Lush! is a
night clubin Portrush, Northern Ireland. Located in the Kellys Golf Links Hotel, the club is the largest in the complex, which houses a number of bars. Opened in 1996, it has played host to the majority of the worlds notable electronic dance musicDJs, including Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Sasha and Eddie Halliwell.
Opening only one night a week (Saturday), the venue doesn't use external promoters or host club nights, being a self-contained operation. The promoter, and manager of the club,
Col Hamilton, is also the resident DJ. Music on resident-played nights would generally be house music, but the regular guest DJs are more likely to play trance music.
Shortly after opening, CJ Agnelli of
Agnelli & Nelsonimmortalised the club with one of his first releases, titled "Lush", and the later remixes, "Lush Gold". The cover art of both releases featured the clubs logo, a large yellow/orange circle [http://www.discogs.com/release/279478] . An edition of Discover Records"Live As" series has also been recorded at the venue [http://www.discogs.com/release/1060533] .
Notably for a modern nightclub, Lush! still features a
chip shopwithin the premises - to the right rear of the dancefloor. Large quantities of clubbers travel from all across Northern Ireland every weekend, with the large carpark of the club comprising mostly of coach bays. One of the Kellys' complex other bars, The Synk, is generally open alongside Lush with free access between the two, but with a different DJ playing.
DJ MagTop 100 Clubs places Lush! at number 56 in the world [http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=top100club&top100club_op=display&club_top_100_id=56&status=live&limit_num=100&page=6] , with it having been unplaced in 2007 and number 24 in 2006.
* [http://lush.kellysportrush.co.uk Official site]
* [http://designshift.co.uk/springboard03/declan/lush.htm Clubber's Guide to North Ireland Review]
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5344492.stm Plan for town £30m hotel complex, BBC News September 14th, 2006]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/essentialmix/tracklistingarchive.shtml?20060312 BBC Radio 1]
* [http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/clubs-national/lush/23050/ Dooyoo Review]
* [http://www.nimusic.com/showFeatureArticle.asp?id=57 A History of Northern Irish Club Culture by Lyndon Stephens and Sandra Gourley September 23rd, 2005 Northern Ireland Music Industry Commission]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.