- Mina Cheon
Mina Cheon Born 31 July 1973
Mina Cheon Hangul 천민정 Revised Romanization Cheon Minjeong McCune–Reischauer Ch'ǒn Minjǒng
Early life and education
Cheon was born in Seoul, South Korea. Being the daughter of a South Korean diplomat and cultural attache, she grew up in the cities of Seoul, New York, Copenhagen, and Ottawa. She received a PhD in Philosophy of Media and Communications from the European Graduate School, European University for Interdisciplinary Studies, Switzerland in 2008 and is currently on the faculty of Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA).
One of Cheon's educational contributions has been the international art program and exchange that she has led with architect Gabriel Kroiz, and between American and Korean art, architecture, and design students. She has directed international art education since 2004, working with universities in Seoul such as Hongik University, Korea National University of Arts, and with Ewha Woman's University in 2010, taking students from Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) and Morgan State University to South Korea.
Cheon has exhibited her "Political Pop Art" work internationally, which includes new media art, interactive media, installation art, and performance art work. Her solo exhibitions include: "Groundless" at Lance Fung Gallery, New York, (2002); "Dizz/placement" at Insa Art Space, Art Council, Seoul, Korea; "Addressing Dolls" at C.Grimalids Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland (named as "Best Solo Exhibition" by City Paper); and "Political Pop Art" at The Sungkok Art Museum, Seoul, Korea (2012).
Cheon's Shamanism + Cyberspace (Atropos Press, New York and Dresden; ISBN 0982530951) was published in 2009.
- ^ Roper, Derek (2010-09-20), "Mina Cheon speaks of her multicultural artistic pursuits", The Retriever Weekly, http://www.retrieverweekly.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=5792&format=html, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ^ "Mina Cheon", Faculty: Art History, Theory, Criticism, Foundation, Interactive Media & Liberal Arts Programs & Minors, Maryland Institute College of Art, http://www.mica.edu/About_MICA/People/Faculty/Faculty_List_by_Last_Name/Mina_Cheon.html, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ^ "Best Solo Show: Mina Cheon Addressing Dolls At C. Grimaldis Gallery", Baltimore City Paper, 2008-09-17, http://www2.citypaper.com/bob/story.asp?id=16698, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ^ Noonan, Kate (2008-03-26), "Mina Cheon: Addressing Dolls: At C. Grimaldis Gallery Through March 29", Baltimore City Paper, http://www2.citypaper.com/arts/story.asp?id=15492, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ^ McNatt, Glenn (2008-03-15), "'Dolls' reflects drama in Korea", Baltimore Sun, http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2008-03-15/features/0803150302_1_cheon-artist-mina-grimaldis-gallery, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ^ "전시회 ‘인형을 통해 말하다’; 인형으로 남북한의 현실 표현 – 천민정 교수", Voice of America, 2008-03-24, http://www.voanews.com/korean/news/a-35-2008-03-24-voa25-91340564.html, retrieved 2011-09-17
- Article by Cheon in the Baltimore Sun
- Mina Cheon was awarded the 2010 Martin Luther King Unity Week Award at MICA*http://www.mica.edu/News/MICAs_Unity_Week_Takes_Place_Through_Friday_Jan_22.html
- Mina Cheon's book Shamanism + Cyberspace. http://www.mica.edu/News/Faculty_Mina_Cheon_99_Publishes_First_Book.html
- Mina Cheon's participation on the panel, The Martin Luther King Junior Special on the Marc Steiner Show*http://www.steinershow.org/radio/the-marc-steiner-show/january-18-2010
- Mina Cheon's interview on Maryland Morning*http://mdmorn.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/118102/
- Review of Mina Cheon's Artist Keynote Address Speech for the MICA MLK Unity Week*http://www.mica.edu/News/MICA_Faculty_Member_Mina_Cheon_99_Delivers_Unity_Week_Artist_Keynote_Address_in_Dedication_to_Flores_McGarrell_97_98.html
- The Shaman Panel with Mina Cheon in the Juxtapose Magazine*http://www.juxtapoz.com/92-Gaia/26884-the-shaman-a-panel-with-mina-cheon-john-peacock-and-leslie-king-hammon
- Mina Cheon's nomination for Baker Artist Award*http://bakerartistawards.org/nomination/view/minacheon
- Review of Dizz/placement by Alex Castro on the Urbanite*http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/baltimore/eye-to-eye/Content?oid=1246768
- Mina Cheon collaborates with Markand Thakar*http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/project/2008/teams/team7/
- Mina Cheon's participation to I am Korean American*http://iamkoreanamerican.com/2010/03/08/mina-cheon/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.