- Science Oxford
Science Oxford (SO) is a modern
sciencegallery in Oxford, England. Set up and managed by the Oxford Trust, it is the scientific equivalent of an arts centre. It:
* encourages the pursuit of science and enterprise;
* makes science an integral part of the cultural life of
* provides a focal point for the engagement between the scientific community and the public;
* encourages young people to become scientists, technicians and engineers;
* is socially inclusive, engaging audiences not traditionally interested in science;
* improves understanding of the science-society relationship;
* contributes to the economic growth of Oxfordshire.
In September 2005, phase one of Science Oxford opened in
St Clement'sproviding for the first time a central Oxford home for its public engagement work, including the annual Festival of Science and "Hands On" [http://www.oxtrust.org.uk/handson] (previously "Curioxity"), its interactive activities for schools and families. Science Oxford provides a venue that brings scientists and the public together in a unique and stimulating environment.
The longer term plan is for Science Oxford to be located in a new building in Oxford's West End providing an alternative scientific image for the historic city of Oxford.
* [http://www.oxtrust.org.uk/ The Oxford Trust]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.