
Streets of Fire"
To Live and Die In L.A."
We Jam Econo" - concert footage
When Harry Met Sally..."
Thuy Trang, actress Fact|date=October 2008
Knoc-Turn'al, hip-hop artist
* Apollonia, singer
Saccharine Trustmembers, punk band
Left Alonemembers, punk band
* Armistice members, punk band
* Abelardo de la Peña, author and longtime Mahar House director
Synthetrixelectronic music recording artist
* Steven Benavidez vocalistguitarist(Punk Band)weasel word;Politics
Antonio "Tony" Inocentes, politician Otay Water District, Banning High School, political consultant ePolitical USA
Claude "Bud" Lewis, politician, Mayor Carlsbad, CA Metropolitan Water District San Diego County Water AuthorityBanning High School alumni
Larry Walton, Sr, politician Valley County Municipal Water District, Banning High School Alumni
R Keith McDonald, Banning High School Alumni, politician West Basin Municipal Water District
Carmen Morales-Board,RN, MSN, FNPC, California Board of Registered Nurses member
Arturo Torres, soccer player, Banning High School Alumni
Fred Matua, football player, Banning High School alumni
Freeman McNeil, football player, Banning High School alumni
Bob Whitfield, football player
Stanley Wilson Sr., football player, Banning High School alumni
Stanley Wilson, football player
Ron Settles, football player, Banning High School Alumni
Clarence Reece, football player, Banning High School Alumni
Vince Ferragamo, football player, Banning High School alumni
Dan Guerrero, UCLA Athletic Director
ABC Newsanchor, Narbonne High Schoolalumni
George Delatorre, Businessman Chairman Juanita's Menudito, Banning High Alumni
List of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments in the Harbor area
* [http://www.lafn.org/community/whs/ Wilmington Historical Society]
* [http://www.wilmington-chamber.com/ Chamber of Commerce]
* [http://www.banningmuseum.org/ General Phineas Banning Residence Museum]
* [http://cityplanning.lacity.org/complan/HCM/dsp_hcm_result.cfm?community=Wilmington%20-%20Harbor%20City List of Historical cnd Cultural Monuments in Wilmington and Harbor City]
* [http://www.wilmingtonneighborhoodcouncil.com/ Wilmington Neighborhood Council]
* [http://www.banninghs.org/ Phineas Banning High School]
* [http://www.lahc.edu/ Los Angeles Harbor College]
* [http://www.portofla.org/community_waterfront.htm 2006 Waterfront Development Plan]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.