- Sunshine mine
The Sunshine Mine is a silver mine in
Kellogg, Idaho. In May 1972, it was the site of one of the worst U.S. mining accidents, resulting in the deaths of 91 miners. Eight days after the fire started, two men emerged from the mine. They were found on the 4800 foot (1463 m) level of the mine near a fresh air source. All others trapped in the mine had died.
Sunshine Mine remained open until February 16, 2001, producing 360 million troy ounces (11,000,000 kg) of
silver. As of 2005 Sterling Mininghas plans to continue exploration and development of the mine, exercising an option the company purchased in 2003.
As a result of the 1972 accident, every miner in the U.S. now carries a "
self-rescuer" (a breathing apparatus made with hopcaliteand much simpler than a SCBA), which gives the miner a chance to avoid death due to carbon monoxidepoisoning.
The disaster is the subject of "The Sunshine Mine Disaster", a book of poetry by James Brock combined with historical documents, and "The Deep Dark: Disaster and Redemption in America's Richest Silver Mine" by
*Brock, James "The Sunshine Mine Disaster". University of Idaho Press , 1995. (ISBN 0-89301-181-9)
*Olsen, Gregg. "The Deep Dark: Disaster and Redemption in America's Richest Silver Mine". New York: Crown Publishers, 2005. (ISBN 0-609-61016-3)
External links and sources
* [http://library.boisestate.edu/DeepDark/ Boise State University, Albertsons Library]
**Comprehensive list of resources including books, government documents, websites and search tips
* [http://www.msha.gov/DISASTER/SUNSHINE/SS1.asp Mining Disaster: An Exhibition] . 1972 Sunshine Mining Company Mining Disaster Kellogg, Idaho
**Published by U.S. Department of Labor, Mine Safety and Health Administration. Includes photographs of the Sunshine Mine site as the events of that day are retold.
* [http://www.idptv.state.id.us/outdoors/shows/silvervalleyrising/mining.cfm Outdoor Idaho's Silver Valley Rising] Idaho Public Television
**Includes interviews and text
* [http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/sunshine_view.htm Sunshine Mine Fire: A view from the inside] . United States Mine Rescue Association
*Sunshine Mine Memorial (photos & information):
** [http://www.msha.gov/TRAINING/MUSEUM/ID/SUNSHINE.HTM U.S. Department of Labor, Mine Safety and Health Administration]
** [http://www.visitidaho.org/thingstodo/view-attraction.aspx?id=30621 VisitIdaho.org]
** [http://www.westernmininghistory.com/gallery/idaho/kellogg/modern/towns/1/ Western Mining History: Reliving the Industrial Revolution of the West]
* [http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/sunshine.htm The Sunshine Mine accident and its aftermath] , from the
United States Mine Rescue Association(USMRA) website
* [http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/sunshine_view.htm The Sunshine Mine Fire Disaster: A View From The Inside] , another description, also from the USMRA website
* [http://itech.fgcu.edu/faculty/jbrock/poetry2.html "The Sunshine Mine Disaster"] , a home page by the author of the 1995 book, via a
Florida Gulf Coast Universitywebsite
* [http://cityguide.bellinghamherald.com/fe/takefive/20050310/234410.asp Survivors discuss Sunshine Mine fire] , a March 2005 interview of the author of the 2005 book, from the "
Bellingham Herald" website
* [http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/sun.htm Underground In The Sunshine] , a reprint on an ad-supported personal website of a short story about working in the Sunshine Mine in 1946, first published in the "
International California Mining Journal" in October 1998
* [http://www.sterlingmining.com/ Sterling Mining Company official website]
* [http://www.greggolsen.com/ The Deep Dark author Gregg Olsen's personal website]
*About Kellogg, ID
** [http://www.historicsilvervalleychamberofcommerce.com/ Historic Silver Valley Chamber of Commerce]
** [http://www.idbsu.edu/history/issuesonline/spring2006_issues/2f_kellogg.html Kellogg Redefined: A Mining Town Reinvents Itself] by Prof. Harley Johansen,
University of IdahoSpring 2006
** [http://www.westernmininghistory.com/towns/idaho/kellogg Western Mining History.com] Kellogg, Idaho
** [http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/ghosttowns/coeurdalene.html Coeur d'Alene Mining District] , about Kellogg and the Silver Valley, from the
Idaho Public Televisionwebsite
** [http://www.tourtheinlandnw.com/NorthIDCities/Kellogg.html Kellogg's history and a list of events there] , from a personal website
** [http://stevekemper.net/work5.htm Tarnished Luster] , a reprint on the author's website of an article on Kellogg and the Silver Valley published in the "Smithsonian" in October 2001
** [http://www.shoshonenewspress.com/ "Shoshone News Press"] , the local newspaper
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.