Infobox Greek Dimos
name = Preveza
name_local = Πρέβεζα
periph = Epirus
prefec = Preveza
population = 19605
population_as_of = 2001
population_ref = [http://web.archive.org/web/20060413201756/http://www.statistics.gr/gr_tables/S1100_SAP_1_monimos2001.htm source]
pop_dens = 293
area = 66.8
elevation = 10
lat_deg = 38
lat_min = 57
lat_hem = N
lon_deg = 20
lon_min = 44
lon_hem = E
postal_code = 481 00
area_code = 26820
licence = ΡΖ
website = http://www.dimosprevezas.gr
Preveza ( _el. Πρέβεζα) is a town in northwestern
Greece, located at the mouth of the Ambracian Gulf. It is the capital of Preveza Prefecture, which is part of the periphery of Epirus. A new undersea tunnel, which runs between Preveza and Aktio of Acarnania (see Actium), connects the town to Lefkadaand western Aetoliain Aetolia-Acarnania. The ruins of the ancient city of Nicopolislie 5 km north of the city.
Preveza has TEI(Technological University)Oikonomic School, schools, lyceums or middle schools, gymnasia or secondary schools, churches, a post office, banks, restaurants, a port, supermarkets and squares ("plateies").
Preveza is also the place which saw the Battle of Actium, where
Augustus' forces defeated Mark Antonyand Cleopatra and the subsequent building of Nicopolis(victory city). As such, it is a pivotal site for world history.
Preveza is the location of the 1538
Battle of Preveza, where the outnumbered Turkish fleet of Barbarossa defeated Andrea Doria.
* [http://www.dimosprevezas.gr/ Official website] (in Greek)
* [http://www.hellas.net/index.php?category=2100 360° Virtual tours of Preveza]
* [http://www.gtp.gr/LocPage.asp?id=3001 Preveza (municipality) on GTP Travel Pages] (in English and Greek)
* [http://www.gtp.gr/LocPage.asp?id=3004 Preveza (town) on GTP Travel Pages] (in English and Greek)
* [http://preveza.teiep.gr TEI (Technological University)- Department of Finance and Auditing]
List of settlements in the Preveza prefecture
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.