- List of fictional swords
In Arthurian fiction
Excalibur).] Excaliburis featured in every tale of Arthur or Merlin ever written, in some form or another. The examples below list two of the more distinctive takes on Arthurian swords.
Bernard Cornwell: The Warlord Chronicles
Caledfwlch" (Known as "Excalibur" in accepted Arthurian Legend)- sword of Arthur ap Neb
* "Hywelbane" - sword of
Derfel Cadarn, champion of Dumnonia
* "The Christ-blade" (formerly "Tanlladwyr", "Brightkiller") - sword of Lancelot
tephen R. Lawhead: The Pendragon Cycle
In Chinese fiction
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
* Heavenly Sword (倚天劍/倚天剑) : One of the two magnificent swords described in chapter 41 as being owned by the warlord
Cao Cao. Cao Cao carried this sword personally.
* Qinggang Sword (青釭劍/青釭剑) : This was bestowed by Cao Cao to his clansman, Xiahou En. During the Battle of Changban Knoll, it was claimed by
Zhao Yunas a booty after killing Xiahou En in combat. Known in the book as Black Pommel.(Luo Guanzhong, Three Kingdoms p736, ch41)
Jin Yong's fiction
* Heavenly Sword (倚天劍/倚天剑) : An extremely sharp and sturdy sword rivalled only by its counterpart, the Dragon Slaying Sabre (屠龍刀/屠龍刀). Originally, this sword and its counterpart were made from the Black Metal Sword (玄鐵重劍/玄铁重剑). In the 3rd revised edition of the novel, this sword was made by the Gentleman's Sword (君子劍/君子剑) and Lady's sword(淑女劍/淑女剑) . It was crafted by
Huang Rongto hide a secret.
* Dragon Slaying Sabre (屠龍刀/屠龍刀): An extremely heavy sword rivalled by its counterpart, the Heavenly Sword (倚天劍/倚天剑). The sword was crafted from the Black Metal Sword (玄鐵重劍/玄铁重剑). It too was crafted by
Huang Rongto hide a secret.
* Gentleman's Sword (君子劍/君子剑) : One of a pair of magnificent swords found by
* Lady's Sword (淑女劍/淑女剑) : One of a pair of magnificent swords found by
* Black Metal Sword (玄鐵重劍/玄铁重剑) : A very heavy sword without a sharp edge made of nearly indestructible black metal. It was used by the legendary Dugu Qiubai (獨孤求敗, literally "Lonely (person) seeking Defeat"), and found by Yang Guo. It requires great amounts of inner power (內功, power to control the
qiin one's body) to wield the blade.
In Japanese mythology
Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, the grass cutter, is a legendary Japanese sword as important to Japan's history as Excalibur is to Britain's, and is one of three Imperial Regalia of Japan. It is actually called Ama-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi ("Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven") but it is more popularly called Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi. It is also called Tsumugari-no-Tachi.
In Vietnamese legend
Heaven's WillThe magic sword of King Lê Lợi, a major Vietnamese national hero, is supposed to have made him very tall, gave him the strength of many men and was instrumental in his freeing Vietnam of Chinese occupation. Like Excalibur, it was the gift of beings living in a lake who eventually took it back (see Lê Lợi#Le Loi - Myth and Legend).
In fantasy fiction ("Alphabetically by author")
Lloyd Alexander: "The Chronicles of Prydain"
Dyrnwyn: the sword of Prince Gwydion, made by Govannion the Lame by command of King Rhydderch Hael.
Andrei Belyanin: Sword with No Name
*Sword with No Name: a magic sword participating in the medieval deathly role game. It independently chooses the hero from any age, entitle him as Landgrave of the Sword with No Name and obliges him to struggle against the tyrant and usurper Riezenkampff. A sword has long narrow blade made from white-bluish metal, long handle, hardly curved cross-piece and no decoration. It is heated up at approaching of the enemies, can operate independently in a hand, destroy any barrier, besides it goes on call of its owner. Sword with No Name is an arm of generosity, honour and justice: it can't hurt the innocent person.
Terry Brooks: "Shannara" series
*The Sword of Leah: a sword carried by the Leah family for generations, later given the ability to cut through magic.
*The Sword of Shannara: a magical sword with the power to reveal the truth of any being or situation. It is forged from magic and is indestructible.
The Great Weapons are 17 swords and daggers created by the Serioli in order to kill the Gods for stealing their world. They absorb the souls of those they cut, though the wielder can choose to spare the souls rather than let them be destroyed. The weapons can also temporarily swallow the soul of their wielder to prevent his or her destruction. Each Great Weapon also has unique powers and properties.
* Blackwand - a black longsword which has the ability to expel a lethal black beam. Morrolan e'Drien received it from Sethra Lavode during the events of "
The Lord of Castle Black". Its literal name is "Magical-Wand-for-Creating-Death-in-the-Form-of-a-Black-Sword."
* Godslayer - a large dagger with a round, silvery pommel. It has the ability to pierce the effects of sorcery, heal its user, and change its size to suit the task. It is considered to be one of the most powerful weapons in the series. It was assembled when
Vlad Taltosfused his magical chain Spellbreaker with a Morganti dagger and the soul of a dead friend during the events of " Issola". Its literal name is "Remover of aspects of deity."
* Iceflame - a pale blue dagger with a blue jewel set into it. It can create fire that burns like ice and is linked to Dzur Mountain, a place of great power. It is wielded by Sethra Lavode, the Enchantress of Dzur Mountain. Its literal name is "Dagger-Shaped-Bearer-of-Fire-That-Burns-Like-Ice."
* Pathfinder - a shortsword with the ability to find and lead the wielder to anything and anyone. It is wielded by Aliera e'Kieron, who received it during the events of "Dragon". Its literal name is "Artifact-in-Sword-Form-That-Searches-for-the-True-Path."
Jim Butcher: "The Dresden Files"
The Swords of the Cross: Three swords, each sword has one of the nails from Christ's crucifixion embedded inside, endowing it with a wide array of supernatural powers. Such swords can cut through almost anything, including metal. The swords can also sense evil, which causes them to glow and to let out a buzzing warning. The latter two were explained as to be reforged, and so, all three were probably similar or identical weapons.
* Amoracchius (Love)- Broadsword
* Fidelacchius (Faith)- Katana (hidden as a cane)
* Esperacchius (Hope)- Saber
Lewis Carroll: "Jabberwocky"
Vorpal Sword, which went Snicker-Snack. Vorpal swords have later been used in many Role-Playing Games. Vorpal swords are known for their uncanny ability to sever heads, as compared to Swords of Sharpness, which merely cut off arms or legs.
Jack Chalker: "Dancing Gods" series
Irving, the magic sword of Joe the Barbarian. Named after his son, Irving was unbreakable and could fly to Joe's hand when called, unless restrained in some fashion.
Joe Dever: "Lone Wolf" Series
* The Sommerswerd, A powerful sword, the "sword of the sun", created by the people of Sommerlund with the help of the god Kai, and usable only by a Kai Warrior. If anyone else attempts to use the sword, many of its special powers are lost. It is a large, glowing golden sword which gives off constant light. It is sometimes described as the only weapon capable of slaying a Darklord
* The Sword of the Rivan King, also known as Iron-Grip's Sword. Wielded by the King of Riva, i.e. the Heir to Riva Iron-Grip's throne. It is an enormous two-handed sword forged from meteoric metal by Riva Iron-Grip, and has the
Orb of Alduras a pommel-stone. The sword serves as a conduit of the Orb's power—almost always wreathed in blue flames when it's drawn—and the Orb carries the sword's weight so that it's almost effortless to use.
* Cthrek Goru, the Dark Sword of Shadows wielded by
Torakas the counter to The Sword of the Rivan King. It appears to be able to control the powers of Darkness and was retrieved later in the Mallorean and wielded by the Demon Lord Mordja and used to kill one of Belgarion's Companions, the Silent Man—the mute Toth.
Michael Ende: "The Neverending Story"
Sikanda, wielded and named by Bastian Balthazar Bux. It was given to him by Graograman in Chapter O. Sikanda is drawn by itself, at the sense of danger, jumping into the hand of his bearer, but it must never be forced out of its sheath.
=Steven Erikson: "Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen"=
* Dragnipur Forged by Draconus, Now in the hands of Anomander Rake, who slew Draconus with the sword. The souls of those killed by the blade are then chained to a great wagon which may hold the Throne of High House Dark, which they are forced to pull.
* The "Swords of Night and Day", wielded by Olek
Skilgannon'the Damned' in "White Wolf" and "The Swords of Night and Day". Powerful, yet inferior, copies of the Swords of Blood and Fire.
* The "Swords of Blood and Fire", twin swords wielded by Decado in "The Swords of Night and Day", and by Boranius in "White Wolf". The original swords from which the Swords of Night and Day were copied.
* "Snaga", Although Druss’ "axe’s" name is Snaga, The Sender, The Blades of No Return. Druss exorcized the demon from it which is later used to imbue Gorben’s sword with similar powers as the axe; causing Gorben to become insane.
William Goldman (S. Morgenstern): "
The Princess Bride"
* "The Six-Fingered Sword", wielded by
Inigo Montoya, originally forged for the polydactyl Count Rugenby Montoya's father.
Terry Goodkind: "Sword of Truth" series
Sword of Truth", wielded by Richard Rahl, a man of great inner strength who begins life as a simple forest guide. The sword has numerous powers, most notably that it rebels against being used on a target the wielder does not believe deserves to die, punishes its user after they have killed someone with it (especially someone who did not deserve to die), remembers the skills of its previous wielders, and if given to someone not worthy of the sword, will eventually transform them into a subhuman creature.
M. John Harrison: "Viriconium"
tegius Cromis's sword, "which contrary to the fashion of the time had no name" – "The Pastel City" "et seq."
Brian Herbert: "Dune" series
*Neuroblade: An electronic blade, similar in appearance to a
lightsaber, which does not leave any visible marks on a victim's body. When used, causes the victim's mind to make the wounds inflicted on the body become real. Used exclusively by Hasimir Fenring.
Brian Jacques: "Redwall"
*The sword of
Martin the Warrioris given to the champion of RedwallAbbey. It was remade made from the metal of a falling star, after it was broken by Tsarmina and now is said to be unbreakable. It is passed down from Warrior to Warrior, and is of great importance to all the Redwall inhabitants. The sword is said to be magical, but it has been proven that its true power comes from the wielder. Although lost for a long time after Martin's death, the mouse Matthias manages to find the sword and its sheath. Its first owner was Martin's father, Luke, but it was given to Martin when Luke went to sea.
Robert Jordan: "The Wheel of Time" series
Callandor" — A powerful sa'angreal, also known as "The Sword that is not a Sword" resides in the Stone of Tear (heart of the stone)
Heron Mark Sword" — Swords borne by blademasters. Some are Power-wrought blades of Aes Sedai make, and thus unbreakable. A majority are crafted of more mundane stuff.
* "Sword of the Malkieri Kings" — Lan's sword, Aes Sedai work and unbreakable. Not heron-marked.
* "Justice" — The sword of Artur Paendrag Tanreall, Artur Hawkwing.
Mercedes Lackey: "Vows and Honor"
* "Need" — Wielded by Kethry in the Vows and Honor trilogy, then later by Kerowyn in
By the Sword. Next Elspeth receives Need during the Winds series at which point the dormant sentience in the sword awakens and takes a more active role with its wielders. Nyara also receives the sword during the Winds series. This sword formed a magical bond with its wielders. The swords magical properties would only work for females or men with balanced natures. Those bonded would be driven by the sword to help women in distress while the sword's sentience was in its dormant state.
Mercedes Lackey: "Winds of Fate"
* "Need" — In "Winds of Fate", Need "awoke" and it was discovered that the blade was an ancient mage-smith who, after those she lived with were massacered by bandits, sealed her soul inside the blade, which was found shortly after by the only other survivor, a teenage girl. That girl used the sword and with the mage's assistance hunted down and killed the bandits.
Fritz Leiber: "Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser"
Graywand" — The name of the longsword wielded by the barbarian, Fafhrd.
* "Heartseeker" — Fafhrd's dagger, often used as a throwing weapon.
* "Cat's Claw" — The Grey Mouser's Dirk.
* "Scalpel" — A thin-bladed rapier that is often dual wielded along with Cat's Claw.
Note: Lieber's stories make it clear that these names are given to whatever weapons are currently in the possession of the two characters, not to a specific, unique item.
George R. R. Martin: "A Song of Ice and Fire"
* "Blackfyre" — ancestral Valyrian steel sword of
House Targaryen, given to his bastard Daemon Blackfyre by Aegon IV. Lost in the Blackfyre Rebellion.
* "Brightroar" — Valyrian steel sword of
House Lannister, lost along with King Tommen II before the time of the series.
* "Dark Sister" — a Valyrian steel sword of House Targaryen, wielded by the likes of Aemon the Dragonknight and Ser Brynden Rivers, whereabouts unknown.
* "Dawn" — the ancestral sword of House Dayne with a blade forged from a fallen star. Returned to Starfall by Ned Stark; current bearer unknown.
* "Heartsbane" — the ancestral Valyrian steel
greatswordof House Tarly. Borne by Randyll Tarly of Horn Hill.
* "Ice" — the ancestral Valyrian steel greatsword of
House Stark, now melted down and re-forged. Borne by Ned Stark until his execution by Ser Ilyn Payne, who used Ice to do it.
* "Lady Forlorn" — ancestral sword of House Corbray, currently borne by Ser Lyn Corbray of the Vale.
* "Lightbringer" - a legendary weapon created by Azor Ahai, legendary savior/hero of the faith of R'hllor. While Stannis Baratheon claims to bear it, and indeed possesses a sword which glows with the color of fire but gives off no heat, characters have doubted whether his weapon is genuine, and whether King Stannis is truly the Prince that was Promised.
* "Lion's Tooth" — a child-sized
longswordborne by Prince Joffrey of House Baratheon. Taken from him by Arya Stark and thrown into a river.
* "Longclaw" — the ancestral Valyrian steel
bastard swordof House Mormont, given now to Jon Snow. The collectibles company [http://www.valyriansteel.com Valyrian Steel] is producing an authorized replica of this blade, expected to ship to consumers by the end of 2008.
* "Needle" — a
side-swordgiven to Arya Stark by her half-brother Jon Snow when he left Winterfell to serve on the Wall; Arya has retained it as her last tie to House Stark, despite (willfully) discarding all other indications of her identity. Arya has been trained in its use by a water dancer of Braavos, though Jon Snow's original lesson remains most pertinent: "Stick them with the pointy end."
* "Nightfall" — a Valyrian Sword owned by Ser Harras Harlaw.
* "Oathkeeper" — a Valyrian steel longsword that was also forged from the remains of Ice. It was given to Jaime Lannister by his father, who then gave it to Brienne of Tarth.
* "Red Rain" — Probably the ancestral sword of House Rayne, now property of House Drumm.
* "Widow's Wail" — a Valyrian steel longsword forged from the remains of Ice and presented to King Joffrey by his grandfather during his wedding feast. Current whereabouts unspecified, though probably re-gifted to Joffrey's heir and younger brother King Tommen (Joffrey having been assassinated at aforementioned wedding feast).
China Miéville: "The Scar"
* "Possible Sword" — A relic of the probability-mining Ghosthead Empire, now owned by Uther Doul. When activated, it will exist simultaneously where it is and where it could be, allowing it to inflict hundreds of wounds simultaneously.
Michael Moorcock: "Eternal Champion" series
The Black Blade" — Urlik Skarsol's sword.
Kanajana" — Erekosë's sword.
* "Mournblade" — "Stormbringer"'s twin, Elric's cousin
Ravenbrand" — Ulric von Bek's sword (perhaps an avatar of "Stormbringer" or "Mournblade")
Stormbringer" — Elric's sword. Stormbringer absorbs the souls of anyone it kills.
The Sword of the Dawn" — Dorian Hawkmoon's sword.
* "Traitor" —
CorumJhaelen Irsei's sword.As Moorcock co-opts some characters from legend and myth as avatars of the Eternal Champion, this list might also include:
* "Durindana" (see above)
* "Excalibur" (see above)
C.S. Lewis: "Chronicles of Narnia" series
* "Rhindon" - The sword given to Peter Pevensie by Father Christmas to fight against the
White Witchin battle. The sword was placed in a chamber during his joint reign as King over Narniawith his brothers and sisters. Upon his return to Narnia, he reclaimed Rhindon until Aslantold him that he would never return. He then gave King Caspian his sword.
Christopher Paolini: "Inheritance" cycle
* Zar'roc, or Misery, as it is known in the human Language. It is iridescent red, and about three and a half feet. Zar’roc has a teardrop shaped long gold pommel. With the sides cut away to reveal a ruby the size of an egg. The hilt is wrapped in silver wire and the sheath is wine red and smooth as glass. It is adorned solely by a strange black symbol etched into it. The handle fits Eragon’s hand perfectly. Zar’roc was originally owned by Morzan of the Forsworn, Eragon's father (As he assumes at the end of book two), it was given to Eragon by
Brom. Eragon wielded it and slew the shade Durzabefore it was taken from him by his brother, Murtagh.
* Naegling is the sword of the elder rider
Oromis. It is golden in color.
Brisingris Eragon'snew sword. He, with the help of Saphiraand Rhunön, forged it when he returned to Ellsesméra in the third book. It is Blue in color and bursts into flames of a similar color when Eragon speaks it's name, the same name for fire in the ancient language.
* Arvindr is a sword of unknown ownership held in the Elven city of Nädindel. The color and other features are unknown as of book three.
* Támerlein is the sword of the dragon rider Arva who parished in battle at the time of the fall of the riders. It is deep green in color and has a emerald in the pommel. It is the same length Zar'roc, with a rounder tip and wider blade, and had a heavier built hilt. It currently belongs to House Valtharos and is held by Lord Fiolr, the mate of Arva's sister, Naudra.
Tamora Pierce: "Song of the Lioness"
* "Lightning" - A magical sword wielded by
Alanna of Trebondwho found it in the ruins of Barony Olau. When finding Lightning Alanna was almost killed by an unknown dark power, but Lightning saved her by burning the darkness with the crystal on its hilt. Besides having a crystal on its hilt, it was thinner and lighter than a broadsword. In the third book, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man, Lightning broke during a battle with deranged hillmen. But Alanna mended Lightning by combining the broken pieces with The Crystal Blade using a spell she learned from the Bazhir.
*"The Crystal Blade" - This sword had a crystal on the hilt and dark powers to make its wielder love to kill. Everyone including Alanna had trouble controlling this power. The previous owner had been taken over by the sword. Alanna used this blade to mend her sword, Lightning, which broke during a battle with the hillmen. In the fourth book,
Lioness Rampant, she learned that the crystal blade was made by her archenemy, Duke Roger of Conté.
Phillip Pullman: "His Dark Materials Trilogy"
* "The Subtle Knife" - Also known as
Æsahættr, or the god destroyer. The Subtle Knife is unique for being able to cut through anything, even so far as the fifth dimension. It plays an important role in the His Dark Materials trilogy, where it was first used by Giacomo Paradisi, then passed down to Will Parryshortly before his death. It has affinities with the version of Arthurian myth that claimed Excaliburcould cut through any metal.
Jennifer Roberson: "The Novels of Tiger and Del"
* "Single-Stroke" - used by Sandtiger until it broke, replaced by Samiel.
* "Boreal" - jivatma used by Delilah until she broke it.
* "Samiel" - jivatma used by Tiger until he broke it.
The Hero and the Crown
*"Gonturan- Aerins Sword", which helps her kill Agsded the evil wizard
J. K. Rowling: "Harry Potter" series
* Godric Gryffindor's Sword - a sword in the "
Harry Potter" series. Can only be wielded by a "True Gryffindor". In the last book, it is revealed that it is goblin-made, and therefore, goblins take ownership of it. However, when a true Gryffindor arises, it comes out of the sorting hat. It is first pulled out by Harry Potter in Chamber of Secrets and then by Neville Longbottom in the Deathly Hallows and used to kill the last horcrux - Nagini the snake.
Fred Saberhagen: "Books of the Swords"
Twelve Swords of Power, each with a unique magic property, were forged by Vulcan and capriciously scattered across a world in which technology had been replaced by magic and the deities of classical antiquity returned.
* "Coinspinner" - a sword which brings luck to its wielder but may desert him at any moment.
* "Doomgiver" - the "sword of justice," which turns any attack back on the attacker.
* "Dragonslicer" - a sword which transcends dragons' resistance to normal weapons (but does not protect the wielder in any way).
* "Farslayer" - a sword which kills a named victim, regardless of distance, when it is thrown by its wielder... Who may, of course, become the next target.
* "Woundhealer" - a sword which heals diseases and injuries and cannot be used as a weapon.
* "Mindsword" - the "Sword of Glory" or "Skulltwister," which inspires instant and fanatic loyalty to the wielder.
* "Shieldbreaker" - a sword which destroys any weapon, including other Swords... but which cannot harm any creature "not" bearing a weapon, nor will it allow its wielder to use any other method than itself to attempt to attack another being, even if that being is unarmed.
* "Sightblinder" - a sword which causes its wielder to be perceived by observers as someone they either fear or trust, giving the power of disguise but "not" the power of stealth.
* "Soulcutter" - the "Tyrant's Blade," which imposes instant and unbreakable depression on anyone nearby—including the wielder.
* "Stonecutter" - a sword which can cut through stone.
* "Townsaver" - a sword which will protect the innocent from any number of attackers... But does not protect its wielder.
* "Wayfinder" - a sword which leads the wielder to whatever he seeks... But by the most dangerous way.See also: "
The Song of Swords"
R. A. Salvatore: "Demon Wars"
The elves made seven swords out of their fabulous metal silvril, and entrusted the weapons to the human rangers they trained in their distinctive straight-line fighting style.
*"Defender" was a sword with its hilt set with several magical magnetite gemstones which, when activated, could make a steel weapon be powerfully drawn to the blade.
*"Flamedancer" was a very thin, flexible sword with rubies set in its hilt. The blade could burst into flame. It was given to a To-Gai-Ru ranger, who was killed before he could return to his homeland, and later recovered by another To-Gai-Ru ranger.
*"Icebreaker" was a massive two-handed sword crafted especially for the northern ranger Andacanavar, and was the largest single item ever forged of silvril. In fact, it was large to the point where the elves were forced to improvise a fighting style to teach Andacanavar, as the elves' b'nelle desada would not work with the weapon's massive weight and reach.
*"Tempest" is perhaps the ultimate weapon for the elven b'nelle desada, a straight, slim, somewhat short one-handed sword designed to efficiently penetrate armor and skewer an opponent. Its hilt was eventually set with several magical gemstones, including graphite, which gave it the ability to fire lightning bolts.
R. A Salvatore: "Forgotten Realms"
The two most renowned blades in the Forgotten Realms are that very same dark elf's twin scimitars: Twinkle and Icingdeath.
*Twinkle""' was a finely crafted scimitar that was given to Drizzt Do 'Urden by Malcor Harpell the wizard when he (along with Bruenor Battlehammer, Regis, and Wulfgar) were on a journey to find Bruenors childhood home: Mithril Hall. Twinkle glows a soft blue light when Drizzt wields it that can be suppressed with a thought
*"Icingdeath" was a diamond edged scimitar found in the lair of the white dragon: Icingdeath. Icingdeath (the sword) was found before Drizzt received Twinkle but wasn't named until the Paths of Darkness. For a long time it was just called "the other scimitar" which was wielded in his right hand. Icingdeath has glows an icy blue when minions of fire are nearby and was created for the sole reason of destroying them. The wielder of Icingdeath gains an immunity to fire as long as they hold it in their possession.
Another set of blades of great renown are those of his nemesis: Artemis Entreri, the assassin
*"The Jeweled Dagger" was Artemis Enteri's trademark weapon. A finely crafted blade with a "particularly useful" ability: life vampirism. A living creature that is stabbed by the dagger will have the sensation of their life being sucked out of them... which is exactly what happens. The wielder of the dagger can draw the very life of a victim, which in turn, can heal and restore the strength of the wielder. The jeweled dagger is always present on Artemis Entreri's person (and is used as a secondary weapon to his sabre and eventually Charon's Claw).
*"Charon's Claw" is a sentient blood-red blade that will destroy the mind of anyone of not strong enough will to suppress it. Artemis Entreri took the blade (along with a magic-absorbing glove) from Pasha Kohrin to gain a defense against the mercenary dark elf Jarlaxle's spellcasting lieutenants (Rai-guy the wizard-priest and Kimmuriel the psionicist). Besides an insatiable hunger to kill, Charons Claw's special quality is the ability to bring up a wall of black ash. Charons Claw replaced his enchanted sabre that he lost in a battle with Drizzt Do 'Urden.
Other great blades of renown in the Forgotten Realms
*"Khazid'hea" also known as Cutter is wielded by the adopted daughter of Bruenor Battle Hammer, Cattie Brie. The sword is sentient and always seeks out the strongest fighter it comes across. It's special property is the ability to 'cut' through anything including armor, wood, stone and even dwarven steel. It was once infatuated with becoming Drizzt Do 'Urden's blade until Cattie Brie mastered it causing it's head to form the shape of a unicorn.
Paul Seifert: "Legacy of X"
* Forsaken, a sword that is bonded to its host till death. It takes the blood of the host to increase its own strength and in turn protects its host from any danger by means of moving on its own. It can also emit a flame of hell from its tip. It is 6'2" in length (including the handle, which is 1'1" long) and weighs around 50 lbs. The full extent of its power has never been known to any mortal.
J. R. R. Tolkien: "Middle-earth" setting
Glamdring" —— Foe-hammer, a.k.a Beater (by the Goblins) Last wielded by Gandalfthe White
Narsil" (reforged into " Andúril", Flame of the West) Elendil's Sword in possession of Aragorn
Orcrist" — Goblin-cleaver, Biter, used by Thorin Oakenshield
Ringil" (owned by Fingolfin)
* "Sting" An Elven knife used as a sword by Bilbo, and later by Frodo
Anglachel" and Anguirel(forged from a meteorite)
Gurthang" (formerly Anglachel, a.k.a. Mormegil)
* "Herugrim" — sword of
Barrow-blade"Non-canon swords (movie only):
Hadhafang"- A sword used by Arwenin the movies.
* the "
Lhang (Elvish two-handed sword)" "See also: "
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: "Darksword" series
* "Hawk", Prince Gerald's enchanted sword. This relic from the Iron Wars has a built in ability which would make it thrust unerringly once the command words "Hawk, strike" are spoken.
* "The Dark Sword", Fashioned by Joram from an alloy of darkstone and iron. This crude one-piece blade, hilt, and handle has the resemblance of a dark humanoid figure forever frozen in crucifixion. It has the power to negate all magics cast upon it or its wielder.
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: "Starshield" series
* "Nightsword" - The enchanted sword that gives the second book in the series its name. It has the power to grant its wielder's wishes.
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: "Dragonlance Chronicles" series
* "Wyrmslayer" - The sword of Qualenesti Elven king Kith-Kathan, later given by the dead king to Tanis Half-Elven. Hums when in the presence of dragons.
Tad Williams: "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn"
The "Great Swords", which give the series its name:
* "Memory", also called "Minneyar" - iron sword of King Fingil Bloodfist, taken up by
* "Sorrow", also called "Jingizu" - witchwood/iron sword of Ineluki, the Storm King
* "Thorn" - Sir Camaris' long sword crafted from the tailings of a fallen star.The Great Swords require no maintenance to stay sharp. They also possess a limited sentience, and will become easier to wield when the situation warrants (e.g. when the wielder is in danger).Lesser swords also named in the series:
* "Naidel", Prince Josua's thin rapier
* "Kvalnir", Duke Isgrimnur's blade
* "Bright-Nail", Prester John's holy blade (later revealed to be Memory in disguise)
* "Indreju", Jiriki's witchwood sword
Gene Wolfe: "Book of the New Sun"
Terminus Est" - Carried by the protagonist, the Torturer Severian. Has liquid metal (mercury, referred to by its Latin name "hydrargyrum") within the blade, making it hard to lift and giving more power on the downswing.
Roger Zelazny: "Chronicles of Amber"
Grayswandir" used by Corwin of Amber. Grayswandir is associated with the moon and the night.
* "Werewindle" used by Brand of Amber. Werewindle is associated with the sun.
(Various authors): "Forgotten Realms" setting
Clamorer", sword of Peirgeiron Paladinson, Lord of Waterdeep.
Hill Cleaver", holy avenger sword of Dragonbait.
Godsbane", wielded by Cyricduring the Time of Troubles. It actually was a disguised Avatar of Mask.
* "Icingdeath" and "Twinkle," scimitars wielded by
* "Khazid'hea", an intelligent sword wielded by the drow weapons master
Dantrag Baenreand later by Catti-brie.
* "Charon's Claw", an intelligent, malevolent sword and wielded by the assassin
* ""'Weaveshear, magic destroying sword wielded by Erevis Cale
Dark Swords" were the swords made of strands of shadow essence, wielded by the warriors of Vaasa. If an improper user held the blades, the blades hilt would freeze their hands.
Spike Sword" The Story of one fearless mans righteous conquest to ride his chivalrous steed throughout the land of doncaster and thrust his Spike Sword into willing young maidens. The sword its self is said to be herculean in size with great magnitude in girth with a formidable reach, wielded by his own hands it was a weapon that was feared throughout the villages of doncaster.
In other fiction
* Rain Dragon, owned by
Judge Deein the novels of Robert van Gulik
In movies and television
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Robin of Sherwood
The Seven Swords of Wayland
* Albion, the sword of Herne's Son (
Robin Hood). It cannot be used to slay him.
* EligorThe power of the sword is neither good nor evil until used. In the episode "The Swords of Wayland" a coven gains all seven and attempts to summon Lucifer. This is thwarted by Robin Hood who reclaims his sword, Albion, and see the other six apparently destroyed. Any special abilities of the other swords were not discussed in the show, so not much is known about them beyond their names.
* The Kensei Sword, a katana wielded by
Takezo Kensei, and later by Hiro Nakamura
* Pan Sword - In the 1991 movie "Hook",
Peter Panhad a sword made of a gold blade and the handle made from a coconut. After Peter left Neverlandand grew up, Rufio, a Lost Boy, took the sword and became the new Pan. When Peter came back to rescue his children and reawakened his past, Rufio gave the sword back to him. The sword has no powers but, sometimes, the blade seems to sing when a new owner, or an original owner holds it. Star Wars
Lightsabers, the energy-based swords used by the Jediand Sithin the Star Warsfranchise. The Golden Blade
* The Sword of Damaskus, a golden sword that can cut anything and makes its wielder invincible is used by
Harun Al-Rashid( Rock Hudson) to free a fairy-tale Bagdad from Jafar, the evil usurper of the throne. Star Trek New Frontier
*Captain M'k'n'zy of Calhoun
Mackenzie Calhounhas a sword which he took from a Dantari on the walls of his ready room. Bionicle
*The Fire Sword was Tahu Mata's Toa Tool. It could be used to channel Tahu's Fire powers. This tool was also used by Akamai, a being resulting in the fusion of Tahu, Onua, and Pohatu The Firesword was changed into twin Magma Swords when Tahu was transformed into a Toa Nuva by Energized Protodermis.
*Kopaka's Ice Sword was his Toa Tool as a Toa Mata, along with his Ice Shield. It could have been used to channel his Ice powers. Before he became a Toa Nuva, Kopaka had only one blade, but it was less powerful and could not have been used as a mode of transportation.
* Magma Swords, are Tahu Nuva's Swords that turn into a surfboard. A similar set of swords, the Fire great Swords are used by toa Lhikan.
* Ice swords, used by Kopaka that can double as ice skates.
*The Air Sword is Toa Lesovikk's Toa Tool. It can be used to channel his Elemental Power of Air.
*Toa Lewa Nuva's Toa Tools are called Air Katana. He can hold them up to his sides as glider wings, or spin them as seen in BIONICLE: Mask of Light. Reidak snapped one of Lewa Nuva's Air Katana in half over his knee in BIONICLE Legends 1: Island of Doom. The other was confiscated after he was knocked unconscious and put in the Piraka Stronghold. Lewa was later able to retrieve it when they raided it. After the Voya Nui Resistance Team had rescued the Toa Nuva, one of them had offered to make Lewa a new Katana.
* Energized Ice/Lightning sword used by Matoro Inika. It shot ice beams intwertwined with lightning.
* Energized Fire/Lightning Sword used by Jaller Inika. It shot fire beams intertwined with lightning.
* A power sword used by Jaller Mahri.
*The Aqua Warblade is Hewkii Mahri's Toa Tool and is one of the finest weapons in existence. It is said to be one of the finest swords ever made, designed to be used only by a master warrior. While Hewkii has had this weapon ever since he became a Toa Mahri, he seems to channel his Stone powers through his hands instead.
* Aero Slicers, Matau's toa tools. Used to channel his elemental power of air. He was also able to attach them to his back and use them as glider wings and rotors. They were strong enough to cut through energy fields.
* The Fire Great Swords, are two enormous blades owned by toa lihkan and seen in released in October 2004. They connect along the toothed blade to make a shield that also works as a lava surf board.
Shikomizueis sword hidden in a cane , with a dagger hidden in the hilt, is the blind swordsman Zatoichi's potent weapon in the Japanese series of movies. Power Rangers
* Power Sword: Was the default weapon of the
Red Rangers Jason Lee Scottand Rocky DeSantosin " Mighty Morphin Power Rangers". It had a razor-sharp blade and could be energized with red energy, for instance, when Jason was battling the evil Green Ranger, and energized the blade before throwing it towards the Green Ranger, knocking the Sword of Darkness out of his hands.
* Sword of Darkness: Sword that the evil Green Ranger, Tommy, used. It also allowed Rita to maintain her evil spell on Tommy and gave Tommy extraordinary power. Jason destroyed it, and Tommy was able to break free and join the Power Rangers.
* Sword of Power: A powerful sword that could give extra power to a Ranger that holds it. It could only be summoned when all six Rangers were present and combined their powers. In the episode "The Green Dream",
Lord Zeddput Tommy in a trance to steal the sword for his monster, RoboGoat, which made it extra powerful. Tommy was released from the trance upon giving up the sword. Tommy tried to get the sword back, but RoboGoat weakened his Green Ranger power by a lot. Jason, the Red Ranger, faced RoboGoat one-on-one, and got the sword back for Zordon.
* Sword of Light: A sword that allowed Zordon to transfer the powers of Rangers to new chosen Rangers. Zordon used it only once on Jason Lee Scott,
Zack Taylor, and Trini Kwanin order make Rocky DeSantos, Adam Park, and Aisha Campbellthe new Red, Black, and Yellow Rangers.
* Saba. This was a talking saber which granted
Tommy Oliver, as the White Ranger, control of the Tigerzord. It also assisted Tommy in piloting the Zord. Saba was able to levitate and shoot energy out of his eyes. Though Saba was created by the power of Thunder, he was restored after Tommy gained the White Ninja Ranger powers.
Alien Rangerseach had a sword of their own.
* The Zeo Rangers each had a small sword as their sidearm, along with their blasters.
* Zeo Sword. Was the personal weapon of Zeo Ranger V, Tommy Oliver, in .
* Turbo Sword. A sword carried by each Turbo Ranger. The handle could be pulled back for an extra power boost. Appears in
Power Rangers Turbo.
* Turbo Lightning Sword: Red Turbo Ranger's personal weapon.
* Spiral Saber: Red Ranger's personal weapon in "
Power Rangers in Space". It featured a distinct drill-like blade, and could be combined with an Astro Blaster and equipped with a "Booster" attachment at the blade's tip to increase its firepower.
* Super Silverizer: The Silver Ranger's personal weapon doubles as a blaster and a sword in Power Rangers in Space.
* Quasar Sabers: A quintet of legendary swords that rested on the Planet Mirinoi for over 3,000 years awaiting the chosen ones of legend in "". Once released from the stone, the Sabers granted each of their wielders Ranger powers. They can charge up for elemental slashes and can slice through chain.
* Magna Blaster:
Magna Defender's signature rifle can also transform into a sword when the gun's handle is bent back and pulled out.
* Savage Sword: A sword that was said to be more powerful than the Quasar Sabers combined. It grew more powerful after each successful hit. The Pink Psycho Ranger managed to retrieve it to fight the Space and Galaxy Rangers, even destroying the Pink Space Ranger's Astro Morpher. The Pink Galaxy Ranger sacrificed her life to restore the Morpher and destroy the sword.
* Chrono Sabers: Each Ranger, in "", carries two Chrono Sabers, which can also double as a lance. In battle, the Chrono Sabers can fire energy projectiles and are used to deliver a Time Strike. The Rangers can also spin around like a tornado and strike an opponent.
* Quantum Defender: The Quantum Ranger's personal firearm can change into a sword. Can deliver its own "Blizzard Slash" where it charges with blue energy and slashes the enemy two times Used by Wes to give the Q-Rex more power to destroy Doomtron in the final battle.
* Golden Eagle Sword: Yellow Ranger's primary weapon, in "".
* Ninja Swords: The Ninja Storm basic sword. This weapon can transform in lasers
* Golden Ninja Swords: A powered version of the Ninja Swords; with this weapon, each Ranger can make a special element slash
* Samurai Saber: The personal weapon of green samurai ranger; with this weapon, Cam can produce a Power Slash
* Thundermax Saber: The basic sword of
* SPD practice Katana: A basic katana for practice. Jack uses this weapon but was useless against the Shadow Saber.
* Shadow Saber: This is the personal blade of the Shadow Ranger. With this sword, Crugger can deflect bullets and slice the enemy like butter
* Excelsior. A sword sought by Thrax, it was held by a female statue that eventually came to life after seeing the determination of the then-powerless
Operation OverdriveRangers and deemed them worthy of wielding the sword.
* Sentinel Sword: Sentinel Knight merged with Excelsior, giving him the ability to transform into a sword, which the rangers could carry and wield. By turning the knob on its hilt, it transforms him back into the Sentinel Knight. He can also enlarge and wielded in battle by the DriveMax Megazord.
In computer games and video games
Many other weapons exist in the
Monster Huntergame, but only the Sword Types are listed here.
Final forms of Great Swords(GS)
* "Chrome Razor"
* "GMR Chrome Heart"
* "Frozen Tuna"
* "Eager Cleaver"
* "Lacerator Blade+"
* "Tactical Blade"
* "Great Serpentblade"
* "Rathalos Firesword"
* "Plesioth Water Sword"
* "Eternal Annihilator"
* "Black Katana MKII"
* "Divine Slasher"
* "Ancient Blade"
* "Red Dragonsword"
* "Large Bone"
Final forms of Sword and Shields (SnS)
* "Poison Battleaxe"
* "Deadly Poison"
* "Monoblos Club"
* "Blazing Falchion"
* "Sandman Finsword"
* "Master's Blade"
* "Eternal Strife"
* "Spiked Bat"
* "Black Dragon Sword"
* "Iron Chefblade"
* "Kirin Bolt Ultimus"
* "Ninja Sword"
Final forms of Dual Swords (DS)
* "Dual Diablo+"
* "Dual Dragon Ultimus"
* "Dual Tomahawk+"
* "Gradios Ultimus"
* "Guild Saber"
Devil May Cry series
* "Rebellion" used by Dante in the
Devil May Cryseries (and in )
* "Yamato" used by Vergil in
Devil May Cry 3
* "Force Edge" used by Dante in
Devil May Cryand Vergil in Devil May Cry 3
* "Alastor" used by Dante in
Devil May Cry
* "Sparda" used by Dante in
Devil May Cry
* "Agni & Rudra" used by Dante in
Devil May Cry 3
* "Red Queen" used by Nero in
Devil May Cry 4
Final Fantasy series
* "Excalipur" – a cheap knock-off of the Excalibur used by Gilgamesh in
Final Fantasy V
* "Ragnarok" – "
Final Fantasy III", " Final Fantasy IV", " Final Fantasy V", " Final Fantasy VI", " Final Fantasy VII", " Final Fantasy XI", " Final Fantasy XII"
Buster Sword" – Cloud Strife's sword in " Final Fantasy VII", previously used by Zack Fair and Angeal Hewley (for whom it was made).
First Tsurugi" – a six-blade assembly used by Cloud Strifein " Final Fantasy VII Advent Children"
Lightbringer" – A Sword that has appeared in the Game Boy Advanceport of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV, Illumina in the original version of Final Fantasy VIbut was renamed Lightbringer in the GBA port, as well as a important, yet unusable of the San d'Oria storyline. In the games it appears in it the strongest sword, and sometimes cast holy on hit.
Masamune" – Sword appearing in virtually all the Final Fantasy games, most notably wielded by Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII. The name is based on a famous historical Japanese swordsmith, along with Muramasa.
Gunblade" – Used by Squall Leonhartand Seifer Almasyin " Final Fantasy VIII"
Ultima Weapon" - The best or one of the best weapons in the series, usually tied to the wielder's health. If the wielder is at maximum strength, the blade is as well.
* "Sword of Kings - A sword capable of cutting through nethicite.
* "Treaty Blade - A sword made to cut nethicite. The Occuria forged this blade for King Raithwall so that he could take pieces of nethicite off of the Sun-Cryst.
Brotherhood- A sword given to Tidus in Final Fantasy X by Wakka. This sword belonged to Chappu, Wakka's brother until Chappu's death fighting Sin.
For more, see
List of Final Fantasy weapons.
Fire Emblem series
* The "Light Brand", "Wind Sword", "Sonic Sword", and "Runesword", magic swords from the
* "Falchion", Marth's sword from the original game,
* "Tyrfing", Sigurd and Celice's sword in
* "Balmunk", Shanan's sword in
* "Mistoltin", Eltoshan and Ares' sword in
* The "Earth Sword", Nanna's sword in
* The "Fire Sword", Eyvel's sword in
* "Sword of Seals", Roy's sword in
* "Exxacus", King Zephiel's sword in
* "Durandal", Eliwood's sword in Fire Emblem
* "Sol Katti" and its sister the "Mani Katti", wielded by Lyn in Fire Emblem
* "Regal Blade", sword wielded by Lloyd as a corpse in Fire Emblem
* "Wo Dao", sword wielded by Karel and Karla in Fire Emblem. Also wielded by Fir in
* "Sieglinde", the Sacred Sword of Renais, wielded by Eirika in
* "Audhulma", the Sacred Sword of Jehanna in
* "Vague Katti", Stefan's sacred sword in
* "Regal Sword", the sword Ike receives from his father in
* "Ragnell", Ike's sacred sword in and
* "Amiti", Elincia's sword in
* "Alondite", the Black Knight's sword in
* "Gurgurant", Ashnard's sword in
* "Ettard", Ike's sword in
Kingdom Hearts series
The Kingdom Hearts series of video games prominently features a weapon known as the Keyblade, a combination of sword and oversized key with powers mostly related to the opening or sealing of locks. The Keyblade carried by Sora, the series' protagonist, can be changed to different forms by attaching different keychains. The various keychains are mostly patterned after the worlds or characters from which they were obtained.
This is a list of keyblades by name. [ [http://www.kuponut.com/games/kh/weapons_list.html Kingdom Hearts Weapons List ] ]
*Follow The Wind
*Circle Of Life
*Bond Of Flame
*Destined Encounter [ [http://libekory.livejournal.com/tag/rant Adult Content Notice ] ]
*Winner's Proof [ [http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/935702/50361 GameFAQs: Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix + (PS2) Translation Guide by starrk ] ]
*Inverted Kingdom Key
*Way To the Dawn
Master Sword" — iconic and main sword of the "Zelda" series, found in every "Zelda" game except ', ', ', ' and "" (although, in " The Legend of Zelda", it is referred to as the "Magical Sword"). It mirrors the Sword in the Stone because it is usually found stuck in a pedestal.
* "Kokiri Sword" — Link's first sword in ', also in ', though it looks different in the second game.
* "Biggoron's Sword" — two-handed giant sword in "". It resembles the Giant's Knife, but never breaks.
* "Double Helix Sword" — The blade wielded by Fierce Deity Link in , when the Fierce Deity's Mask is worn. Can shoot an enemy through Z/L Targeting (Z on N64 and L on Gamecube)
* "Giant's Knife" — from "", a two-handed sword sold by Medigoron that eventually breaks.
* "Great Fairy's Sword — ". Obtained by rescuing the 15 stray fairies of the last dungeon.
* "Gilded Sword" — "" - Gained by giving Zabura Gold Dust to permanently upgrade the Kokiri Sword.
* "Hero's Sword" — "" - First given to Link after Tetra the pirate lands in the Outset Island forest by Orca the Swordsman of Outset Island.
* "Light Sword" — In some parts of "", the Master Sword temporarily turns into this. It is like the Master Sword, but it has the power to dispel dark clouds and fog when swung.
* "Noble Sword" — ' and ' Like the White Sword, it has the ability to shoot beams under certain conditions.
* "Ordon Sword" - "" The second sword Link receives (after the Wooden Sword, see below) and is the sword used until the Master Sword is acquired.
* "Phantom Sword" — "" It is the only weapon in the game that can penetrate the armour of the Phantom Guards in The Temple of the Ocean King.
* "Picori Blade/Four Sword" — ', ', and "". This blade, given to an ancient hero by the Minish with the special power that can divide the wielder's body into four, creating four times the power. The sword is used to seal away the main enemy from the Four Swords series, Vaati, and if it is ever drawn, Vaati will be released.
* "Razor Sword" — "" - Gained by giving Zabura 100 Rupees but loses its sharpness after 100 hits.
* "Smith's Sword" — "" - The sword forged by Link's Grandfather "Smith" for the victor of the Picori Festival Tournament, but given to Link instead after Vaati makes his first appearance.
* "White Sword" — Like the Noble Sword, it has the ability to shoot beams under certain conditions.
* "Wooden Sword" — Link's first sword in "
The Legend of Zelda", ', ', ', and ', though it is often analogous with the name Hero's Sword. It may also be the first sword present in ', though that sword is never given a name, and can only be inferred to be the same sword as in '.
* "Dual Artisan Swords"
* "Dual Crimson Swords"
* "Dual Elven Long Sword"
* "Dual Keshanberks"
* "Dual Knight's Sword"
* "Dual Raid Swords"
* "Dual Stormbringer"
* "Dual Sword of Limit"
* "Dual Sword of Nightmare"
* "Dual Tsurugi"
* "Deathbringer Sword"
* "Dragon Slayer"
* "Elemental Sword"
* "Spirits Sword"
* "Sword of Delusion"
* "Sword of Miracles"
* "Sword of Nightmare"
* "Sword of Valhalla"
Namco's "Tales" series
Eternal Sword", the ultimate weapon in the Tales series.
* "Vorpal Blade", Used by Cless Alvein in
Tales of Phantasiaand by Lloyd Irving in Tales of Symphonia. Named "Material Blades" when paired with the "Flamberge".
* "Flamberge", Used by Cless Alvein in
Tales of Phantasiaand later used by Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia, who ultimately gives to Lloyd Irving. Named "Material Blades" when paired with "Vorpal Blade".
* "Dymlos"', a Swordian (Sentient sword) used by Stahn Aileron in
Tales of Destiny
* "Atwight", a Swordian used by Rutee Katrea in
Tales of Destiny
* "Chaltier", a Swordian used by Leon Magnus in
Tales of Destiny
* "Clemente", a Swordian used by Philia Felice in
Tales of Destiny
* "Igtenos", a Swordian used by Garr Kelvin in
Tales of Destiny
* "Berselius", a Swordian used by Hugo Gilchrist in
Tales of Destiny
* "The Key of Lorelei", a sword of great importance in
Tales of the Abyss.
* "Raizan" used by Samanosuke Akechi in
Onimushaand Onimusha 3
* "Enryuu" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha and Onimusha 3
* "Shippuu" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha and Onimusha 3
BishamonSword" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha and Onimusha 3
* "Buraitou" -Thunder Sword- used by Yagyū Jubei in
* "Senpumaru" -Wind Lance- used by Yagyū Jubei in
* "Rekka-ken" -Fire Sword- used by Yagyū Jubei in
* "Tensoujin" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha 3
* "Kuugatou" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha 3
* "Onimusha Sword" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha 3
* "Genma Samonji" used by Samanosuke Akechi in Onimusha 3
Heroes of Might and Magic
* "The Sword of Frost" - a sword that is at the center of the plot of the "The Sword of Frost" chapter of the
Heroes Chroniclessaga. In the storyline there is a legend that foretells the destruction if the sword is used by anyone. The half-human half-elf ranger Gelu decides to find and destroy it, and Tarnum who is the main character, starts a mission in order to stop Gelu from finding the sword, knowing that even only finding it will bring the world to an end. Gelu has the Aemageddons Blade (see under), and Tarnum must first gather enough Black Dragons (immune to spells) in order to defeat Gelu.
Armageddon's Blade" - it is a relic class, right handed artifact that boosts the primary skills of the hero who weilds it. It also gives the hero the ability to cast the 'Armageddon' spell during combat at an expert level, inflicting massive damage to all enemy creatures by simultaneously protecting the heroe's own from the Armageddon spell. It's one of the most powerful non-composite right handed (i.e. swords and similar) artifacts, and arguably one of the most powerful artifacts overall, that gives a tremendous advantage in combat granted that only a few creatures are protected against that spell (such as Gold and Black Dragons and Phoenixes and Firebirds).
* "Titan's Thunder" - is a relic class composite artifact, meaning it can be found as a single artifact or by aquiring and assembling all of the components. When equiped to a heroe, it puts the 'Titan's Lightning' spell into the heroe's spellbook, a combat spell that inflicts massive damage to a single creature at cost zero mana.
* "Angelic Alliance" is a relic class composite artifact (see above). It allows the hero to put creatures different good and neutaral allignements together without any moral penalty. It also automatically casts the 'Prayer Spell' at the beginning of every combat on all of the heroe's creatures, boosting their speed and attack and defence strenght.
* "Blackshard of the Dead Knight" is a sword that increases the attack primary skill of the hero, thus increasing the attack of all of his creatures. It is one of the components needed to assemble the 'Armor of the Damned'.
* "Sword of Hellfire" is an artifact that increases the attack strenght (see above).
* "Titan's Gladius" is a massive sword artifact. It increases greatly the attack strenght of a hero, but reduces the defence strenght. It is one of the components needed to assemble the 'Titan's Thunder' (see above).
* "Red Dragon Flame Tongue" is a swort whose blade is covered with flames. It increases both the attack and defence of a hero and his or her creatures. It is one of the components needed to assemble the 'Power of the Dragon Father'.
* "Sword of Judgement" is a right handed artifact. When equiped, significatly increases all af the primary skills of the heroe, giving his or her army a great advantage in combat. In the storyline, it's a sword like the one used by Archangels. It is also one of the components needed to assemble the 'Angelic Alliance', and is one of the most powerful right-handed single artifacts, and arguably one of the most powerful non-composite artifacts overall.
* "Caesar Sword"
* "Holy Avenger"
* "Immaterial Sword"
* "Naght Seiger Twin Edge"
* "Silver Shotel"
* "Violet Fear"
uper Robot Wars
* "Keitouragouken" (計都羅喉剣), wielded by the Super Robot
* "Keitoushungokuken" (計都瞬獄剣), wielded by the Super Robot
* "Zankantou" (斬艦刀), any one of the similar giant swords wielded by
GrungustReishiki, Grungust Sanshiki, Daizengarand Thrudgelmir
* "Ryuou Hazanken" (龍王破山剣), a magical sword used by RyuKoOu
* "Koou Zanshin Rikouken" (虎王斬神陸甲剣), a giant magical
katanaused by Shin KoRyuOu
* "Shishiou Blade", a katana-like weapon that Personal Troopers can wield
* "Gorshalach", the Dark Render, is the most powerful weapon in the universe. This massive greatsword was originally wielded by
Sargeraswhile he was a member of the Titan Pantheon.
Arthas' runeblade in
* "The Twin Blades of Azzinoth", twin warblades used by
Illidan Stormrageduring the and in Warcraft III
* "Quel'Serrar", the Elven High Blade from
World of Warcraft
* "Thunderfury", Blessed Blade of the Windseeker from
World of Warcraft
* "Ashkandi", Greatsword of the Brotherhood from and
World of Warcraft
* "Ashbringer", Blade of the Scarlet High Lord from
World of Warcraft
* "Linken's Sword of Mastery", a secret sword given by Linken, a hidden character in
World of Warcraftwho bears resemblance to Link
* "The Hungering Cold" Possible Death Knight runeblade dropped by Kel'Thuzad
*"Sword of a Thousand Truths", a fictional sword first found in the South Park episode
Make Love Not Warcraft.This sword has a similar, almost exact appearance as The Hungering Cold.Due to live updates (patches), World of Warcrafthas a growing number of named swords wieldable by players.
Note that the a number of the swords used can have up to 3 users, the current owner of the Noble Phantasm, Servant Archer (Gilgamesh) who owns the original, and Servant Archer (Emiya) who can project a copy of it.
* In Fable, there exists a powerful sword known as the "Sword of Aeons", which once brought ruin to an empire and is sought by the villain known as "Jack of Blades". Later in the game, the player is given the choice of wielding the blade, though at the cost of murdering his own sister. In The Lost Chapters version of Fable, there exists another sword called "Avo's Tear". Said to rival the power of the "Sword of Aeons" it was hidden in such a way that it would only reveal itself to a hero that walked the path of light.
*Ninja Gaiden series of video games
** "Dark Dragon Blade" - Evil Sword carved out of the bones of a Black Dragon and has extremely powerful and evil abilities.
** "True Dragon Sword" - The true form of the Dragon Sword, Made by putting the Dragon's Eye on the end of the Dragon Sword.
Red SteelWii video game
*God of War series of video games
** "Blades of Chaos" - Two swords attached to chains that are fused to
Kratos' arms. They are his primary weapons bestowed to him by Ares until the God of War takes them back.
** "Athena's Blades" - Similar to the Blades of Chaos, and are a replacement to them after Kratos defeats Ares.
** "Blade of Artemis" - A large blade given to Kratos by the Goddess Artemis that was used by her to slay a Titan.
**"Blade of the Gods" - a giant sword held by a giant statue of Athena; Kratos takes it to kill Ares after the Blades of Chaos are taken from him.
** "Blade of Olympus" - A massive sword created by Zeus to banish the Titans. Kratos also uses the sword in the beginning of "
God of War 2" to destroy the Colossus of Rhodes, but it took his god powers away from him in the process.
* Elder Scrolls
** "Mehrunes Razor" - An enchanted dagger that has a chance to kill instantly, the creator is mehrunes dagon.. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
** "Duskfang/Dawnfang" -A magical sword that transforms at dusk and dawn. If the player kills 12 enemies while it's in one form it will become stronger once it transforms. The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Shivering Isles expansion
** "Goldbrand" - A katana-like sword that does 22
firedamage for every enchanted strike. Found in .
* "Holy Sword" - "
Alundra" Forged by Jess in Alundra's dream where Lutas dies, forged from the dreams of the village folk before Alundra's final Battle.
* "Lumina" & "Fusion" – "
Brave Fencer Musashi"
* Twin "Daemon Swords" - needed for final boss fight in
** "Valmanway" from Castlevania games (though it was called Crissaegrim once), a sword which, when used, emit razorwind around itself doing multiple hits. Valmanway is also extraordinarily light, capable of very quick attack as well as giving its wielder more freedom to his movements. It is the most powerful of all the "short sword" weapons in Dawn of Sorrow.
** Various swords from mythology or legend (at least in name):
Claíomh Solais, Caladbolg, Joyeuse, Balmung, Hrunting, Osafune, Kunitsuna, Yasutsuna and more.
* "Einlanzer" – Used by Glenn in "
* "Akujiki" - A soul-devouring sword in " [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinobi_(2002_video_game) Shinobi] "
** "Elsydeon" – Appearing first as an ordinary anonymous laconinan sword used by Alisa in "
Phantasy Star"and later appearing with the formal name Elsydeon used by Chaz (Rudy in Japan) in" Phantasy Star 4, "earned in the basement of the Esper Mansion. The sword holds the spirits of the heroes from Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star 2, as well as Alys (Lyla in Japan) from the same game.
** "Nei Sword" – Unique sword given to Rolf character in "
Phantasy Star 2"by Lutz, a long-living esper sage somewhere hidden in the cold planet of Dezoris" "
**"Sealed J-Sword"'- Rarest sword type weapon in
Phantasy Star Online. Found at a drop rate of 1/12,604 by killing Gi Gues, giant bee like enemies found in the Seaside and Tower areas.
Dragon's Tooth Sword" – Deus Ex
* "The Fury", "Inquisitor", "Dragonfang" – some of the strongest weapons in Dungeon Master and
Chaos Strikes Back
* "Granasaber" – Used by Ryudo in "
* "Maken Valborg" – Used by Melfice in "
* "Invictus Gladius-Sword of Vengeance" - ""
* "The Blade of Darkness" - "
Blade of Darkness"
** "Blurite sword" - A copy of a knight's lost sword given to his squire, who lost the original.
** "Anger Sword" - A sword used during a quest to slay magically angered beasts.
** "God sword" - A powerful divine sword fought over by the deities of the game.
** "Silverlight" - A sword with magical demon-slaying properties used to kill the demon Delrith.
** "Darklight" - An improved version of Silverlight after it has been empowered by the blood of the demon Agrith-Naar during a quest.
* "Energy Sword" - In "Halo", a weapon with a curved handle used by the Covenant, the Master Chief, and the Flood. It has two blades made entirely of energy, thus the name energy sword.
Daikatana" from the game of the same name
Keyblade" – The Kingdom Hearts series
Soul Reaver", or The Reaver Blade, from the Legacy of Kainseries
* "Dragon Buster" – Used by Lloyd in "
The Legend of Dragoon"
* "Dualblade" – "
* "Sword of Althena" – ' and '
* "Z-Saber" – Used by Zero in the
Mega Man X seriesand Mega Man Zero series. Then Used by Giro, Vent, Aile, and Omega Zero in Mega Man ZX
* "Dragon Sword", The main weapon used by Ryu Hayabusa in
* "True Dragon Sword", the final form of the Dragon Sword when the Dragon's Eye jewel is inserted into the hilt
* "Dark Dragon Blade", the sister sword of the Dragon Sword in Ninja Gaiden. It is stolen in the beginning, and the game's goal is to retrieve it.
* "Soulforge", the paladin sword from the
Quest for Gloryseries.
* "Lilarcor", a sentient sword from .
* "Kokujatou" (黒蛇刀) - a flexible sword that can double as a whip, used by JakuBuOu in "
** "Koutou-Mukei" (光刀無形) – Used by Shinnosuke Yamazaki and Ichiro Ogami
** "Reiken-Arataka" (霊剣荒鷹) – Used by Kazuma Shinguji and Sakura Shinguji
** "Shinken-Shirahadori" (神剣白羽鳥) – Used by Ayame Fujieda and Sakura Shinguji
** "Shintou-Mekkyaku" (神刀滅却) – Used by Ikki Yoneda and Ichiro Ogami
Weapons in Seven Samurai 20XX", an assortment of blades used in Seven Samurai 20XX.
* "Chaos Breaker", wielded by the main characters of the
* "Soul Edge", demonic shapeshifting sword in
* "Soulcalibur", the holy shapeshifting sword in
* The "Shishi-oh", wielded by Mitsurugi in the "
Soul series" games
* The "Yoshimitsu", wielded by a character of the same name in the "Soul" and "Tekken" games.
Zodiac sword(Incorrectly translated as Star Dragon Sword) – Used by Viktor in " Suikoden" and " Suikoden II" and by Edge in " Suikoden III"
* Prakk – Wielded by Emperor Barbarossa Rugner in"
* "Izayoi" -
Tenchu, wielded by Rikimaru
* "Natsume" -
Tenchu, wielded by Rin
* "Sword of Paradise" – "Ultima"
* "Enilno", the Quicksword – "
The Black Sword" – ""
* "Blade Cusinart" –
Guardian Blade" - " Wild Arms"
Guardian Blade" " Argetlahm" - " Wild Arms 2"
Doom Bringer" - " Wild Arms" and ""
* "Cleria Sword"; A weapon made from the holy metal Cleria, seen in Ys II and Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
* "Brave Sword"; Weapon belonging to Chester, the White Knight, from Ys: The Oath in Felghana
* "Livart", "Brillante", "Ericcil" and "Almarion"; Emelas swords from Ys VI.
* "Helios Sword"; Startling Odyssey Series. A sword passed down in the Solford family that is said to have the power of the Sun God.
* "Fuuenken", and "Fuuraiken" are used by Sol Badguy and Ky Kiske respectively in Guilty Gear
* "Ancient Sword" as it is called by Dormin used by Wander in
Shadow of the Colossus
Mana Sword" - from the " Seiken Densetsu" / " Secret of Mana" series
*Groove Adventure Rave/Ravemaster
** "The Ten Commandments". "Wielded by Haru Glory".
** "Decalogus". "Wielded by Gale Leagrove (aka King) and his son Rushia Leagroove".
* "Beam Sword" - from the "
Super Smash Bros. series"
* "Beam Katana" - Used by several characters in "No More Heroes".
In manga, anime and cartoons
* Nanatsusaya-Mitama-no-Tsurugi, a dark sword used by Organic Angel Alexiel and her human re-incarnation, Setsuna Mudou, in
Angel Sanctuaryseries. The sword has the spirit of Lord of Demons, Lucifer.
* Dragonslayer - "Berserk" (Wielded by Guts, a.k.a. "The Black Swordsman")
Zanpakutō" (soul cutting sword) - Bleach
Ichigo Kurosaki's Zangetsu
Renji Abarai's Zabimaru
Ikkaku Madarame's Hōzikimaru
Byakuya Kuchiki's Senbonzakura
Rukia Kuchiki's Sode no Shirayuki
Grimmjow Jeagerjaques' Pantera
Tōshirō Hitsugaya's Hyorinmaru
Rangiku Matsumoto's Haineko
**Izuru Kira's Wabisuke
**Sajin Komamura's Tenken
**Kaname Tōsen's Suzumushi
Sōsuke Aizen's Kyouka Suigetsu
* Z Sword -
Dragon Ball Z, contained Rou Dai Kaiôshin
Flame of Recca"
** Ensui - (Wielded by Tokiya Mikagami)
** Hyoumaen - (Wielded by Kai and Meguri Kyouza)
** Jisoutou - (Wielded by Jisho, and in the latter part of the manga series by Neon)
Tetsusaiga(鉄砕牙) (Wielded by InuYasha)
Tenseiga(天生牙) (Wielded by Sesshomaru)
BakusaigaWielded by Sesshomaru)
Tōkijin(闘鬼神) (Wielded by Sesshomaru)
So'unga(Wielded by Inu no Taishouand Setsuna no Takemaru)
** Banryū (Wielded by
** Naginata of Kenkon (aka Blade of Heaven and Earth)
** Ryusei - "Lupin III" manga (Wielded by
Goemon Ishikawa XIII)
** Zantetsuken - "Lupin III" anime (Wielded by
Goemon Ishikawa XIII)
The Power Sword(aka The Sword of Power) - wielded by He-Manin Masters of the Universe
Sword of Protection- wielded by She-Rain
** The Starsword - one half of the PowerStar, wielded by John Blackstar
** The Powersword - one half of the PowerStar, wielded by the Overlord
** The PowerStar - the combined weapon formed from the Starsword and the Powersword, wielded briefly by the Overlord
* Gerbera Straight - Powerful anti-beam katana wielded by the
MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Framein the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
* Wadō Ichimonji, Sandai Kitetsu, Yubashiri, Shuusui -
One Piece(Wielded by Roronoa Zoro)
* Ten Powers (a.k.a. Ten Commandments or Decaforce Sword) -
Rave Master(Wielded by Haru)
* Soul Crusher -
Record of Lodoss War(Wielded by Emperor Beld and then by Ashram)
* Soul Sword -
Devil Hunter Yohko(Wielded by the demon slaying devil hunter Yohko)
* Heaven's Saviour -
Record of Lodoss WarMore commonly known as the Holy Sword of Valis, and sometimes as Soulbreaker. (Wielded by King Fahn and then by Parn - seen in the both the OVA Anime and the TV Series)
* Sakabatō -
Rurouni Kenshin(Wielded by Himura Kenshin)
* Mugenjin -
Rurouni Kenshin(Wielded by Shishio Makoto)
* Kikuichimonji Norimune wielded by
* Space Sword - "
Sailor Moon" (Wielded by Sailor Uranus)
* Muramasa Tenrou - One of many Muramasa swords wielded by various characters in
Samurai Deeper Kyo. (Wielded by Demon Eyes Kyo)
* The Magical Ginzu Sword - wielded by Speedy Cerviche in
Samurai Pizza Cats
* Harusame (renamed the Sword of Light in the dub) -
Shaman King(Wielded by Yoh Asakuraand Amidamaru)
Grospoliner, sentient sword wielded by Katsumi Liqueur, previously belonged to her father Gigelf
** Medium, sentient evil sword briefly wielded by Katsumi Liqueur
** Jesso, semi-sentient sword wielded by Lum Cheng, previously wielded by Genvara Cheng
** Sword of Light (Hikari no Ken - 光の剣) - (Wielded by Gourry Gabriev. Also known as "Gorun Nova".)
** Howling Sword -(Wielded by Zengulus)
* Ouma -
Star Ocean EX(Wielded by Dias Flac)
* Kouma -
Star Ocean EX(Wielded by Claude C. Kenni)
** Guillotine Sword- A huge, monstrous blade used by Zabuza Momochi, one of the seven great swordsmen of the mist from Naruto. Aptly named for its ability to slice completely through anything. Length is over 10 feet.
** Samehada (鮫肌-shark skin) a sword wielded by Kisame Hoshigaki from Naruto. The sword can absorb amounts of chakra (spiritual energy) and only allows him to use it. If someone else holds it, spikes shoot out from the handle.
** 4th Hokages' Thunder Blade A sword that made a short appearance in the anime. The sword's blade appears to be made of lightning, yet the blade can be cracked. The sword was wielded by Aoi, who injured Sasuke with it, but Naruto and Sasuke destroyed the blade through combined efforts.
* Sword Tenchi (a.k.a. The Master Key) a laser sword which can only be wielded by a descendant of the Jurian Royal Family in the
* Sword of Omens - wielded by
Lion-oin Thundercats; holds the 'Eye-of-Thundera'
Star Saber- Weapon comprised of three Mini-Consin . It could cut through any armor or weapon except the Skyboom Shield
* The Blazing Sword (a.k.a. Juuouken/Beast King Sword) - Formed by the super robot
Voltron(a.k.a. Hyakujuu-Ou (King of All Beasts) Golion) in Voltron. The vehicle Voltron (Dairugger XV in the original Japanese version) also had this weapon, though the two swords were radically different in appearance, both were essentially invincible. When this weapon was summoned, the battle typically ended.
** Ronin Warriors sword of dala wielded by dala in episode 31 legend of the white armor made from the powers of the halo,torrent and hardrock armors
** Wildfire Swords - wielded by Ryo of Wildfire
** Soul Swords of Fervor - wielded by Ryo of Wildfire (Inferno Armor)
** The Sword of Darkness - wielded by The Dark Warlord of Corruption Cale(Anubis)
* The Sword of halo - wielded by Sage(Seiji) of Halo(Korin)
* Kanshō and Bakuya, twin Chinese swords wielded by the Servant Archer and
Emiya Shiroin Fate/Stay Night
Laevateinn, magic-focusing 'armed device' in the shape of a burning sword. Wielded by the Wolkenritter leader Signum in Nanoha A's
* Nietono no Shana - wielded by Shana in
Shakugan no Shana
* Morgif - Demon sword wielded by Yuuri Shibuya in
Kyou Kara Maou!
** Illumina Schneider - one of the 13 Sacred Weapons, a gold and silver zanbato that contains the Power of Light. Hayato used this sword to become Lumiere, The Angel of Light.
** Kage Schneider - one of the 13 Sacred Weapons, a black and purple zanbato that contains the Power of Darkness. Hikaru used this sword to become Chaos, the Angel of Darkness
** Ultima Schneider - this sword is the result of the combination of Kage Schneider and Illumina Schneider. The rightful user of this sword has the power to become Omega, The Ultimate Angel.
Hayatoused this sword to defeat one of the Virionic Five , Apocyllus Noir.
Dragonball ZTrunks has an enchanted sword.
Sword Tenchi( Tenchi Muyo), a mix of Katanaand lightsaber. in Tenchi Universe, Kagato Jurai has a dark Bastard Swordversion of the sword as well.
* Magoroku-Exterminate Sword(s) ("
Neon Genesis Evangelion")- two katana-style Progressive-type blade weapons wielded by the giant Evangelion Units. The smaller of the two swords could be considered a gunbladedue to its pistol-like grip and trigger, but this would be a contradictory term since the built-in purpose of all Progressive-type weapons is to vibrate in order to inflict damage on the target. Though they do not appear in the original 1995-96 TV series, they make their debut in the visual novel" Girlfriend of Steel", and are a common accessory for many of the models, figures and other video games featuring the EVA Units, particularly Unit-01. The term can be shortened to Magoroku-E Sword(s); though in the fan communities they are more-frequently referred to as just 'Progressive Swords'. Both swords are held together in a paired scabbardharness which is attached to the utility wings on the EVA Units before they are launched into combat.
*Holy Sword - a sword that was given to
Hotohoriin the anime and manga Fushigi Yūgiby Taiitsukun at the end of the first season, later used by Miaka, Tamahome and Tasuki.
** The Zen du dao, or Poison-Killing Sword, from " Ranma ½ ". Semi-sentient Chinese Dao with a flower at the tip. The flower itself has a human mouth instead of a
pistil, which warns the wielder of the proximity of poison or venom. Although it can cut through any poison, it will die afterwards.
** The Manganmaru, or Wishbringer, also from " Ranma ½ ". He who draws this
katanafrom the stone can ask for three wishes, which the sword will grant. It will only recognize the voice of its true owner.
*Jack's katana-following the trope of magic katanas. Samurai Jack possesses a magic blade that seems to effortlessly cut through solid objects from trees to robotic beetles and is the only thing that can diminish the body of the evil demon Aku.
*Sun Sword- Thundarr's weapon of choice, the "Sun Sword", which projects a blade-like beam of energy when activated, and can be deactivated so that it is only a hilt. The Sun Sword is magically linked to Thundarr and as such, only he can use it.
* Ragnarok - Sword wielded by Leroy Schwartz in Japanese/English version of "
Sword of the Dark Ones"
Nothung- Siegfried's sword in Richard Wagner's four part Der Ring des Nibelungen
List of magical weapons
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.