- Saliva (band)
Infobox musical artist
Nu metal/ Rapcore(early)cite web|last=Sharpe-Young|first=Garry|title=MusicMight Biography|url=http://musicmight.com/artist/usa/memphis/saliva|accessdate=2008-09-15] Hard rock/ Post-grunge(later)cite web|last=Sharpe-Young|first=Garry|title=Allmusic Biography|url=http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kifrxqesldhe|accessdate=2008-09-15]
Years_active =1996 - present
URL = [http://www.saliva.com Saliva.com]
Josey ScottWayne Swinny Dave Novotny Paul Crosby Jonathan Montoya
Past_members =Chris D'abaldo Todd Poole
Saliva is an American
alternative rockband formed in Memphis, Tennesseein September 1996and currently under Island/Def Jam Records. Saliva released their self-titled debut album on August 26, 1997under Rocking Chair Records/Red Urban Records.
In 2001, Saliva was signed to
Def Jam Recordsand went on to release their second studio album Every Six Seconds. Saliva later recorded their third studio album titled Back Into Your Systemon November 12, 2002which reached #19 on the Billboard 200. "Back Into Your System" launched one of Saliva's most successful songs, Always, reaching #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the Modern Rock Chart. Saliva then released Survival of the Sickeston August 17, 2004reaching #20 on the Billboard 200. Three years after "Survival Of The Sickest", Saliva released Blood Stained Love Storyon January 23, 2007repeating "Back Into Your System"'s chart performance at #19 on the Billboard 200. Its first single was Ladies And Gentlemenwhich closely made it into the Billboard Hot 100 at #101 and #2 on the Modern Rock Chart.
Saliva are currently in studio recording their sixth studio album expected for a release this fall according to Josey Scott.Fact|date=September 2008
Saliva was originally founded in
Memphis, Tennesseein September 1996. After competing in the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences Grammy Showcase competition, where they advanced to the final round in New York City, the group self-released their self-titled debut album which sold over 10,000 copies in their region, prompting Island Recordsto take notice. Their Island debut " Every Six Seconds" was released in 2001, followed by " Back Into Your System" in 2002, which included the chart topping hits "Always", and "Rest In Pieces" co-written by James Michaeland Nikki Sixxof Mötley Crüe. The band toured in 2003, opening for Kiss and Aerosmith.
May 29, 2005, guitarist Chris D'abaldo announced he had left the band "for obvious reasons, as the band is not a unit anymore." He then shortly retracted his statement and apologized, declaring on the band's website that "there was a bit of an issue we're working through and we're looking forward to recording a new album later this year". [cite web|url=http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1503377/20050602/story.jhtml|title=Saliva lose their guitarist|date=June 2 2005|accessdate=2008-01-30|publisher=MTV] However, the band's website later apologized again for the confusion and confirmed that due to "creative differences", D'abaldo was in fact leaving the band, but that Saliva was "completely moving forward as planned and [has] our best music ahead of us". D'abaldo eventually moved on to start the band Smolder; shortly after his departure, Jonathan Montoya replaced him in Saliva's lineup.
Saliva released the album "
Blood Stained Love Story" on January 23, 2007. The single, titled " Ladies and Gentlemen" was released to radio stations and made it to #2 (according to Billboard.com) on the US Mainstream Rock charts. It has also been included as the background music for a number of Sony's commercials for the PlayStation 3, and can also frequently be heard on the band's MySpaceprofile. The track was used as the theme song for WWE's Wrestlemania 23 pay-per-view. The second single released off of the album was "Broken Sunday", which reached #8 on the Mainstream Rock chart, and is frequently on the Siriustop 20 on Octane. Saliva's tour manager Chris stated that the new single off "Blood Stained Love Story" would be "King of the Stereo".
In an interview on Rockline Radio the band announced that they had written new material, and would heading back into the studio with Bob Marlette in the near future to begin on their sixth album. The album is expected to be released in the fall of 2008.
In an interview with WWE on February 27, Scott said “We’re going to go in the studio probably around May and record our next record. If you like "Ladies and Gentlemen" and "
Click Click Boom", and more dynamic stuff, it’s going to be an ass-whooping of a record. It’s going to be 45 minutes of ass-whooping!” [cite web |url=http://www.wwe.com/subscriptions/wwetunes/vol8/exclusives/salivaecw |title=Saliva talk about the new album |date=February 27, 2008|accessdate=2008-01-30 |publisher=WWE] Saliva toured with Sevendustin South Korea, Japanand a brief stint in Europeuntil July 2008.
As of April 30, 2008, Octane 20 on Sirius Satellite Radio began playing a new song titled "Don't Question My Heart", featuring
Brent Smithfrom Shinedown. The song can be found on the album " WWE The Music, Vol. 8", and is the official television theme song for the ECW brand.
According to Harddrive, Saliva have changed the title of their upcoming studio album to ‘Cinqo Diablo‘. The album will be in stores on December 16th while the first single, “Family Reunion”, impacts radio on October 28th.
A tour with Drowning Pool, Tantric and Jet Black Stare will kick off on October 17th.
The band's first two albums, the self titled debut and
Every Six Secondstend to have a Nu Metal/ Rapcoresound, a trend in Metal music made popular by the likes of Limp Bizkitand Korn. Although they have since departed from the style and are now considered as Hard rock/ Alternative metaland Post Grungein more recent albums.
* "800 (New Edit)" (4:37) - From the Resident Evil Soundtrack
* "After Me (Radio Edit)" (3:44) - From After Me (Single)
* "Always (Acoustic)" - From the Y100 Sonic Sessions Volume 7
* "Bleed for Me" (3:59) - From the /Rest in Pieces (Single)
* "Click Click Boom (Radio Edit)" (4:08) - From Click Click Boom (Single)
* "Don't Question My Heart (ECW)" (3:39) From WWE The Music Volume 8
* "Fake"- From Early 2-Track Demo also featuring Doperide
* "King of My World" (3:57) - From
* "I Walk Alone" (3:47) - From
WWE Wreckless Intent
* "Message of Love" (3:48) - From the Not Another Teen Movie Soundtrack
* "Spy Hunter Theme" (4:19) - From
* "Spy Hunter Theme (Instrumental)" (4:19) - From
* "Superstar II (EA Mix)" - From Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003
* "Rest in Pieces (Acoustic)" (3:34) - From Rest in Pieces (Single)
* "Turn the Tables" (4:23) - From
WWF Forceable Entry
* "Time" (4:44)- From the Soundtrack
* "Your Disease (Acoustic)" (4:17) - From Your Disease (Single)
*"Your Disease" - From Back into Your System UK Edition/Your Disease (Single)
*"Click Click Boom" - From Back into Your System UK Edition
*"Always" - From Always (Single)
*"Rest in Pieces"
*"Spy Hunter" - From the Spy Hunter Video Game
*"Survival of the Sickest"
*"Ladies and Gentlemen"
In pop culture
Saliva's music has often been licensed to production companies and sports organizations to be used in television commercials and promotion
* The band has been well known to supply music for
World Wrestling Entertainment(WWE). Batista's most recent entrance theme titled "I Walk Alone" is by the band. They have also recorded themes for the Dudley Boyz("Get the Tables") and Chris Jericho("King of My World"); the latter was only used sparingly. Furthermore, WWE has used the band's music for pay-per-viewthemes, such as " Click Click Boom" for "No Mercy 2001", "Superstar" for WrestleMania X8, " Always" for Survivor Series 2002, " Survival of the Sickest" for Unforgiven 2004, and " Ladies and Gentlemen" for WrestleMania 23. The band has appeared as a special guest for both WrestleMania X8 and Survivor Series 2002 and performed live at both events. WWE has also used the song "Don't Question My Heart" for the new ECW brand, the song is by Saliva and lead singer of Shinedown Brent Smith.
* Their songs have also been used for wrestler entrance themes for the
Ohio Valley Wrestling(OVW), including "Your Disease" for The Blonde Bombers (better known as former WWE tag team "The Dicks"). Indy Wrestler Big Bully Douglas uses "Click Click Boom" as his entrance theme.
* "Ladies and Gentlemen" is the soundtrack for the highlight video the
Gwinnett Gladiators, Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays, Wisconsin Badgers footballand the Auburn Tigers Footballplay before their home games. It is also played during the Anaheim Duckspre-game show. It was also used in an ad for the New York Rangers' 2007 playoff run on the MSG Network. It was also used as a temporary intro theme for NFL Network's NFL Total Accessshow for the week leading up to Super Bowl XLI. In 2007, it was used in the USA's Play Beyond adverts for the PlayStation 3. It is also used as the soundtrack for the highlight video for the Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins. It is also used as the intro theme for the Missouri Tigersbasketball team.
* "Click Click Boom" was used in ads for the short-lived TNT series "Wanted", of which Josey Scott was a co-star.
* "Your Disease" was featured in the
video games " Aggressive Inline", " Downhill Domination", a trailer for "", and Wes Craven's " Dracula 2000".
* "After Me" appears in the video game "The Thing".
* "Click Click Boom" appears in the video games "
Project Gotham Racing", " BMX XXX", "MX 2002 featuring Ricky Carmichael", and " Test Drive Overdrive" and in the movies " The New Guy", " Cradle 2 the Grave", "The Fast and the Furious", " How High" and "".
* "Superstar" served as a theme for the movie "The Fast and the Furious" and appears in the video games "Legends of Wrestling II", "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003" and "MX 2002 featuring Ricky Carmichael". It even appears in the first "
Dragonball Z" special, namely "". It also can be heard on the film " Poolhall Junkies".
* "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003" also features "Raise Up" during gameplay and their song "Superstar II", which was remixed and censored.
Survival of the Sickest" appears as the main theme for "".
* Lead singer Josey Scott has collaborated with artists such as
Lil Wyte("Homicidal, Suicidal", "Crazy"), X-Ecutioners("(Even More) Human Than Human" w/Slug & Rob Zombie), Chad Kroeger("Hero"), Three 6 Mafia("Mosh Pit" w/Lil Wyte, "Getting Fucked Up") Breaking Point("Brother") and Brent Smith("Don't Question My Heart").
* "Rest In Pieces" was featured in the TV show "One Tree Hill"."Rest In Pieces" was written by Motley Crue bassist, Nikki Sixx, who also has a cameo in the video.
* "Ladies and Gentlemen" is currently being used as the theme song for "
Last One Standing" on The Discovery Channel.
* "King of the Stereo" appears in the soundtrack of racing game "
Project Gotham Racing 4".
* 'Doperide' appears in Travis Pastrana's freestyle motocross video "Revolution 199".
* Superstar (from Every Six Seconds) also appeared in the movie 'Pool Hall Junkies' with Mars Callahan & Christopher Walken. It was the theme for the big show down as it were.
* [http://www.saliva.com Official website]
* [http://www.myspace.com/saliva Saliva] at
* [http://savagemultimedia.com/wtc_my_goodbyes.htm World Trade Center "My goodbyes" video]
* [http://www.floridaentertainmentscene.com/music/artists/saliva/interview/index.htm Interview with Paul Crosby]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.