- Aerospace Medical Association
The Aerospace Medical Association (AsMA) is the largest professional organization in the fields of aviation, space, and
environmental medicine. The AsMA membership includes aerospace and hyperbaric medicine specialists, scientists, flight nurses, physiologists, and researchersfrom all over the world.
The AsMA was founded under the guidance of
Louis H. Bauer, M.D. in 1929.cite web |url=http://www.asma.org/index.php |title=About the AsMA |author=Aerospace Medical Association |accessdate=2008-06-05 ] Dr. Bauer was the first medical director of the Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce which became the Federal Aviation Administration(FAA). The original 29 "aeromedical examiners" started the organization for the "dissemination of information as will enhance the accuracy of their specialized art...thereby affording a greater guarantee of safety to the public and the pilot, alike; and to cooperate... in furthering the progress of aeronautics in the United States."
The AsMA has more than 3,200 members, approximately 25% of the membership is international from over 70 countries.
The AsMA produces many publications including:
* [http://www.asma.org/journal/index.php Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine] - A peer reviewed monthly publication that was first published in 1975 and is indexed in
PubMed. (ISSN: 0095-6562)
Aerospace medicine- The preceding journal to Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine was published from 1959 to 1974. (ISSN: 0001-9402)
* The Journal of aviation medicine - The preceding journal to Aerospace medicine was published from 1930 to 1959. (ISSN: 0095-991X)
* [http://www.asma.org/publications/index.php Medical Guidelines for Airline Passengers]
* [http://www.asma.org/publications/index.php Medical Guidelines for Airline Travel] [cite journal |author= |title=Medical guidelines for air travel. Aerospace Medical Association, Air Transport Medicine Committee, Alexandria, Va |journal=Aviat Space Environ Med |volume=67 |issue=10 Suppl |pages=B1–16 |year=1996 |month=October |pmid=9025825 |doi= |url=]
* [http://www.asma.org/publications/index.php Useful Tips for Airline Travel]
* [http://www.asma.org/publications/index.php Education and Training Committee Aerospace Medicine PowerPoint slides]
* [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/asma Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine Journal] - Volume 74, Number 1, January 2003 to current
* [http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/manuscripts/fsc-37.html Space Medicine Branch of the Aerospace Medical Association Papers]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.