- Goldeneye (duck)
name = Goldeneyes
image_width = 250px
Common Goldeneye("Bucephala clangula")
genus = "Bucephala"
genus_authority = Boie,
subdivision_ranks = Species
subdivision = "
and see text
Goldeneye are small tree-hole nesting
northern hemisphere seaducks belonging to the genus"Bucephala". Their plumage is black and white, and they eat fish, crustaceans and other marine life.
Buffleheadwas formerly separated in its own genus "Charitonetta", while the goldeneyes proper were mistakenly placed in "Clangula", the genus of the Long-tailed Duckwhich at that time was placed in "Harelda".
The three living species are
Common Goldeneye"Bucephala clangula "
Barrow's Goldeneye"Bucephala islandica"
* "Bucephala cereti" (Sajóvölgyi Middle Miocene of Mátraszõlõs, Hungary - Late Pliocene of Chilhac, France)
* "Bucephala ossivalis" (Late Miocene/Early Pliocene of Bone Valley, USA), which was very similar to the Common Goldeneye and may even have been a
paleosubspeciesor direct ancestor
* "Bucephala fossilis" (Late Pliocene of California, USA)
* "Bucephala angustipes" (Early Pleistocene of C Europe)
* "Bucephala" sp. (Early Pleistocene of Dursunlu, Turkey: Louchart "et al." 1998)
* Louchart, Antoine; Mourer-Chauviré, Cécile; Guleç, Erksin; Howell, Francis Clark & White, Tim D. (1998): L'avifaune de Dursunlu, Turquie, Pléistocène inférieur: climat, environnement et biogéographie. "C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris IIA" 327(5): 341-346. [French with English abridged version] DOI|10.1016/S1251-8050(98)80053-0 (HTML abstract)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.