- Ernest Kouwen-Hoven
Ernest Kouwen-Hoven came to the U.S at the age of 20 from Holland. In 1908, his son, Jack, was born. His daughter, Phylis, followed in 1910. In 1915, the family arrived in
Melbourne, Floridafrom California. He purchased land and platted it in 1916, thus founding Indialantic, Florida. The plat was later revised in 1919. In the same year, he began construction of his toll bridge across the Indian River. His original " Indialantic, FloridaLand Sales" office, which was destroyed by fire in 1919, was built on Front Street in Melbourne.
During construction of his bridge he set up three sawmills throughout
Brevard County, Florida. The first one was in Melbourne Village, the second in Merritt Island and the last one 5 miles west of Grant, Florida. In 1921 his bridge was complete.
In the 1920s, Ernest, along with
Charles Steward, Claud Edge, L. G. McDowell, F.C. Powelland Ernest Everycreated the Melbourne Golf Course and Country Club in 1920. It is now the Melbourne Municipal Golf Course. In 1925, the pre-historic body of a human, dubbed the "Melbourne Man", was found there. The site can be seen from the ball fields of the Florida Air Academy.
In 1923, he built a grand home, Magnolia Manor. It was to be part of the Magnolia Park subdivision, but it never materialized. Parts of the original property have been replatted, including Magnolia Manor. This house was eventually purchased by a Robert Widrig. Mr. Widrig added 2 wings and called it the Lincoln Hotel. It ultimately failed and was revitalized as The Barcelona in 1957. The property was sold to the
Florida Air Academyin 1963.
Ernest's wife dedicated the second bridge across the
Indian Riverbetween Melbourne and Indialantic.
* Melbourne Bicentennial Book. Noreda B. McKemy and Elaine Murray Stone. Library of Congress 76-020298.
* Melbourne Beach and Indialantic. Frank J. Thomas. Tempus Publishing, Inc. 1999
* Melbourne and Eau Gallie. Karen Raley and Ann Raley Flott. Arcadia Publishing. 2002. ISBN 0-7385-1417-9.
* [http://www.brevardpropertyappraiser.com/pdfroot/BK0006/00060074.pdf Brevard County Property Appraiser. Plat Book 6, Page 74. 1926 Magnolia Park]
* [http://www.brevardpropertyappraiser.com/pdfroot/BK0011/00110078.pdf Brevard County Property Appraiser. Plat Book 11, Page 78. 1956 Magnolia Manor]
History of Florida
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.