- The Essex Green
Infobox Musical artist
Name = The Essex Green
Background = group_or_band
Img_capt = The Essex Green, as pictured on the cover of their album "The Long Goodbye"
Years_active = 1997-present
Label = Kindercore/Merge
Current_members = Jeff Baron
Url = [http://www.essexgreen.com www.essexgreen.com]
Indie rock/ indie pop
The Essex Green are an
indie rockband from Brooklyn, NY. The band is primarily composed of songwriters Jeff Baron, Sasha Bell and Chris Ziter, and specialize in a classic sound inspired by 1960s–1970s pop and folkin the tradition of bands like The Left Bankeand Fairport Convention.
The band formed from the ashes of the
Burlington, Vermontband Guppyboywhen members Baron, Bell, Ziter and Michael Barrett moved to Brooklyn. The Essex Green formed in 1997, adding drummer Tim Barnes, and began to play shows around New York. They issued a split-7" single with The Sixth Great Lake(a Guppyboy/Essex Green-related side project) in 1999. They were asked by Robert Schneiderto be a part of The Elephant Six Collectiveand recorded a self-titled EP, later signing to Kindercore Records, who released their first full-length album later that year. After a number of tours and the release of some EPs and singles, the group signed with Merge Recordswho released their second album in 2003. After a world tour, they headed back to the studio in fall of 2005 to begin work on their third album, " Cannibal Sea", which was released in March of 2006.
The Essex Green has released a number of albums and singles across a variety of labels.
* "The Brooklyn Basement Tapes Volume One" - 1997?
* "The Brooklyn Basement Tapes Volume Two" - 1997?
Everything Is Green" (CD/LP) - Kindercore - 1999
* "The Long Goodbye" (CD/LP) - Merge Records - 2003
Cannibal Sea" - Merge Records - 2006
ingles and EPs
* Split single with The Sixth Great Lake (7") - Sudden Shame - 1999
* "Essex Green EP" (CD/LP) - Elephant6 - 1999
* Happy Happy Birthday to Me Singles Club: April (7") - HHBTM - 2000
* Split single with The Smallgoods (7") - Low Transit Industries - 2003
* [http://www.essexgreen.com/ The Essex Green] , official site
* [http://www.stratfordprojects.com/guppyboy Guppyboy]
* [http://svt-psl.colo.netstar.se/default.aspx?entryID=197 Video: Essex Green performs The Long Way Around] for the Swedish site PSL
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.