- Timeline of the September 11 attacks
September 11, 2001 attackstimeline. All times are in New York Time (EDT or UTC - 4).
* 1972: One
World Trade Centercompleted.
* 1973: Two World Trade Center completed.
* c. 1981 – 1989:
Osama bin Ladenfounds Al-Qaida.
World Trade Center bombing.
Operation Bojinkais discovered by Manilapolice on a laptop computer in an apartment after a fire.
* 1996: The
Taliban, a radical Islamic movement, takes control of Afghanistan.
* 1998: The
1998 U.S. embassy bombingsin Kenyaand Tanzaniaoccur.
Indian Airlines Flight 814hijacked. One passenger dies while the others are released.
* 2000: The USS Cole is bombed in
* 1992 -
Mohammed Attaarrives in Germany.
* 1994 - Planning on
Operation Bojinkabegins in the Philippines.
* 1995 - Operation Bojinka foiled,
Said Bahajiand Ramzi Binalshibharrive in Germany.
* 1996 -
Marwan al-Shehhiand Ziad Jarraharrive in Germany.
* 1997 -
Zakariyah Essabararrives in Germany.
* 1998 - Recruitment of terrorists in Germany starts.
* 1999 -
Hamburg cellis fully formed.
* 2000 -
2000 al-Qaeda Summitin Malaysia, pilots head to the United Statesand train in flying schools.
* 2001 - Remaining hijackers go to the United States,
Zacarias Moussaouicomes to the United States and is arrested, other cell members flee Germany.
* 2001 - Financial Support.
eptember 11, 2001 timeline for the day of the attacks
All times are in local time (EDT or UTC - 4).
* 7:59 AM:
Mohamed Attaboards AA Flight 11 which under his control will crash into the World Trade Center.
* 8:18 AM: AA Flight 11 is taken over by
Mohamed Attaand other hijackers.
* 8:46 AM:
American Airlines Flight 11crashes into the World Trade Centernorth tower between the 93rd and 99th floors.
* 9:03 AM:
United Airlines Flight 175crashes into the World Trade Centersouth tower between the 77th and 85th floors.
* 9:37 AM:
American Airlines Flight 77crashes into The Pentagon.
* 9:59 AM:
South Towerof World Trade Centercollapses.
* 10:03 AM:
United Airlines Flight 93crashes into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
* 10:28 AM:
North Towerof World Trade Centercollapses.
* 5:20 PM:
7 World Trade Centercollapses.
Rest of September
September 13: The ' Star-Spangled Banner' is played during the Changing of the Guardat Buckingham Palace. Russiaobserves a minute's silence. see|September 11, 2001 attack memorials and services
September 14to September 21: Worldwide stock markets plummet. see|World economic effects arising from the September 11, 2001 attacks
September 15: CIA director George Tenetpresents the Worldwide Attack Matrix.
September 20: George W. Bushannounces that the USA is at war. see|U.S. government response to the September 11, 2001 attacks
October 1: Rudy Giulianispeaks to the United NationsGeneral Assembly.
October 7: U.S. Attack on Afghanistan commences.
* March 2002: The
Tribute in Lightproject begins.
* September 2002:
First anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacksare held throughout the world, particularly the USA.
* [http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/project.jsp?project=911_project "Complete 911 Timeline"] - Provided by the "Center for Cooperative Research".
* " [http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/27/spin/index.html White House whitewashers] " (written 27 September 2001)
* " [http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/attack.closings/ Attacks prompt widespread closings] " (written 11 September 2001)
* Barter, Sheila, " [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1540044.stm How the World Trade Center fell] ".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.