- Backup Express
developed by =
latest_release_version = 3.0
license = Proprietary
website = [http://www.syncsort.com/products/bex/home.htm Backup Express]
SyncsortBackup Express is an enterprise-level data protection solution that backs up and restores data and applications for a variety of operating systems. It has data protection, disaster recovery and business continuity planning capabilities. [#1|  Backup Express supports many database applications, including Oracle, SQL, and Exchange. Users can map to and use a backed up version of the database if something goes wrong with the primary version. Backup Express is managed from a single console and catalog. This allows for centralized control of both tape-based and disk-based data protection jobs across heterogeneous operating systems.
Data can be backed up from any of the following platforms: Windows, UNIX, Linux, NetWare, OES, OES2, Mac, plus VMware and mixed networks.
According to the Backup Express Interface Guide, Backup Express contains interfaces to the following application software and database management systems (DBMS): DB2, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange, Novell Groupwise, Oracle, SAP, SharePoint, SQL-BackTrack, SQL Server, and Sybase. For Oracle, Backup Express provides cloning capabilities. For Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, and Oracle, Backup Express provides read/write access to recovery points.
Backup Express uses the following data storage devices: tape, tape library (jukebox), virtual tape library (VTL), disk (local, NetApp, EMC, HP, Data Domain, others), disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T).
A Backup Express setup has 3 types of components:
;Master Server: Controls all backup management tasks, catalog, scheduling, job execution, and distributed processing.;Device Server/Advanced Server: Handles backup media – either tape or disk. ;Client Node: Any computer in a Backup Express Enterprise from which data is backed up is considered a Backup Express client node.
The following are among the capabilities of Backup Express 3.0:
*Fast-image backup for large volumes of small files.
*Block-level, incremental backup to disk over the WAN, which provides source-side data reduction.
*Virtual full backup, which, combined with block-level incrementals, reduces the amount of data that needs to be transferred.
*A single-backup image repurposed to protect/recover files, servers and applications, including VMware environments.
*Focused solutions for NetApp, Novell and remote offices.
*Bare metal recovery, which restores operating system, settings, patches and applications software in the event of server failure or corruption.
*Read/write mapping to SQL, Exchange, and Oracle recovery points.
*Fast data recovery and application access from virtual-volume images on disk storage.
Syncsortis the company that produces Backup Express. The company has been around for nearly 40 years, and counts most of the Fortune 500 companies among its customers. [#1|  Syncsort provides telephone and on-site customer support for Backup Express.
* [http://www.syncsort.com/newsdocs/press/bexpress94.htm Syncsort Press Release, September 2007]
List of backup software
* [http://www.syncsort.com/products/bex/home.htm Syncsort Backup Express homepage]
* [http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/syncsort/156424.html Gartner MarketScope for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software, 2008]
* [http://web.mac.com/georgeacrump/Site/Articles/Entries/2007/10/29_Solving_the_Data_Protection_Puzzle.html November 2007 - Solving The Data Protection Puzzle]
* [http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=140753 December 2007 - Data Protection Turns a Corner]
* [http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid179_gci1315372,00.html Alternatives to VCB for VMware Backup]
* [http://searchsmbstorage.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid188_gci1311840,00.html Five Ways to Control RAID Rebuild Times]
* [http://web.mac.com/georgeacrump/Site/Articles/Entries/2008/1/2_Backup_Express_vs._SAN_Snapshots.html Syncsort Backup Express vs. SAN Snapshots]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.