- Lunar New Year Fair
Lunar New Year Fair (年宵市場, or flowermarket 花市) is a type of fair held annually a few days before
Lunar New Yearin Hong Kong. The fair is held in various location in Hong Kong, notably Victoria Park and Fa Hui Park. Fair gathers hundreds of stalls for various goods. Half of the area is for selling auspicious flowering plants like narcissus, peony, chrysanthemum, peachand fruit plants like mandarin. Another half is for selling dry stuff for Chinese New Year.
The fair draws lots of people to visit. It is part of custom, "hang nin siu" (行年宵, literally: walk the year night) or "hang fa shi" (行花市, literally: walk the flower market). The crowd peaks at a few hours before and after midnight of the New Year's Day. The stall tenders would try to sell all their stocks in these few hours before the fair closes. Flower stall tenders would not take the flowers back when the fair closes but destroy it or leave it to charity organisations.
In 2000s increasingly youths from various youth organisations, secondary schools and universities operate stalls their own.
In 2007, students from various schools set up stalls to sell many special products which are related to pig, for example Pig Tissue Holder, Fatty Pork Chop Scarf, etc.
In tradition, the
Governor of Hong Kongvisited the fair annually, usually in Victoria Park. The Chief Executive of Hong Kongcontinues this tradition.
At the time of 2006, it was held in:
* Victoria Park, Causeway Bay
Fa Hui Park, Sham Shui Po
* Cheung Sha Wan Playground, Sham Shui Po
* Kai Tak East Playground, Wong Tai Sin
* Kwun Tong Recreation Ground, Kwun Tong
* Sha Tsui Road Playground, Tsuen Wan
* Kwai Chung Sports Ground, Kwai Tsing
* Shek Pai Tau Playground, Tuen Mun
* Pedestrian Mall Opposite Yuen Long Public Swimming Pool and On Hing Playground, Yuen Long
* Shek Wu Hui Playground, North District
* Tin Hau Temple Fung Shui Square, Tai Po
* Yuen Wo Playground, Sha Tin
* Man Yee Playground, Sai Kung
* Po Hong Park, Tseung Kwan O
At the time of 2007, it was held in [ [http://www.news.gov.hk/en/category/healthandcommunity/061027/html/061027en05005.htm Fair stall auctions set for November 13] news.gov.hk:Health and Community ] :
* Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island
* Fa Hui Park, Cheung Sha Wan Playground,
Morse Parkand Kwun Tong Recreation Ground in Kowloon
* Sha Tsui Road Playground in Tsuen Wan
* Kwai Chung Sports Ground
* the open space at the Tin Hau Temple in Tuen Mun
* Tung Tau Industrial Area Playground in Yuen Long
* Shek Wu Hui Playground in North District
* Tin Hau Temple Fung Shui Square in Tai Po
* Yuen Wo Playground in Sha Tin
* Man Yee Playground in Sai Kung
* Po Hong Park in Tseung Kwan O
* [http://www.fehd.gov.hk/events/market/ Auction of stalls by government]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.