- Cruise (name)
In Ireland, Cruise is an old surname of Anglo-Norman origin which has been present there since the Anglo-Norman invasion in 1169. The family held lands in Counties Dublin and Meath. In early records the name is mostly spelled de Cruys/Cruys, and sometimes Cruce or Crues, but the spelling evolved to Cruise, and this is now the predominant spelling of the surname in Ireland today. Some time before 1176 Augustino de Cruce witnessed a grant by Strongbow of land in Dublin, and this is the earliest reference to the surname in Ireland found to date. According to World Names Public Profiler, the highest density of the surname Cruise is still to be found in Ireland, particularly in County Dublin.
People with the surname Cruise
- Julee Cruise, American singer
- Tom Cruise, an American film actor and producer
- Conor Cruise O'Brien, Irish politician
- ^ T. Gilbert (ed.), Register of the abbey of St Thomas, Dublin (London, 1889), 370. Cited in An Archaeological and Historical Assessment of Cruicetown Church and Graveyard, Cruicetown, Co. Meath. Commissioned by the Cruicetown Cemetery Conservation Committee and carried out by the Discovery Programme’s Medieval Rural Settlement Project, issued 27 May 2005.
- ^ http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/
This page or section lists people with the surname Cruise. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.