- Sleepless in the Saddle
" Sleepless in the Saddle " (SITS) is a global series of 24-hour mountain bike races.
The format of the race allows entries to either be from solo riders, or by teams of varying sizes who ride in relay.
This is an endurance style event based on cross country tracks. The terrain is not so much the challenge as the battle against your mind and the elements. Racing continues throughout the night, with riders mounting lightweight but powerful lights onto their bikes.
The winner of the race is the person, or team, who cover the maximum distance in the 24 hour time period. Tactics are key, especially for solo competitors. Sleep and ride fast or battle through the tiredness and notch up the extra lap?
The races are held in the USA, UK, and Australia. In the UK they have been held at
Catton Parkand Trentham Gardens.
The first race was held in the UK in 2001 at Trentham Gardens. The UK races moved to Catton Park in 2005.
The race became a series in 2006 with additional rounds in the USA and Australia.
The 2006 US Race was held at Snow Mountain Ranch,
Granby, Colorado. The 2007 US race has been cancelled.
The 2006 Australian Race was held at Redesdale, Victoria.
The 2007 Australian venue is to be announced, but will be in Victoria state.
Since 2005, the series has been sponsored by Kona, previously it was sponsored by
Mountain bike racing
24 Hours of Adrenalin
* [http://www.konasits.co.uk/ Sleepless in the Saddle (UK)]
* [http://sleeplessinthesaddleusa.com/home/index.php Sleepless in the Saddle (USA)]
* [http://www.kona24hour.com/ Kona 24 hour (Australia)]
* [http://www.singletrackworld.com/results/2003-sits/index.html UK 2003]
* [http://www.singletrackworld.com/results/2004-sits/index.html UK 2004]
* [http://results.singletrackworld.com/event.php?id=2 UK 2005]
* [http://results.singletrackworld.com/event.php?id=5 UK 2006]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.