- Hew Strachan
Professor Hew Francis Anthony Strachan, DL, FRSE is a Scottish
military historian, well known for his work on the administration of the British Armyand the history of the First World War. He was born Hew Francis Anthony Strachan on 1 September 1949in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Strachan was a merchant seaman 1968-1971 working a passage around the world on The Ben Line Steamers. In 1973, he worked as a member of a
Sudanantiquities survey. He was educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge with a B.A., 1971 and M.A. 1975.
Oxford University Pressto write a historyof the First World Warto replace C.R.M.F Cruttwell's one-volume " A History of the Great War, 1914-1918", Strachan completed the first of three volumes, "" in 2001 to wide acclaim and is acknowledged as one of the world's authorities on the subject. Accompanying the print publication of his one volume survey "The First World War" (2004) was a multi-part documentary series for television entitled "The First World War", with some episodes being titled after the volumes in the written work. This set was also released on DVD by Image Entertainment.
A controversial claim made by Strachan is that the First World War was caused more by blunder and indecision than German aggression.
He is a Fellow of the
Royal Society of Edinburghand the Royal Historical Society. He was appointed a deputy lieutenantof Tweeddalein 2006.
He was married to Catherine Margaret Blackburn and they had two children. He then remarried to Pamela Symes and together they have a son.
* "British Military Uniforms, 1768-1796" (Arms and Armour,
* "History of the Cambridge University Officers Training Corps" (1976) ISBN 0859360598
* "European Armies and the Conduct of War" (London,
1983) ISBN 0-415-07863-6
* "Wellington's Legacy: The Reform of the British Army 1830-54" (Manchester,
1984) ISBN 0-7190-0994-4
* "From Waterloo to Balaclava: Tactics, Technology and the British Army" (Cambridge,
1985) ISBN 0-521-30439-3
* "The Politics of the British Army" (Oxford,
1997) ISBN 0-19-820670-4
* "The Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War" (ed.) (Oxford,
1998) ISBN 0-19-820614-3
* "The First World War: Volume 1: To Arms" (Oxford,
2001) ISBN 0-19-926191-1 (first of an expected three volume history)
* "The First World War: A New Illustrated History" (Simon & Schuster,
* "The First World War" (Viking,
2004ISBN 0-67-003295-6 (single volume survey of the war)
* "The First World War in Africa" (Oxford,
* 'German Strategy in the First World War' in Internationale Beziehungen im 19. und 20. Jahrhundert, pages 127-144.
* "Clausewitz's On War: a Biography" (Atlantic Monthly Press
2007) ISBN 0-87-113956-1
* Contemporary Authors Online, 2007
* Debrett's People of Today, 2007
* [http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/events/2005-04-21-hewStrachan.jsp Interview] on "The First World War" at the
Pritzker Military Library
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.