- Spitfire (US band)
: "For the
United Kingdomband Spitfire, see Spitfire (UK band).": "For the Russian band Spitfire, see Spitfire (Russian band)."
Spitfire is a
metalcore/chaotic hardcore band from Virginia Beach, Virginia. They first formed in the late 1990s and are currently signed to Goodfellow Records.
Originally, the band featured vocalist and guitarist Matt Beck, drummer Chris Raines, and bassist Jimmy Reeves. With this lineup, they released an EP called "Straining Towards What's To Come" on
2Jake Recordsand "The Dead Next Door" on Solid State Recordsin 1999. Later, having added new vocalist Jon Spencer (ex. Scarlet), Spitfire released a second EP, called "The Slideshow Whiplash", for Goodfellow Records. Soon after, in 2001, the band broke up.
2004, Spitfire re-formed with new members. Reeves left the band, leaving Beck and Raines as the only original members. Spencer was again their vocalist, and they added guitarist Scottie Henry of Norma Jean, and bassist "Dr. Dan" Tulloh, formerly of Scarlet. They recorded a new album for Goodfellow Records, titled "Self Help"; which was released on February 28, 2006. After the recording of "Self Help", Ian Sabo joined the band on bass, and Tulloh switched to guitar, giving the band three guitarists.
Spitfire announced the following statement on their myspace surronding their rumors of their break up, and their new record on June 24, 2007: "We have heard some rumors around scenesterville that we threw in the towel. Maybe we did, maybe we didn't. Maybe Matt left to become a Carni. Maybe you should go put the lotion in the basket. Regardless, we have been forced to cancel some shows due to a life laying the smackdown on a few of us. On the other hand, we are entering the studio after nearly a year of writing. Chris, Dan, Jon and Matt will be heading to Trax East on July 9th to begin recording Cult Fiction. Prepare for your day to be ruined." "
Along with this statement, Scottie Henry of
Norma Jean, and Ian were no longer listed as part of their current line up on their myspace. Spitfire intends to release their next album called "Cult Fiction" on April 29, 2008. The name is somewhat ironic as Jon Spencer, former singer of the now defunct Scarlet, released an album with the band entitled "Cult Classic".
On January 2, 2008, "Crossed", the first song off Spitfire's upcoming album "Cult Fiction", was released on their myspace page.
On March 3, 2008 Spitfire announced that they will be release and Itunes exclusive release called "Black Leather" on March 25, 2008.
Currently Spitfire has again left their fans wondering about their status by posting this biography of the band: "Was born. Started cult. Fulfilled prophecy. Died with dignity."
* Matt Beck - guitar (also did vocals on "Straining Towards What Is To Come" and "The Dead Next Door") and also was the Guitarist of
Mae(On Tooth and Nail) until 2004
* Chris Raines - drums (Also in
* Jon Spencer - vocals (ex-Scarlet)
* Dan Tulloh - guitar; (bass guitar on "Self Help", ex-Scarlet)
* Jimmy Reeves - bass
* Scottie Henry - guitar (Norma Jean)
* Ian Sabo - bass guitar
* "The Dead Next Door" (1999, Solid State Records, Review: " [http://web.archive.org/web/20010717025343/www.hmmagazine.com/issue78/78AlbumReviews.htm HM Magazine] "cite journal |last=Mengden |first=Ben |year=
1999|month=July/August |title=Album Reviews: Spitfire "the dead next door" |journal= HM Magazine|id=ISSN|1066-6923 |issue=78 |pages= |accessdate=] )
* "Self-Help" (2006, Goodfellow Records)
* "Cult Fiction" (2008, Goodfellow Records)
* "Straining Towards What's To Come" (1998 2Jake Records)
* "The Slideshow Whiplash" (2001, Goodfellow Records)
Black Leather - EP" (2008, Goodfellow Records)
* [http://www.spitfirenoise.com Official site]
* [http://www.myspace.com/spitfirerock Official Myspace Page]
* [http://www.drivenfaroff.com/2006/05/16/spitfire-interview-may-5th-2006 Spitfire Interview]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.