- Lambchop (band)
Infobox musical artist
Name = Lambchop
Img_capt = Lambchop playing at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester, August 2004
Background = group_or_band
Alias = Posterchild
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Genre = Alt-country
Years_active = 1986–present
Label = Merge
Clockhammer, My Dad Is Dead, Silver Jews
URL = [http://www.lambchop.net/ www.lambchop.net]
Current_members = Kurt Wagner
Matt Swanson Alex McManus Deanna Varagona Marc Trovillion Ryan Norris
Paul Niehaus Roy Agee John Delworth
Lambchop, originally Posterchild, is a band from Nashville,
Tennessee. Lambchop is loosely associated with the alternative countrygenre, though its music resists easy classification. The music website Allmusicrefers to them as "arguably the most consistently brilliant and unique American group to emerge during the 1990s". [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:ki3ibkj9hakb]
Never a band with a "core" lineup, Lambchop through the years has consisted of a large and fluid collective of musicians focused around its creative centre, frontman Kurt Wagner. Initially indebted to traditional country, the music has subsequently moved through a range of influences including
post-rock, soul and lounge music.
Whatever the style, the characteristic mood of Lambchop's music is evoked by Wagner's distinctive songwriting - lyrically subtle and ambiguous, the vocals melodic but understated. Setting this apart from other minimalist songwriters is the large group of backing musicians, with the range of instruments and styles that it brings. Wagner's songwriting bears similarities with soul musicians such as
Barry White, Curtis Mayfieldand Marvin Gayeas much as with country and folk music, and can be seen to embody Kris Kristofferson’s dictum that “country music is the white man’s soul”.
I Hope You're Sitting Down/Jack's Tulips"
How I Quit Smoking"
What Another Man Spills"
Tools in the Dryer"
Is a Woman"
No You Cmon"
The Decline of Country and Western Civilization (1993-1999)"
*2006 "Succulence (Live ORF, Vienna) (Tour Only)"
*2008 "OH (Ohio)"
The Queens Royal Trimma" (Live Royal Festival Hall, London – Tour Only)"
Treasure Chest of the Enemy" (Tour Only)
Pet Sounds Sucks" (Live Great American Music Hall, SF – Tour Only)"
CoLab" (with Hands Off Cuba)
*2007 "No Such Silence"
* [http://www.lambchop.net/ Official website]
* [http://www.99matters.de/lambchop/ Video Interview Kurt Wagner: "What is really important to you?"]
* [http://subculturemagazine.com/reviewdetails.php?id=307 Review of "Damaged"] on Subculture Magazine
* [http://www.musicemissions.com/display_review/1384 Various Lambchop album reviews]
* [http://www.answers.com/topic/lambchop-band Lambchop] at
* [http://lorseau.hinah.com/gallery.php?c=pzic&s=concert&g=lambchop Concert photos] by Laurent Orseau
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/10/30/lambchop_review_feature.shtml BBC gig review]
* [http://shuffleboil.com/2008/01/09/lambchop-interview/ Interview with Kurt Wagner]
* [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16246411 Lambchop on
* [http://exclaim.ca/articles/multiarticlesub.aspx?csid1=126&csid2=946&fid1=34043 Conversations: Lambchop's Kurt Wagner]
* [http://www.themusicmagazine.co.uk/reviews/albums/lamchop-ohio Review of OH (Ohio) at The Music Magazine]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.