- Corinto, Nicaragua
Corinto — Municipality — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Nicaragua Department Chinandega Department Population (2005) – Metro 17,000
Corinto is a town of 17,000 (1995 population) on the northwest Pacific coast of Nicaragua in the province of Chinandega. The municipality was founded in 1863 and was named in honour of the Greek city of Corinth.
United States Intervention
While supporting the Contras against the Socialist Sandinista government in the 1980s, U.S. Forces mined the Port of Corinto. On October 10, 1983, an attack destroyed 3.2 million US gallons (12,000 m3) of fuel. It is believed that this attack was directed by the CIA and carried out by U.S. Navy Seals.   
- ^ "Invasions in the "Neighborhood", Revolutionary Worker #1059, June 18, 2000". http://rwor.org/a/v22/1052-059/1059/invasion.htm. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- ^ "A CENTURY OF U.S. MILITARY INTERVENTIONS: From Wounded Knee to Iraq, Compiled by Zoltan Grossman". http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/interventions.html. Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- ^ "International Court of Justice, CASE CONCERNING THE MILITARY AND PARAMILITARY ACTIVITIES IN AND AGAINST NICARAGUA (NICARAGUA v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)". http://www.icj-cij.org/icjwww/icases/inus/inus_isummaries/inus_isummary_19860627.htm.
- ^ "The New York Times, OCT. 10 ASSAULT ON NICARAGUANS IS LAID TO C.I.A.". April 18, 1984. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10B16FF3E5C0C7B8DDDAD0894DC484D81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fM%2fMercenaries. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- ^ "NBC Evening News for Tuesday, Oct 11, 1983". http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/program.pl?ID=526828. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- ^ "Photograph showing the burning oil tanks, Un comando de la CIA y fuerzas especiales SEAL bombardean refineria en Corinto, Nicaragua, 1983.". http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirobinson/132697349/.
- http://www.portalcorinto.com (informational site in Spanish).
- Corinto Photos
- Map and aerial photos
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.