Rajab (Arabic: _ar. رجب) is the seventh month of the
Islamic calendar. The lexical definition of Rajaba is "to respect", which is where the word Rajab has been derived from.
This month was regarded as one of the sacred months in which battles were prohibited in the days of Muhammad
Dua of Rajab
The month is also a prelude to the month of Ramadan, because Ramadan follows it after the intervening month of Sha'ban. Therefore, when Muhammad sighted the moon of Rajab, he used to pray to Allah in the following words:
"O Allah, make the months of Rajab and Sha'ban blessed for us, and let us reach the month of Ramadan (i.e. prolong our life up to Ramadan, so that we may benefit from its merits and blessings)."
Islamic calendaris a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moonis sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Rajab migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Rajab are as follows (all future dates are estimates):
* 1426 AH – First day:
August 6, 2005; last day: September 4, 2005
* 1427 AH – First day:
July 27, 2006; last day: August 25, 2006
* 1428 AH – First day:
July 16, 2007; last day: August 14, 2007
* 1429 AH – First day:
July 5, 2008; last day: August 3, 2008
* On 01 Rajab, 5th Imam Muhammad al-Baqir was born.
* On 03 Rajab, is the death of 10th Imam Ali Naqi.
* On 04 Rajab, Sufi of Chishti Order celebrate the annivarsary of Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti
* On 05 Rajab, the 10th Imam Ali Naqi was born.
* On 07 Rajab, Shi'a Muslims observe the Festival of Imam Musa al Kazim in dedication of Musa al Kazim.
* On 09 Rajab, Ali Asghar, son of Imam Husayn was born.
* On 10 Rajab, the 9th Imam Muhammad al-Taqi was born.
* On 13 Rajab, celebrates their first Imam Ali's birthday with great zeal.
* On 18 Rajab, Abraham died. (In accordance with Shi'a Islam)
* On 22 Rajab, Koonday (table cloth dinner) is organized by Shi'a muslims and non Salafi Sunni Muslims. It is an occasion for Muslims to discuss Allah and the Holy Ahlul Bayt and to strengthen ties among the community with love and compassion. This tradition is more common among the Muslims of South Asia. It is reported to be a practice instructed by 6th Imam Jafar as-Sadiq.Also it is the Death Anniversary of Caliph Ameer Muawia.
* On 24 Rajab, victory to Mulims in the battle of Khyber.
* On 25 Rajab, is the death of 7th Imam Musa al Kazim.
* On 27 Rajab, Non Salafi Sunni celebrate the
Mi'raj, i.e. the day Muhammad is believed to have ascended to heaven. The Shia celebrate the Mabath of Muhammad, i.e. the day he was appointed as a Prophet.
* On 28 Rajab, Imam Husayn started his journey to Karbala from Medina.
* In the year 5 A.H Bilal ibn Harith is reported to have brought a congregation of four hundred men named Banu Muzeena in the presence of Muhammad. They all embraced Islam.
Battle of Tabouktook place in the year 9 A.H. This was the last battle which Muhammad participated in.
* The second Oath of Aqabah took place in Rajab, 12 A.H.
Jerusalemwas captured by Saladinin the month of Rajab, 583 A.H.
* On 28 Rajab 1342 A.H. (3 March 1924), the
Ottoman Caliphatewas abolished by Mustafa Kamal Ataturk.
* [http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vgent/islam/islam_tabcal.htm Islamic-Western Calendar Converter (Based on the Arithmetical or Tabular Calendar)]
* [http://www.inter-islam.org/Miscellaneous/months.htm#Rajab Monthly Profiles of the Islamic Calendar] ( [http://www.inter-islam.org/copyright.htm Copyright] )
* [http://www.deenislam.co.uk/dua/rajab_4.htm The Night Journey: The Spiritual Significance of Isra and Mi`raj ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.