- Moldova and the European Union
Moldovacurrently aspires to join the European Union[ [http://www.moldpres.md/default.asp?Lang=en&ID=68715 Moldova will prove that it can and has chances to become EU member] , Moldpress News Agency, June 19, 2007] [http://moldovaintheworld.com/news/pm-says-moldovas-primary-goal-is-european-integration,193.html Moldova in The Word article] PM says Moldova's primary goal is European integration] and is implementing its first three-year Action Plan within the framework of the European Neighbourhood Policy(ENP) of the EU. [ [http://politicom.moldova.org/stiri/eng/40/ Moldova-EU Action Plan Approved by European Commission] , 14 December 2004, retrieved 2 July 2007]
Partnership and Cooperation Agreement(PCA) represents the legal framework for the Republic of Moldova - European Union relationship. The Agreement was signed on 28 November 1994 and entered into force on 1 July 1998 for the next 10 years. This arrangement provides for a basis of cooperation with the EU in the political, commercial, economic, legal, cultural and scientific areas.
EUis developing an increasingly close relationship with Moldova, going beyond co-operation, to gradual economic integration and a deepening of political co-operation.
The EU has included
Moldovawithin its European Neighborhood Policyinitiated in 2003, opened an office in Chişinău, and appointed on March 23, 2005 a special representative, Adriaan Jacobovits de Szeged, to Moldova to focus on the resolution of the crisis in Transnistria. The European Commissionopened up a new office in Moldova on October 6, 2005 headed by Cesare de Montis. The major strategic priority of Moldova now is membership in the European institutions [http://www.moldova.md/en/europa/ Moldova and EU on the official Moldova site] ] .
The EU Moldova Action Plan [ [http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/action_plans/moldova_enp_ap_final_en.pdf EU-Moldova Action Plan] ] is a political document laying out the strategic objectives of the cooperation between
Moldovaand the EU. It covers a timeframe of three years. Its implementation will help fulfil the provisions in the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement(PCA) and will encourage and support Moldova’s objective of further integration into European economic and social structures. Implementation of the Action Plan will significantly advance the approximation of Moldovan legislation, norms and standards to those of the European Union.
European Commision's Delegation
Delegation of the European Commissionto the Republic of Moldova was opened in Chisinauin October 2005, having the status of a diplomatic mission and officially represents the European Commissionin the Republic of Moldova.
Delegations such as the one in Moldova exist all over the world. Altogether there are over 120.
The Delegation's mandate includes:
* Promotion of the political and economic relations between the countries of accreditation and the European Union;
* Monitoring the implementation of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreements (PCA) between the EU and
* Informing the public of the development of the EU and to explain and defend individual EU policies;
* Participating in the implementation of the EU's external assistance programmes (mainly TACIS, FSP, ENPI), focusing on the support of democratic development and good governance, regulatory reform and administrative capacity building, poverty reduction and economic growth. [ [http://www.delmda.ec.europa.eu/about_us/1_en.html The Delegation's of the European Commission to Moldova Mandate] ]
Enlargement of the European Union
Foreign relations of the European Union
Georgia and the European Union
Ukraine and the European Union
* [http://ec.europa.eu/external_relations/moldova/index_en.htm europa.eu foreign relations Moldova-EU]
* [http://www.delmda.ec.europa.eu/ Delegation of the European Commission to Moldova site]
* [http://www.mfa.md/european-integration/relations-RM-EU/ www.mfa.md - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of Moldova RM-EU relations page]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.