"OWL TV" redirects here. For the student-run television station of Florida Atlantic University, see OWL TV (Florida Atlantic University).
OWL/TV is a children's educational television series that aired on the CBC, and then later on CTV, from 1985 to 1994. Its focus is nature and science discovery, emphasizing to viewers how they can have an impact on their own environment. PBS, BBC, ITV and Showtime also aired the show for a brief period. Reruns of the show have aired on YTV, and CTV. A French translation of the series also aired as Télé-Hibou on youth channel Canal Famille, today known as VRAK.TV.
Each half-hour program contains segments from several recurring features:
- Mighty Mites are three kids who possess the magical ability to shrink in size in order to explore microscopic environments.
- Animals Close Up explores various aspects of animal life. Kids meet the animals first-hand and conduct on-the-spot interviews with zoologists and experts on animal behaviour.
- Tomorrow Today looks at the future from a kid's point-of-view, brings children into working laboratories.
- Real Kids features young people who are actively involved in trying to improve their environment. These are kids who are not afraid to try. Real Kids nurtures the idea that individuals of any age can make a difference.
- You and Your Body: kids learn about themselves with the aid of a wise and witty skeleton named Bonapart.
- Bonapart shares his enthusiasm for individual action on behalf of the environment.
- Dr. Zed explores the connections between nature and science and shows kids exciting experiments.
- The Hoot Club kids set up and work through a project, solving production/performance problems, experimenting with materials, interacting with their community and environment.
The series was based from OWL Magazine.
The program's opening theme was performed by voice actress and recording artist Cree Summer.
Showtime Network programming 1980s debuts 1990s debutsBeggars and Choosers · Beverly Hills Bordello · The Busy World of Richard Scarry · Chris Cross · Dead Man's Gun · The Hoop Life · Linc's · The Outer Limits · OWL/TV · Poltergeist: The Legacy · Ready or Not · Red Shoe Diaries · Rude Awakening · Stargate SG-1 · Total Recall 2070 · Women: Stories of Passion 2000s debutsAmerican Candidate · Barbershop: The Series · Brotherhood · The Chris Isaak Show · Dead Like Me · Deeper Throat · Elite Xtreme Combat · Family Business · Fat Actress · Free for All · Going to California · Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League · Huff · Jeremiah · The L Word · Lady Chatterly's Stories · Leap Years · Lock N‘ Load · Masters of Horror · Meadowlands · Odyssey 5 · Out of Order · Penn & Teller: Bullshit! · Queer as Folk · Queer Duck · Resurrection Blvd. · Secret Diary of a Call Girl · ShoXC · Sleeper Cell · Soul Food · Tracey Ullman's State of the Union · The Tudors · Damon Wayans‘ The Underground · This American Life · United States of Tara 2010s debutsThe Franchise CurrentBeach Heat: Miami (since 2010) · Big Brother: After Dark (since 2007–present) · The Big C (since 2010) · Body Language (since 2008) · The Borgias (since 2011) · Californication (since 2007) · Dexter (since 2006) · Episodes (since 2011) · Gigolos (since 2011) · The Green Room with Paul Provenza (since 2010) · Homeland (since 2011) · Inside NASCAR (since 2010) · Inside the NFL (since 2008) · La La Land (since 2010) · Nurse Jackie (since 2009) · Shameless (since 2011) · ShoBox: The New Generation (since 2001) · The Real L Word (since 2010) · ShoMMA (since 2009) · Showtime Championship Boxing (since 1986) · Web Therapy (since 2011) · Weeds (since 2005) UpcomingHouse of Lies (2012)
- ABC (current)
- CBS (current)
- NBC (current)
- Canadian children's television series
- CBC network shows
- CTV Television Network shows
- PBS network shows
- Disney Channel shows
- Showtime (TV network) original programs
- 1985 Canadian television series debuts
- 1994 Canadian television series endings
- Television programs based on magazines
- Canadian television stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.