- Mish Mash (band)
Mish Mash is a UK band created by Oscar Fullone who also created the Mish Mash parties in London and Glasgow. Comprised UK dj-circuit veterans Oscar Fullone and Kasper Winding, with vocals provided by Copenhagen native Louise Norby, also known as Lois.
They are best known for their dance club favorite Speechless.
Oscar, an early acid house convert was active in the Scotland club scene. He released three of the first ten Soma tracks. Kasper, a Danish classically trained musical prodigy came at music from quite different beginnings. He wrote a film score at age 13, secured a position in a radio orchestra at age 14, and kept on playing. He drummed for Tedy Pendergrass and Terry Riley in New York, and has released several solo projects. The two ostensibly met through their actress girlfriends and became friends and collaborators.
After building the Mish Mash parties - an avant-garde roaming club that is reputed for widely varied musical styles, the two encountered an old friend Louise Norbye who started freestyling over an old disco track at a paris concert they were hosting. The potential was clear to all three of them and Mish Mash, the artist was born. Louise Norbye a.k.a. Lois, a Copenhagen native, brings a background of vocals, acting, and ballet to the group.
The act was primarily one of creative enjoyment for the three.
"The only rule," laughs Kasper, "was to go really overboard, that there was to be no turning back. It had to be fun and put a smile on your face..." "But we wanted it to be quite dirty as well," interjects Oscar. "The re-emergence of that New York disco sound was perfect: there had to be a darkness to it. We wanted it to be big - big strings, dramatic all with a dirty groove." "Chic was an inspiration," recalls Kasper. "And Studio 54." 
Praise and criticism has been slight, given the project's youth, but a few reviewers have commented positively.
- Looks like they’re having a stab at the hit parade. Provided they’ve got a video that includes semi-naked women prancing around in a badly choreographed routine, it’s safe to say they’ve got a hit on their hands.
- 2005 – Speechless Single (Crosstown Rebels)
- 2005 – "Speechless" (Crosstown Rebels)
Notes and references
- ^ "Discogs.com - Mish Mash". http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mish+Mash+(2). Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- ^ a b c "Artist Profile - Mish Mash". EMI Music Publishing. Archived from the original on 2008-03-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20080306130838/http://www.emimusicpub.com/worldwide/artist_profile/mish-mash_profile.html. Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- ^ "Discogs.com Data Records Discography". http://www.discogs.com/label/Data+Records. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- ^ "UK Music - Review - Mish Mash". http://www.ukmusic.com/reviews/dance/mish-mash-speechless.html. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- Mish Mash Music. The official site of Mish Mash, the club.
- Data Records' Myspace. Data Records online presence.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.