- Ondine (film)
Promotional movie poster for the film
Directed by Neil Jordan Produced by Ben Browning
Written by Neil Jordan Starring Colin Farrell
Music by Kjartan Sveinsson Cinematography Christopher Doyle Editing by Tony Lawson Studio Wayfare Entertainment
Distributed by Magnolia Pictures
Release date(s) March 5, 2010 (Ireland)
June 4, 2010 (US)
Running time 111 minutes Country Ireland Language English
Syracuse (Colin Farrell), called "Circus", is an Irish fisherman and former drunk, with a daughter named Annie, who is suffering kidney failure and uses a motorized wheelchair, and an ex-wife named Maura. One day, he finds a young woman (Alicja Bachleda-Curus) in his net, who he resuscitates. The woman is disoriented, but refuses hospitalization and doesn't want to be seen by people, so Syracuse takes her to his deceased mother’s house. Later, at dialysis, he tells Annie a story about a fisherman who pulled in his nets and discovered a woman. Annie believes the woman in the net is a Selkie or a mermaid.
- Colin Farrell as Syracuse
- Alicja Bachleda as Ondine
- Stephen Rea as Priest
- Dervla Kirwan as Maura
- Don Wycherley as Kettle
- Carrie Crowley
- Alison Barry as Annie
Ondine had its European premiere as part of the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival on February 18, 2010 in Dublin, Ireland. The film was released in the United States on June 4, 2010 by Magnolia Pictures with a MPAA Rating of PG-13 for some violence, sensuality and brief strong language.
The film currently holds a 70% Fresh rating on Review Aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes based on 94 reviews. Critics have praised the film for its atmospheric almost dreamlike quality while some have criticized the ending. Critics have also praised the performance of Alison Barry as Annie, with Mary Pols stating: "Barry is such a relaxed and strong performer that she manages to shrug off the burden of Annie's precociousness."
Awards and nominations
The Irish Film and Television Awards for Ondine (Octagon Films), February 20, 2010:
- Actor in a Lead Role: Film: Colin Farrell
- Supporting Actress in a Film: Dervla Kirwan
- Production Design: Anna Rackard
- Sound: Brendan Deasy, Tom Johnson & Sarah Gaines
- ^ "Ondine Scoops Golden Goblet for Best Cinematography at Prestigious Shanghai Festival". irishfilmboard.ie. http://www.irishfilmboard.ie/irish_film_industry/news/Ondine_Scoops_Golden_Goblet_for_Best_Cinematography_at_Prestigious_Shanghai_Festival/1317-. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- ^ "Movie review: 'Ondine' By Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times Film Critic". latimes. June 4, 2010. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/04/entertainment/la-et-ondine-20100604. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- ^ a b c d e f "IFTN - Rea, Kirwan & Wycherley Join Farrell For 'Ondine'". Iftn.ie. http://www.iftn.ie/actors/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4281409&tpl=archnews&force=1. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Ondine's Rating on". Rottentomatoes.com. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ondine/. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- ^ "Review from LA times". Articles.latimes.com. 2010-06-04. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/04/entertainment/la-et-ondine-20100604. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Review From Philonfilm". Philonfilm.blogspot.com. 2010-03-04. http://philonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-ondine.html. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ "Review from". NYpost.com. 2010-06-04. http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/not_great_yarn_JerYWKQEHojDVTS0Az614H. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ Pols, Mary (2010-06-03). "Review from". Time.com. http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1994056,00.html. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Official U.S. website
- Facebook page
- Ondine at the Internet Movie Database
- Interviews with Neil Jordan, Colin Farrell and Alicja Bachleda, 2010
Films directed by Neil Jordan 1980s 1990s 2000s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.