- Charles Noel, 2nd Earl of Gainsborough
Charles George Noel, 2nd Earl of Gainsborough (5 September 1818 – 13 August 1881), styled Viscount Campden between 1841 and 1866, was a British peer and Whig politician.
Gainsborough was the only child of Charles Noel, 1st Earl of Gainsborough, by his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of the Hon. Sir George Grey, 1st Baronet. His mother died two weeks after he was born. He was the half-brother of Gerard Noel. He was educated privately and at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Gainsborough succeeded his uncle William Noel as Member of Parliament for Rutland in 1840, but only held the seat until the following year. He then served a year as High Sheriff of Rutland for 1848. In 1866 he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. The following year he was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Rutland, which he remained until his death.
Lord Gainsborough married Ida Harriet Augusta, daughter of William Hay, 18th Earl of Erroll and Elizabeth FitzClarence, illegitimate daughter of King William IV, in 1841. They had five children.
- Lady Blanche, (c.1845-1881), who married Thomas Murphy
- Lady Constance, (1847-1891), who married Sir Henry Bellingham, 4th Baronet
- Charles, 3rd Earl of Gainsborough
- Edward, (1852-1917), who married Ruth Lucas
- Lady Edith, (died 1890), who became a nun.
Lady Gainsborough died in October 1867. Lord Gainsborough remained a widower until his death in August 1881, aged 62. He was succeeded in the earldom by his eldest son, Charles.
- ^ a b http://thepeerage.com/p2766.htm#i27652www.thepeerage.com
- ^ Noel, the Hon. CHarles George in Venn, J. & J. A., Alumni Cantabrigienses, Cambridge University Press, 10 vols, 1922–1958.
- ^ http://thepeerage.com/p2766.htm#i27652www.thepeerage.com, http://www.leighrayment.com/commons/Rcommons2.htmLeigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- ^ http://thepeerage.com/p2766.htm#i27652www.thepeerage.com, http://www.leighrayment.com/peers/peersG1.htmLeigh Rayment's Peerage Pages
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Noel
Parliament of the United Kingdom Preceded by
Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bt
Member of Parliament for Rutland
1840 – 1841
With: Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bt
Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bt
Hon. William Dawnay
Honorary titles Preceded by
High Sheriff of Rutland
John Thomas Springthorpe
The Marquess of Exeter
Lord Lieutenant of Rutland
1867 – 1881
The Earl of Dysart
Peerage of the United Kingdom Preceded by
Charles Noel Noel
Earl of Gainsborough
1866 – 1881
- 1818 births
- 1881 deaths
- Earls in the Peerage of the United Kingdom
- High Sheriffs of Rutland
- Lord-Lieutenants of Rutland
- Members of the United Kingdom Parliament for English constituencies
- UK MPs 1837–1841
- Whig (British political party) MPs
- Alumni of Trinity College, Cambridge
- Converts to Roman Catholicism from Anglicanism
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.