- Mount Pleasant High School (San Jose, California)
Mount Pleasant High School Address 1750 South White Road
San Jose, California, 95127
Coordinates Coordinates: Information Type Public Opened 1980 School district East Side Union High School District Principal Teresa Marquez Grades 9-12 Number of students 1798 Color(s) Red and black  Athletics conference CIF North Coast Section Bay Valley Athletic League Mascot Cardinals Website mp.esuhsd.org
After selling his high-tech businesses, Steve Poizner worked at the school as an instructor, writing about it in Mount Pleasant: My Journey from Creating a Billion-Dollar Company to Teaching at a Struggling Public High School, a book released in April 2010. Poizner invoked hyperbole while describing the school, including exaggerating crime and graduation rates at the school and in the neighborhood. Ira Glass and This American Life exposed the differences between Poizner's account and the true story of the school, with Glass calling the story "obviously and provably untrue." Mount Pleasant's high school principal, Teresa Marquez, cancelled Poizner's visit to the school, then Marquez and students protested the book at a book signing. The book reached the fifth position of the New York Times bestseller list, but that was possibly through altering of the sales data by ResultSource, a book marketing company.
- Jhonen Vasquez, comics artist and creator of the popular animated series Invader Zim
- Ken Williams, general manager for the 2005 World Series Champions Chicago White Sox
- ^ "California School Directory". California Department of Education. http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/sd/details.asp?cds=43694274334900&public=Y. Retrieved 2007-01-15.
- ^ a b c "CIF Directory". http://www.cifccs.org/Directory/Website%20directory%2009-10-Feb.pdf. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ Roberts, Jerry (2010-04-08). "Capitol Letters: When it rains, it pours". Santa Barbara Independent. http://independent.com/news/2010/apr/08/meg-millions/. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ a b Maclachlan, Malcolm. "Hundreds reportedly received unsolicited copies of Poizner memoir". Capitol Weekly. http://www.capitolweekly.net/article.php?xid=ysyfbxbaesxv63. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ "Shelve Under Fiction? Steve Poizner's Book Lambasted for Misjudging San Jose Neighborhood, School". LAist. http://laist.com/2010/04/27/shelve_under_fiction_poizners_book.php. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ "Public radio's Ira Glass calls Poizner book 'so obviously and probably untrue'". Los Angeles Times. 2010-04-26. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2010/04/ira-glass-steve-poizner-book-mount-pleasant.html. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ Saunders, Debra J. (8 April 2010). "Republican volunteers at school - oh, the horrors". San Francisco Gate. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-08/opinion/20840289_1_poizner-students-countless-educators. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ Greene, Jessica (2010-04-02). "Outraged Protesters Confront Poizner at Book Signing". KNTV. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/Upset-Crowd-Confronts-Poizner-at-Book-Signing-89768187.html. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ^ "Internal Affairs: The mysterious case of Poizner's best-selling book". The Mercury News. 2010-05-02. http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14993102?source=rss&nclick_check=1. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Mount Pleasant High School profile provided by greatschools.net (contains pop-ups)
- Mount Pleasant High School profile provided by NNDB
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.