- Richard Blais
name = Richard Blais
birthdate = birth year and age|1972
birthplace = Uniondale,
New York, United States
The Culinary Institute of America
restaurants = BLAIS, Home (Atlanta)
television = "
Top Chef"; " Iron Chef America"
website = http://www.richardblais.net
Richard Blais (born 1972 in
Uniondale, New York) is an American chef. He currently resides with his wife Jazmin in Atlanta, Georgia, and the two welcomed their first child, Riley Maddox, on May 29, 2008. He received an AOS in culinary arts from The Culinary Institute of Americaand has studied under chefs Thomas Keller, Daniel Boulud, and Ferran Adria. Blais has also studied in numerous famed restaurants, including Chez Panisse and El Bulli. His was the recipient of Gayot Guide’s "Top Five Rising Chefs" and has been profiled in many publications, including " Sports Illustrated", " The New York Times", and " Food & Wine Magazine". His cooking is known for its innovative and personal take on classical cuisine, incorporating global ingredients, modern cooking methods, and a sense of humor. While using modern ingredients in his cooking, Blais believes they should only complement good food: "Hopefully, molecular gastronomyis an extension of great simple ingredients, not a replacement for them." [Food & Wine Interview, http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/interview-richard-blais ]
Beginning in 2001, Blais became Executive Chef at Fishbone in Atlanta. Two years later, he opened BLAIS, and in 2005, he led One Midtown Kitchen and helped them receive a four-star review in "
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution". He is currently the Executive Chef at Home restaurant in Atlanta, GA. [Access Atlanta, http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/reviews/stories/2008/06/24/home_restaurant_atlanta_blais_top_chef.html ] His company TrailBlais is consulting on a modern hamburger restaurant called 'Flip'. Richard is also doing corporate innovation work and product endorsement for companies like Diageo and Garrett Popcorn.
In season three of "
Iron Chef America", Blais lost to Mario Bataliin chickpeabattle. He was a runner-up on the fourth season of Bravo's " Top Chef", admitting in the last show that he "choked" in the final competition.
* [http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/bios/index.php?cat=chef&p=richard Bravo TV biography]
* [http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/interview-richard-blais Food & Wine interview]
* [http://www.richardblais.net/ Richard Blais official site]
* [http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2004/02/birthday_at_bla.html Example of Blais Menu]
* [http://www.atlantacuisine.com/chefstalks/richardblais1.html Atlanta Cuisine Chef Talk]
* [http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A15522 Trail Blais-er]
* [http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB112674684283541340-u4lrpQPQ4y6WIhZw0JnXhdUo3e0_20051017.html Chefs Gone Wild]
* [http://www.heretoserverestaurants.com Home Restaurant]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.