- Korean Broadcasting System
network_name = Korean Broadcasting System (KBS)
country = flagicon|South Korea
network_type = Broadcast
available = National
Government of South Korea
Lee Byung Soon, President
launch_date = 1927 (radio); 1961 (television); 1996 (satellite); 1998 (digital); 2005 (DMB)
website = [http://english.kbs.co.kr/explore/who/expl_wh.html www.kbs.co.kr]
Infobox Korean name
Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) is South Korea's premier public broadcaster and the biggest one of three major Korean television networks. This public broadcasting network is best known for nightly newscasts and lavish historical dramas, although private broadcasters such as MBC and SBS have produced popular historical dramas in recent years as well.
KBS is a 'public organization' that is, by law, receives public fund by the Korean Government but independently managed from them. However, during the recent Korean history, KBS is largely regarded to be influenced by government because of the procedure with which its president is recruited. As mentioned on the Korean Constitution, President of KBS is recommended by its board of directors to the President of Korea. Political parties in Korea have rights to name members of board of directors of KBS. Since
President of South Koreausually have leadership over the members of the ruling party, KBS' president is considered to be designated by the president of Korea. This procdeure that incurs worries of political intervention over KBS' governance has triggered many controversies over the needs of revamping recruiting procedure.
Around 37.8% of its revenue comes from a mandatory Television Licence Fee, while 47.6% of the revenue comes from commercial advertisement sales. [ [http://english.kbs.co.kr/KBS_Annual_Report_2007.pdf KBS Annual Report 2006-2007] , KBS, 2007.(As mentioned on page 30)] For services with national or governmental cause such as International Radio service (KBS World Radio) and Radio service for phisycally handicapped people, KBS receives public funds from the Korean government.
*KBS1 - news, current affairs, education and culture. Launched 1956 as TV1. KBS1 is solely run using License Fee and doesn't show any commercial announcement.
*KBS2 - entertainment and sports. Launched 1964 as TBC-TV.
Cable and Satellite television
* KBS Prime - culture and drama. Launched 1996 as KBS satellite 2, renamed(KBS Korea) at 2002.
* KBS Drama - formerly KBS Sky Drama. launched 2002.
* KBS N Sports - formerly KBS Sports/KBS Sky Sports. launched 2002.
* KBS Joy - comedy and quiz show. launched 2006.These four channels are carried by Cable and Satellite operators in Korea. There are 100+ Cable operators in Korea and
Skylifeis sole satellite television service provider. These channels are managed and operated by KBS N, a subsidiary company of KBS.
* KBS Radio 1 (AM/
FM) - news, current affairs, documentary, culture and drama. launched 1927 as JODK.
* KBS Radio 2 (AM/FM) - entertainment. launched 1961 as KBS second Programme
* KBS Radio 3 (AM) - launched 1964 as RSB(Radio Seoul Broadcasting), renamed as TBC Radio at 1970s, then current name in 1980, and ceased broadcasting at 1981, replaced by KBS Radio 2's regional service and Educational FM(now EBS FM), and re-launched 2000, spin-off from KBS Radio 2.
KBS 1FM(FM) - classical music and folkmusic. launched 1979 as KBS-FM.
* KBS 2FM (89.1 MHz Cool FM) - popular music. launched 1966 as TBC-FM.
* KBS social radio (
shortwave) - launched 1975 as KBS Third Programme
KBS World Radio- international service [see also RFI, BBC World Serviceand Radio Canada International] , as well as satellite and international services.
List of KBS programs
* Hong Gil Dong (쾌도 홍길동; 2008)
* King Sejong the Great (대왕세종; 2008~)
Likeable or Not(미우나고우나; 2007~2008)
* The Snow Queen (눈의 여왕; 2006 ~ 2007)
* Dae Joyoung (TV Series) (대조영; 2006~2007)
Seoul 1945(TV Series) (서울1945; 2006)
Hwang Jin-i (TV series)(황진이; 2006)
* The Invisible Man (투명인간 최장수; 2006)
Pure In Heart(열아홉 순정; 2006)
* Wedding (2005)
Sassy Girl Chun Hyang(쾌걸 춘향; 2005)
Immortal Yi Soon-shin(불멸의 이순신; 2004~2005)
I'm Sorry, I Love You(미안하다,사랑한다; 2004)
* Forbidden Love (구미호외전; 2004)
* Full House (풀하우스; 2004)
Emperor of the Sea(해신; 2004)
* Empress Myeongseong (명성황후; 2001)
Mina (drama)(미나; 2001)
* Endless Love series::*
Autumn Fairy Tale(가을동화; also known as Autumn In My Heart; 2000):* Winter Sonata(겨울연가; 2002):* Summer Scent(여름향기; 2003):* Spring Waltz(봄의 왈츠; 2006)
* First Love (첫사랑; 1996)
* Papa (파파; 1996)
* Salut D'Amour (사랑의 인사; 1994)
* Love OK (사랑해도 괜찮아)
* Drama City (드라마시티 연꽃 피던 날)
KBS Special(KBS 스페셜)
The story of Korean History(한국사'전')
* Science Cafe(과학카페)
* Kingdom of Animals(동물의왕국)
* KBS-NBN Documentaries A Joint Project Together with
National Broadcasting Networkof the Philippines.
News and Current Affairs
* KBS News 9 (KBS 9시뉴스. Main news programme)
* KBS News-Guangjang (KBS 뉴스광장. Breakfast programme)
* KBS News network (KBS 뉴스네트워크. Evening programme with some local segments)
* KBS Newsline (KBS 뉴스라인. Midnight programme)
* Midnight Debate-Live (생방송 심야토론. Sunday-night debate programme)
* Media Focus (미디어 포커스. Mediawatch programme)
* Coverage-File 4321 (취재파일 4321. Sunday's
In-depthnews coverage programme)
1 vs. 100(1 대 100, Launched on 1 May 2007. 2nd biggest quiz show. Top prize: 50,000,000 Won.)
* Comedy File
* Concert 7080 (콘서트7080)
Happy Sunday(해피선데이), (1박2일)
* Happy Together (해피투게더 Season 3)
* Imagination Plus (상상 플러스)
* Sponge (스펀지, Weekly '
* Pokso Club (폭소 클럽)
* Pokso Club2 (폭소 클럽2)
* Love Letter by
Yun Do-hyeon(윤도현의 러브레터)
* Music Bank (뮤직 뱅크)
Quiz Daehanminguk(means 'Quiz Korea', the nation's biggest quiz show. Top prize: 60,000,000 Won.)
Star Golden Bell
* Smile Station(웃음 충전소)
* Vitamin (비타민)
* Pani Pani (파니파니)
Teletubbies( _ko. 텔레토비)
Talk with beauties( _ko. 미녀들의 수다) KBS World
KBS World is the international television and radio service of KBS. KBS World television is a television channel that is mostly comprised of programs commissioned for KBS' 2 terrestrial networks: KBS1 and KBS2. KBS World television is distributed over several international communication and broadcasting satellites such as IS-8, IS-9, IS-10, Hotbird 6, Galaxy 10R, Arabsat 4D. Local cable and/or satellite operators receive the signal from one of these satellite and carry the signal to end subscribers of their own networks. KBS doesn't allow individual viewer to receive the signal from IS-8, IS-9, IS-10 and Galaxy 10R. The signal from Arabsat 4D is Free-to-Air service while viewers using Hotbird 6 are required to pay monthly subscription fee.KBS World television is for both local people and Korean expatriates around the world. As of July 2007, around 65% of its programs are broadcast with English Subtitles. KBS World Japan is independently operated by KBS Japan, KBS' subsidiary in Japan and practically all programs are provided with Japanese subtitles.
KBS launched KBS World officially on
July 12003. As of July 2007, KBS World television is available in 32 countries and reportedly more than 40 million households around the world are accessible to KBS World TV.
KBS World television runs on a 24hr schedule with programming ranging from news, sports, dramas, variety shows and children's programs.
GMA Network( Philippines)
ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation( Philippines)
National Broadcasting Network( Philippines)
List of Korea-related topics
KBS World Radio
* KBS World Canada
List of South Korean broadcasting networks
* [http://www.kbs.co.kr/ KBS Official Site] ko icon en icon
* [http://world.kbs.co.kr KBS World]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.