- Film series
2 films 3 films 4 films 5 films 6 films 7 films 8 films 9 films 10 films 11-20 films 21+ films Spin-offs Remakes A-M N-Z Other articles Prequel Sequel Serial
A film series is a collection of related films in succession. Their relationship is not fixed, but generally share a common diegetic world. Sometimes the work is conceived as a multiple-film work, for example the Three Colours series, but in most cases the success of the original film inspires further films to be made. Individual sequels are relatively common, but are not always successful enough to spawn further installments.
Harry Potter is the most commercially successful film series, surpassing the Star Wars and James Bond series while Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings has the highest average. The Wong Fei Hung film series is the longest film series with 89 films.
- List of film series with more than ten entries
- List of highest-grossing franchises and film series
- List of character-based film series
- List of films based on television programs
- List of television programs based on films
- List of film series by director
- ^ "Movie Franchises - Box Office History". Nash Information Services, LLC. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/franchisesW.php. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.