- London (band)
Infobox musical artist
Name = London
Background = group_or_band
Riff Regan Jon Moss
"This article is about the English band London. For the American band with the same name, see London. "
London were a four piece punk band formed in London in 1976 and were best known for their wild stage act. The line-up was
Riff Regan(Vocals), Steve Voice (Bass), Jon Moss(Drums) and Dave Wight (Guitar). They were managed by Simon Napier-Belland recorded two singles, a 4 track EP and an album for MCA Recordsin 1977. Most of their songs were written by Riff Regan (including the first two singles "Everyone's A Winner" and "Summer of Love") or by Riff Regan and Steve Voice. All their records were produced by Napier-Bell at the IBC Studiosin London.
They toured extensively throughout 1977, first supporting
The Stranglersand then as headliners in their own right. Their third release, the single "Animal Games", was featured on the notorious Sex Pistols edition of the British TV show So It Goes.
Their final gig was at the
Marquee Clubin Wardour Street on the 8th December 1977. The band broke up shortly afterwards. On leaving, Moss joined The Damnedand then formed Culture Clubwith Boy George. Riff Reganreleased solo records before reverting to his real name of Miles Tredinnickand becoming a comedy writer; since 2005 he has also been the lead singer with the band Magic Bus.
Steve Voice formed a new band 'The Original Vampires' and Dave Wight following stints in 'Metro' and
Holly and the Italiansreverted to his real name of Colin Wight and became an academic; recently appointed [http://www.huss.ex.ac.uk/politics/staff/wight/index.php Professor of International Politics at the University of Exeter] .
MCA Records released the band's one and only album in February 1978 called "
London The Punk Rock Collection," a CD containing all their recorded work, was released on the Captain Oi! label in 1997.
The band played their first London gig in over 30 years at the
12 Bar Clubin London on Saturday 23rd February 2008. The new line-up is Riff Regan (vocals), Steve Voice (bass), Hugh O'Donnell (guitar) and Colin Watterston (drums). The latter two also play in a Salisbury band called The DBs.
* Jon Moss had been drumming in The Clash when he formed London.
* Riff Regan's name came from 'Riff' (the character in "West Side Story") and 'Regan' (John Thaw's character in the cult British TV crime series "The Sweeney").
* In 1977, Paul McCartney's daughter Heather told "The New Musical Express" that London were her favourite band along with The Damned and The Clash.
Henry Padovani, the original guitarist in The Police, once auditioned for London.
* Their song "Siouxsie Sue" was originally called "Susie Sue" and had nothing to do with the punk singer.
* Throughout 1977, London shared the same rehearsal studio in Kilburn, north London with
David Sylvianand Japan.
* Mike Mansfield directed the video for "Everyone's A Winner" in the ITN news studios in London.
* London recorded
Friday on My Mindin the same studios (IBC London) that The Easybeatsrecorded the original.
* "Everyone's A Winner" (1977 MCA Records)
* "Summer Of Love" and "Friday on My Mind" (1977 MCA Records)
* "Punk Rock" - Various Artists. (1977 Philips/Phonogram Records Brazil)
* "Animal Games" - single. (1977 MCA Records)
* "Animal Games" - album. (1978 MCA Records)
* "Meet the New Punk Wave" - Various Artists (1978 EMI Records Holland)
* "London The Punk Rock Collection" (1997 Captain Oi! Records)
Videos and film
* "Everyone's A Winner" - Director Mike Mansfield (1977 MCA Records)
* "Animal Games" - So It Goes. (1977 Granada Television)
*"London Live at the Marquee" - (1977 Italy)
* [http://www.milestredinnick.co.uk/page10.html London site]
* [http://www.milestredinnick.co.uk/page15.html Riff Regan site]
* [http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/LONDON.htm Detour Records' London site]
* [http://punkmodpop.free.fr/london_pic.htm ModPopPunk Archives London site]
* [http://www.myspace.com/londontheband The London MySpace site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.