- Oleksandr Tymoshenko
Oleksander Hennadiyovych Tymoshenko (Ukrainian: Олександр Геннадійович Тимошенко; born 1959) is the husband of the previous Ukrainian Prime Minister, Yulia Tymoshenko and a businessman. Tymoshenko owns an egg farm and is the founder of two companies producing equipment for medical institutions. According to his wife, Tymoshenko only does business outside Ukraine "after all the events that took place in Ukraine" and owns a "construction business".
Oleksandr was the son of a mid-level Communist Party official. According to The Times, he met Yulia when he misdialed her number. He called back and they eventually agreed to meet and quickly fell in love. They were married in 1979 in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, and have a daughter, Evgenia (b. 1980).
On August 18, 2000 Oleksandr, a (along with his father Hennadiy Tymoshenko) board member of the United Energy Systems of Ukraine (UESU) Corporation (of which Yulia was general director), was arrested along with the company's managing director, Valery Falkovich. He was charged with embezzling $800,000 in public funds and forging customs documents to import gas from Russia - all based on activities from the 1990s. The following March, he was transferred to a Zhytomyr oblast jail so as to avoid communication between Oleksandr, Falkovich (who was transferred to a Chernihiv jail at that time) and Yulia, who by that time was also under arrest. On August 8, 2001, Russian prosecutors handed over information to Ukrainian officials implicating Yulia and Oleksandr in customs violations. The following day, a Kyiv district court released Oleksandr and Falkovich due to lack of evidence. The prosecutor's office, however, appealed the ruling and continued the case against Oleksandr, leading him to spend two years in hiding to avoid prosecution on charges he and his wife say are trumped up. In another ruling, the Kyiv district court ruled the charges against Oleksandr "groundless." Charges were finally dropped in May, 2002. Tymoshenko's father-in-law has also been arrested in connecting with this case, he was released in 2003. According to Mrs. Tymoshenko her spouse has never been personally involved in Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc.
Tymoshenko appears very rarely with his wife in public and never gives interviews and does not (publicly) comment on the work of his wife and their personal life. Tymoshenko's hypocorism for her husband is "Sasha".
- ^ (Ukrainian) Тимошенко наголошує, що її чоловік займається бізнесом, UNIAN (April 2, 2009)
- ^ (Ukrainian) Юлія Тимошенко , Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (November 30 , 2009)
- ^ Тимошенко у домогосподарки не піде, а у Facebook - обіцяє, Tablo ID (February 3, 2011)
- ^ The Fairest Premier of Them All?, The Sunday Times (June 26, 2005)
- ^ Ukraine's Gold-Plaited Comeback Kid, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (September 23, 2008 )
- ^ a b c (Ukrainian) Ключові слова: Олександр Тимошенко, UNIAN
- ^ a b (Ukrainian) Олександр Тимошенко звинувачується в тому, що давав хабарі Лазаренку, Korrespondent (November 7, 2000)
- ^ a b 2003 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Ukraine, US Department of State (February 25, 2004)
- ^ (Ukrainian) Закрити вікно Олександр Тимошенко переведений у СІЗО міста Житомир, Korrespondent (February 23, 2001)
- ^ Ukrainian Energy Sector Officials Arrested on Embezzlement Charges, Radio Free Europe (August 22, 2001)
- ^ Yuliya Tymoshenko Faces Criminal Charges from Russia, Radio Free Europe (August 14, 2001)
- ^ "Oleksandr Tymoshenko Put on Wanted List," Kyiv Post (August 20, 2003)
- ^ "Prosecutors Seek Oleksandr Tymoshenko," Kyiv Post (August 28, 2003)
- ^ Ukraine Appoints new Prosecutor-General as Kuchma Targets Opposition by Taras Kuzio, Radio Free Europe (August 22, 2002)
- ^ a b To a real man, Blog of Yulia Tymoshenko (July 06, 2010)
- ^ Turchynov confirmed that Tymoshenko’s husband is in hospital “in rather grave condition”, UNIAN (December 15, 2010)
- ^ (Ukrainian) Всеядна дружина Ющенка, співоча Янукович та терплячий "пташник" Тимошенко, Табло ID (November 10, 2009)
- ^ (Ukrainian) Тимошенко розповіла, як не взяла свого чоловіка в БЮТ, TCH (July 6, 2010)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.