- Gimli, Manitoba
official_name = Rural Municipality of Gimli, Manitoba
image_caption = Gimli harbour in October
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_type3 = Region
subdivision_name4 = Gimvestitian
leader_title = Mayor
leader_name = Tammy Axelsson
established_title = Founded
established_date = October, 1875
March 15, 1887
area_land_km2 = 326.3
population_as_of = 2006
population_density_km2 = 18.2
population_urban = 5797
population_density_urban_km2 = 319.25
latd= 50|latm= 38|lats= 1|latNS=N
longd= 96|longm= 59|longs= 26|longEW=W
elevation_ft = 728
postal_code_type = Postal code
postal_code = R0C 1B0
area_code = 204
website = [http://www.rmgimli.com www.rmgimli.com]
Gimli is a
rural municipalityand the town of the same name located within it in south-central Manitoba, Canada. It is located on the western shore of Lake Winnipeg, about seventy-five kilometres north of the provincial capital Winnipeg, and close to the small town of Fraserwood. The town (population 5,797 Statistics Canada 2006 census) and surrounding area constitute an Icelandic ethnic block settlement, and are home to the largest Icelandic Canadianpopulation outside of Iceland, a fact which gives the town its nickname "The Capital of New Iceland."
Large employers in Gimli include Faroex and the Gimli Distillery.
* [http://www.faroex.com/ Faroex Ltd.] produces composite components for use in the agricultural, automotive, consumer and military supply industries since 1981. Faroex's first product was POLYGRATE flooring and support framing system, which is made out of advanced plastic and fiberglass and is used in hog production.
* The Gimli Distillery opened in 1968. The plant currently employs 72 people with an annual payroll, including benefits, of almost $4 million. The operation is situated on two quarters of land and comprises a production building, barrel filling and dumping, and 46 warehouses to store the maturing whiskies. The plant and its people are responsible for providing the company's global Canadian whisky requirement. In particular, Gimli is the source of
* The fishery has over 100 fishers of white fish and pickerel [http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sch/Forum/foru111_e.pdf]
* During the summer months, tourism is a major industry, as thousands of summer cottagers fill the town of Gimli, especially on weekends. Hotels, restaurants and stores cater to the summer visitors.
Arts and culture
* [http://www.gimlifilmfestival.com Gimli Film Festival] was the brain child of Icelandic/Canadian filmmaker
Jon Gustafssonwhen he wanted to show his locally shot feature film Kanadianato the people of Gimli. The opening night film at the first festival was Tales From the Gimli Hospitalby Guy Maddin. Other founding members were Senator Janis Johnson, and filmmakers Caelum Vatnsdaland Matt Holm.
* [http://www.icelandicfestival.com/ Icelandic Festival] of Manitoba, Íslendingadagurinn, is held on the long weekend in August. The first Icelandic festival in Manitoba was held in Winnipeg in 1890; it was held there annually until 1931, and since 1932 has been held in Gimli.
David Arnason- Writer and English professor born in Gimli.
Leo Kristjanson- Economist and President of the University of Saskatchewanfrom 1980-89.
*John MacDonald - Canadian musician who plays the
French horn. (He and his family left when he was three years old.)
Vilhjálmur Stefánsson- Ethnologist and explorer born in Gimli.
Eric Stefanson- Retired Manitoba Progressive Conservative politician born in Gimli.
W. D. Valgardson- Writer and professor raised in Gimli.
Michael Ewanchuk- Writer of Ukrainian historybooks and school inspector born in Gimli.
*George Johnson - Physician and former Minister of Education and Health in Manitoba.
* " [http://www.themanitoban.com/1998-1999/0210/f5.html We are all from Gimli] - Jewel of Lake Winnipeg's southwestern" shore by Caelum Vatnsdal, Features Editor of The Manitoban.
Gimli Industrial Park Airport
* [http://www.gimli.ca Rural Municipality of Gimli, Manitoba Official site]
* CBC Archives - [http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-240-1155-11/life_society/gimli_glider/ July 23, 1983 - Air Canada 767 lands without fuel]
* Local newspaper [http://www.interlakespectator.com Interlake Spectator]
* Evergreen School Division: http://www.esd.mb.ca
* Dr. George Johnson School: http://www.esd.mb.ca/schools/gjms/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.