- Information Systems Examination Board
Non-profit_name = ISEB
area_served = UK and worldwide
homepage = [http://www.bcs.org/iseb www.bcs.org/iseb]
ISEB ( [http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.001010002 Information Systems Examinations Board] ) is a worldwide exam body and a part of the
British Computer Society.
It began its life as a single qualification, the NCC (National Computing Centre) and BCS collaborated on developing the 'Certificate in Systems Analysis and Design' for the Systems Analysis Examination Board.
By the mid 1980's this one qualification accounted for about 1000 candidates a year.
Despite the relative success of this one qualification, the Systems Analysis Examination Board wanted more, in 1989 it was decided to develop a Project Management qualification, the development of further qualifications was not far away and with this progress, the Systems Analysis Examination Board made the decision to change its name to Information Systems Examination Board, and is generally known as ISEB today.
ISEB exams cover 8 major subject areas and to date has delivered over 300,000 exams globally.
ISEB qualifications are internationally recognised - ISEB has been active throughout the world with exams taken in over 50 countries including Australia, Japan, South Africa, USA, Brazil and many others.
ISEB qualifications add value to professional careers by providing both the means and the platform for recognition and enhanced career development.
Through ISEB, BCS provide industry-recognised qualifications that measure competence, ability and performance in many areas of IS, with the aim of raising industry standards, promoting career development and providing competitive edge for employers. ISEB qualifications are vocational, vendor independent and practical in their nature and provide full career paths from new entrants through to experienced professionals.
As well as being universally accepted, ISEB qualifications are carefully tailored to meet the needs of IT practitioners, at all stages in their careers.
ISEB qualifications are designed to be both accessible and relevant. Linked to the BCS professional initiative and based on established best practice, they cover all major areas of IS including management, development, service delivery, infrastructure and quality.
Thanks to close links with industry representatives and subject sponsors, ISEB qualifications also encompass the latest technological advances and new methodologies.
Delivered via a network of accredited training and examination providers, the breadth and depth of ISEB’s portfolio encourages knowledge, understanding and application outside ones own specialist discipline.
ISEB Foundation Level – a broad introduction to a discipline
ISEB Foundation Certificates provide a broad coverage within a specific subject area. This coverage is examined in terms of candidate knowledge and comprehension. Each certificate may be used for one of the following purposes:
• As the basis of future progression within the same subject area
• To provide an appreciation of the subject for any interested parties
• To provide an insight into the area for practitioners, specialists and managers from other subject areas
ISEB Foundation level qualifications include:
• Business Analysis
• Information Security Management
• IS Project Management
• IT Assets and Infrastructure
• IT Enabled Business Change
• IT Law
• IT Service Management
• Software Testing
• Systems Development
ISEB Practitioner Level – practical application within a specific discipline
ISEB Practitioner Certificates focus on specific skills or subject areas and examine a more detailed understanding and the application of knowledge, usually via scenario based questions.
Each certificate has value in its own right, but a range of these, perhaps supported by the appropriate Foundation Certificate, may be needed to ensure adequate coverage or to progress to a Higher Level Certificate.
ISEB Practitioner level qualifications include:
• Application Management Essentials
• Availability Management
• Business Analysis Essentials
• Business and Management Skills
• Business Continuity Management
• Capacity Management
• Change Management
• Configuration Management
• Data Management Essentials
• Data Protection
• Estimating for Software Development
• Financial Management for IT Services
• Freedom of Information
• Information and Communications Technology
• Information Risk Management
• IS Consultancy Essentials
• IS Project Management
• IT Architecture
• Modelling Business Processes
• Organisational Context
• Problem Management
• Project and Programme Support Office Advanced
• Project and Programme Support Office Essentials
• Release Management
• Requirements Engineering
• Service Continuity Management
• Service Desk and Incident Management
• Service Level Management
• Software Asset Management
• Software Test Analysis
• Software Test Management
• Systems Design and Implementation Techniques
• Systems Development Essentials
• Systems Modelling Techniques
ISEB Higher Level – in depth coverage within a specific discipline for specialists and managers
Higher level ISEB qualifications exist within some topic areas. These are aimed at Specialists and Managers within these areas, and expect a more holistic view of the components of the subject and the interactions between these components.
Typically these individual components are from within the same discipline, but may include Foundation or Practitioner qualifications from other areas as appropriate.
In order to progress to ISEB ‘Professional’ level, holders of Higher Level qualifications will need to additionally show knowledge and application in other areas, and to support their qualifications with evidence of other aspects of professionalism.
ISEB Higher Level qualifications include:
• Business Analysis Diploma
• Data Management Diploma
• Diploma in Software Testing
• IS Consultancy Practice
• IS Project Management
• Manager’s Certificate in IT Infrastructure Management
• Manager’s Certificate in IT Service Management
• Systems Development Diploma
ISEB Professional Level – depth of expertise in one discipline andbreadth of coverage across a range others. Supported by evidence ofexperience in chosen area, ethics, leadership and inter-personal skills
ISEB Professional Level is based on job roles and will require at least the following:
• Higher Level qualification in own specific subject area
• Membership of BCS
• Foundation Level certification in at least two subject areas, usually including the one directly related to one’s own area
• One or more additional Practitioner Certificates (the number and choice will depend on the particular Higher Level qualification put forward as part of the application). In some cases this may be from a subject area other than one’s own
• Additional evidence based assessment in the areas of inter-personal skills, practical experience, leadership/mentoring and ethics
Areas which are currently being considered at the ISEB Professional Level are:
• ISEB Professional in Asset Management
• ISEB Professional in Business Analysis
• ISEB Professional in IS Project Management
• ISEB Professional in IS Security
• ISEB Professional in IT Law
• ISEB Professional in Service Management
• ISEB Professional in Software Testing
• ISEB Professional in Systems Development
http://www.iseb-exams.com Official web site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.