- Violet Blue (author)
name = Violet Blue (author)
caption = Self-portrait of Violet Blue
birthdate = September 22
nationality = USA
period =21st century
genre = Erotica and Sex Education
website = http://tinynibbles.com
Violet Blue is an American writer,
podcaster, blogger, editor, sex educator, and sex columnist.
Blue is a
blogger who writes a weekly sex column for the " San Francisco Chronicle". Her podcastis Open Source Sex, in which she reads eroticaand talks about topics such as fetishes and oral sex. [ [http://www.sfbg.com/40/08/art_music_pod.html San Francisco Bay Guardian Arts and Entertainment ] ] She also has a video blog. Blue wrote a feature about porn for women which was published in the July 2007 issue of " O, The Oprah Magazine". She lectures at San Francisco Sex Informationon the topics of oral sex and fetish. Blue is the author of several books on sex and has edited several volumes of erotica anthologies. Her first book was an erotic anthology she edited titled "Sweet Life: Erotic Fantasies for Couples" was published in December 2001 by Cleis Press.
Blue's web presence is not limited strictly to sex writing:
* She writes news and technology blog [http://www.techyum.com Techyum] .
* She is a contributor to [http://sf.metblogs.com/profile.phtml?author=1007 Metroblogging San Francisco] .
* In addition to her own [http://violet.blip.tv/ video blog] , she is a correspondent for [http://www.geekentertainment.tv/tag/violetblue Geek Entertainment Television] .
* In January 2007,
Forbesnamed her one of The Web Celeb 25. [ [http://www.forbes.com/webcelebs Web Celeb 25 list] - [http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/23/web-celeb-25-tech-media_cx_de_06webceleb_0123top_slides_26.html Violet Blue] ]
She was a crew member of industrial machine
performance artgroup Survival Research Labsfrom 1996 to May 2007.
In October 2007, Violet Blue launched the
DRM-free publishing venture [http://www.digitapub.com Digita Publications] , releasing audiobooks and ebooks in several open formats on a variety of sex-related subjects.
In October 2007, Blue filed a lawsuit against adult actress
Ada Mae Johnson, [http://avn.com/law/articles/558.html Analysis: Violet Blue Vs. Violet Blue] "; Adult Video News, November 6, 2007] [ [http://www.jurisnote.com/Cases/blue5370.htm JurisNotes.com case abstract fetched July 9, 2008] ] alleging that Johnson had adopted Blue's persona, and her recently-trademarked name, "Violet Blue". [http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=2alnnp.2.3 US Patent and Trademark Office] ] The lawsuit alleges trademark violationand dilution, as well as unfair business practices.cite web|url=http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/10/sex-journo-viol.html|title=Sex Writer Violet Blue Sues Porn Star Violet Blue Over Name|accessdate=2007-10-24|author=Ryan Singel|date=2007-10-24|publisher= Wired News] With the lawsuit pending, Johnson, the bulk of whose income "just a few hundred dollars per month" was derived from her self-named web site, changed her stage name to Violetta Blue, [http://ainews.com/story/12515/ Pornstar Violet Blue Changes Name] "; Adult Industry News; November 3, 2007] and then to Noname Jane pursuant to a preliminary injunction and court order to cease using "names, trademarks and Internet domains confusingly similar to, or identical to, Plaintiff's trademark VIOLET BLUE," [http://avn.com/law/articles/30259.html Noname Jane, The Best Performer You Never Heard Of] "; Adult Video News, May 16, 2008] which was filed in 2007, and Johnson announced that her [http://nonamejane.com/ web site's] name would also change in the near future.
Around June 2008, there was controversy in the
blogosphereafter Violet Blue posted on her blog claiming the popular blog Boing Boingapparently removed all posts referring to the author (estimated by a Los Angleles Times blogger [ [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/06/violet-blue-scr.html Violet Blue scratches her head over BoingBoing purge] ] to number at least 70) from the site. A heated debate ensued after a brief statement on the Boing Boing site regarding this action stated: "Violet behaved in a way that made us reconsider whether we wanted to lend her any credibility or associate with her. It's our blog and so we made an editorial decision, like we do every single day". [ [http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/01/that-violet-blue-thi.html That Violet Blue thing, Posted By Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator, July 1, 2008 8:48 AM] ] In commentary attached to that blog entry, "many commenters surmised that they had something to do with Blue's suing to stop a porn star from also using the name Violet Blue." Boing Boing editor Xeni Jardinsaid that she hoped she would not have to make the reasons public. [ [http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-boingboing-hypertext-0709jul09,0,4360232.column "Blog hits nerve in excising some old posts", Steve Johnson, Chicago Tribune, fetched July 8, 2008] ] Most of the removed blog posts have been republished under the Creative Commonslicense by a third party at [http://www.violetbluevioletblue.net VioletBlueVioletBlue.net] .
* "The Adventurous Couple's Guide to Strap-On Sex", Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 157344278X
* "The Smart Girl's Guide to the G-Spot", Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 1573442739
* "Fetish Sex: An Erotic Guide for Couples", Daedalus Publishing Company, 2006, ISBN 1881943232 - with Thomas Roche
* "The Adventurous Couple's Guide to Sex Toys", Cleis Press, 2006, ISBN 1573442542
* "The Smart Girl's Guide to Porn, Cleis Press", 2006, ISBN 157344247X (IPPY Bronze award winner for erotica)
* "The Ultimate Guide to Sexual Fantasy: How to Turn Your Fantasies into Reality", Cleis Press, 2004, ISBN 1573441902
* "The Ultimate Guide to Adult Videos: How to Watch Adult Videos and Make Your Sex Life Sizzle", Cleis Press, 2003, ISBN 1573441724
* "The Ultimate Guide to Cunnilingus: How to Go Down on a Woman and Give Her Exquisite Pleasure", Cleis Press, 2002 ISBN 1573441449
* "The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure", Cleis Press, 2002, ISBN 1573441511
* "Sweet Life: Erotic Fantasies for Couples", Cleis Press, 2001, ISBN 1573441333
* "Sweet Life 2: Erotic Fantasies for Couples", Cleis Press, 2003, ISBN 1573441678
* "Taboo: Forbidden Fantasies for Couples", Cleis Press, 2004, ISBN 1573441864
* "Best Sex Writing 2005", Cleis Press, 2005, ISBN 1573442178
* "Best Women's Erotica 2006", Cleis Press, 2005, ISBN 1573442232 (IPPY winner for Erotica)
* "Best Women's Erotica 2007", Cleis Press, 2006, ISBN 1573442585 (IPPY winner for Erotica)
* "Lust: Erotic Fantasies for Women", Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 1573442801
* "Lips Like Sugar: Women's Erotic Fantasies", Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 1573442321
* "Best Women's Erotica 2008", Cleis Press, 2007, ISBN 1573442992
Film and video work
* [http://www.geekentertainment.tv/ Geek Entertainment TV (GETV)] , December 2005-present, show host
* "Sweet Heat" (erotica), Digita Publications, 2008, (audiobook), ISBN 978-0-9799019-6-6
* "Erotic Role Play: A Guide For Couples", Digita Publications, 2007, (audiobook, ebook), ISBN 978-0-9799019-5-9
* "How To Kiss", Digita Publications, 2007, (audiobook, ebook, and Amazon Kindle versions), ISBN 978-0-9799019-2-8
* "The Modern Safer Sex Guide", Digita Publications, 2007, (ebook and Amazon Kindle versions), ISBN 978-0-9799019-4-2
* "Creatures of the Night" (erotica), Digita Publications, 2007, (audiobook and ebook and Amazon Kindle versions), ISBN 978-0-9799019-3-5
* "Pleasure Zone Basics", Digita Publications, 2007, (audiobook), ISBN 978-0-9799019-1-1
* [http://www.tinynibbles.com/ Violet Blue's Main Site]
* [http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/violetblue/ Violet Blue's "Chronicle" column]
* [http://sf.metblogs.com/profile.phtml?author=1007 Metroblogging San Francisco posts]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.