- Joseph Cari Jr.
Joseph A. Cari, Jr. (born
8 October 1952) is an American lawyer, businessman, private equity investor, and public policy expertfrom Chicago Illinois. Cari is a Senior Managing Director at Integration Capital & Trade, Inc.cite web | title=Senior Managing Director at Integration Capital & Trade, Inc. Reference | publisher=Integration Capital & Trade, Inc. | url=http://www.integrationcap.com/abt_ICT_Professionals.asp] , is on the Advisory Board of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C.cite web | title=Advisory Board of Wilson Center Reference | publisher=WilsonCenter.org | url=http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=about.council] . and the Terrorism and Counterterrorism Advisory Board of Human Rights Watch in New York New Yorkcite web | title=Terrorism and Counterterrorism Advisory Board of Human Rights Watch | publisher=HRW.org | url=http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/su2006/domers.html] .
Cari was indicted by the U.S. Attorney for extortion and reached a plea agreement with the U.S. in 2006 for a case involving state officials. He awaits sentencing.
Previously, Cari held the position of Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Wilson Center (appointed by President William Jefferson Clinton in 1995) cite web | title=Clinton Appointment to Wilson Center Board | publisher=ClintonFoundation.org | url=http://www.clintonfoundation.org/legacy/010599-president-names-two-to-international-center-for-scholars-board.htm] . In 2001, Joe Cari Jr. was awarded a fellowship at the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University cite web | title=JFK School of Government Reference | publisher=Harvard.edu | url=http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/press/backup/iop_fellows_fall2001.htm ] .
Family and education
Italian American, was born and raised in Chicago Illinois, where he attended Brother Rice Preparatory High School. He is the son of Dr. Joseph and Elaine Cari.
Joseph Cari Sr. was a prominent physician and surgeon in Chicago who headed the Dept of Family Medicine at Mercy Hospital Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Cari was a teacher and writer cite web | title=Dr. Cari Writer Reference | publisher=Amazon.com | url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006WIRXO/] who served on the faculty of
University of Illinois at ChicagoMedical School, and as the chief medical officer for the Chicago Fire Department. Elaine Cari served as a member of the Women’s Auxiliary of the Mercy Hospital & Medical Center.
In 1974, Joe A. Cari Jr. graduated cum laude from the
University of Notre Damewith a B.A. degree in Sociology, and in 1978 earned a J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law Schoolcite web | title=Notre Dame Law Degree Reference | publisher=ND.edu | url=http://law.nd.edu/alumni/advisory.html ] . While as an undergraduate at Notre Dame, Joe was a member of the Varsity baseball team in 1971 cite web | title=Varsity Baseball Reference | publisher=ND.edu | url=http://archives.nd.edu/findaids/ead/index/PHR068.htm ] , and was president of Fisher Hall as a Senior. Mr. Cari was married to Rita Bahr Cari, a corporate lawyer who specialized in mergers and acquisitions. Mrs. Cari died of cancer at the age of 44 in 2002 cite web | title=Rita Bahr Cari Reference | publisher=Cook County Clerk, Chicago Illinois | url=http://www.cookctyclerk.com/html/040702resdoc.html ] .
* Legislative Assistant, US Congressman Martin Russo (D-Illinois), 1974 - 1975 cite web | title=Legislative Assistant, US Congressman Martin Russo Reference | publisher=Opensecrets.org | url=http://www.opensecrets.org/revolving/rev_summary.asp?id=13097 ] .
* Associate, Lawfirm of Hinshaw & Culbertson, 1978-1983.
* Partner, Member of Executive Committee, Ungaretti & Harris, 1984 – 2005 cite web | title=Ungaretti & Harris Reference | publisher=ClintonFoundation.org | url=http://www.clintonfoundation.org/legacy/010599-president-names-two-to-international-center-for-scholars-board.htm ] .
* Managing Director, HealthPoint Capital Partners (private equity firm), 2003 – 2005.
* Executive Committee Chair, Regulatory & Public Policy Group, Ungaretti & Harris Law Firm.
* Private investor and consultant, 2005 – 2006.
* Senior Managing Director, Integration Capital & Trade, Inc., Oct. 2006 – Present cite web | title=Integration Capital & Trade, Inc. Reference | publisher=Integration Capital & Trade, Inc. | url=http://www.integrationcap.com/abt_ICT_Professionals.asp ] .
* Special Assistant, State’s Attorney, Cook County Illinois, 1982 – 1988.
* Member, Advisory Board, United States Senate Judiciary Committee, 1988 – 1992.
* Special Counsel, US Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Narcotics, 1987. [http://www.clintonfoundation.org/legacy/010599-president-names-two-to-international-center-for-scholars-board.htm]
* Member, Board of Directors, Chicago Public Library, 1989 – 2000 cite web | title=Chicago Public Library Board of Directors Reference | publisher=ClintonFoundation.org | url=http://www.clintonfoundation.org/legacy/010599-president-names-two-to-international-center-for-scholars-board.htm ] .
* Chairman of Advisory Board, Kroc Institute of Peace, Univ of Notre Dame, 2002.
* Member, Advisory Board, Univ. of Notre Dame School of Law, 2003 – 2005 cite web | title=Notre Dame School of Law Advisory Board Reference | publisher=University of Notre Dame | url=http://law.nd.edu/alumni/advisory.htmlhttp://law.nd.edu/alumni/advisory.ht ] .
* Instructor, St. Anne’s Grammar School, Chicago Il., 2006 – 2007.
* Illinois General Counsel, Carter for President, 1980.
* Illinois General Counsel, Mondale for President, 1984.
* Political Advisor, Biden for President, 1987.
* Finance Committee, Kerrey (D-Neb.) for President, 1991 – 1992.
*Democratic National Committee:
**Counsel to Rules Committee, 1980.
**National Finance Chairman, 1993 – 1994.
* Chairman, Democratic National Finance Committee, Gore for President, 2000 cite web | title=Democratic National Finance Committee Chairman Reference | publisher=C-Span | url=http://www.c-span.org/campaign2000/dem_schedule2.asp] .
* Member, Executive Committee of the Democratic National Committee, 2000.
* Chairman, US Senate Democratic Campaign Committee, Finance Chair 1995.
* Rita Bahr Cari Memorial Fund, Center for Civil and Human Rights, University of Notre Dame cite web | title=Rita Bahr Memorial Fund Philanthropy Reference | publisher=University of Notre Dame | url=http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:ECXC2ShIz2gJ:law.nd.edu/alumni/ndlawyer/spring04/spring04.pdf+joseph+cari+fisher+hall+president+notre+dame&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us] .
US Justice Department investigation and plea agreement
In September 2005, after fully cooperating with the US Justice Dept., Mr. Cari entered into an agreement with the Justice Dept, and entered a plea in the Federal District Court in Chicago cite web | title=US Justice Department Plea Agreement Reference | publisher=Capitolfax.com | url=http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:PZi3K9tN3lQJ:www.capitolfax.com/PleaCariFinalSept151.pdf+joseph+cari&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us] .
* [http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephcari Professional Profile] at LinkedIn.com.
* [http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/07/03/10136386.html Joseph Cari Jr. on Dubai Economic Development] at Gulfnews.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.