- The Baptism of Jesus Christ - A documentary film (2007)
In 2007, a
documentary filmwas made about the baptism of Jesus, locating the event on the east side of the Jordan river.
synoptic gospels, Jesusis baptised by John the Baptist. This event is the basis of the Christian rite of baptism (see also : "These things took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing". This site was visited by Pope John Paul IIin March 2000.
The location appears on the
Map of Madabaas Aenonor Sapsaphas("Place of the Willows").
Filmmakers' description of documentary
The Baptism of Jesus Christ - Uncovering Bethany beyond the Jordan
"A spiritual journey through an archaeological detective story"
"An archaeological-detective story uncovering the pieces of the ancient mystery of where
Christwas baptized. Christians around the world know Bethlehemwhere Jesus was born, and Jerusalemwhere Jesus died and was resurrected, but no one knows the location of his baptism. This being one of the three holiest places of Christianity.
Where was he baptized? Why was the site lost? How was it discovered and what was found there? The remarkable story of how the actual location of Jesus’ baptism had disappeared from human memory, lost in time for almost 1000 years; And the fascinating story of its rediscovery and the ongoing excavations taking place there. Only 5% of the area has been dug until today. Who knows what else lies beneath this place and what it could reveal about Jesus Christ and the birth of Christianity.
The 47 minute documentary is concerned with the recent discovery of the baptism site of Jesus Christ in an area known as ‘Wadi al-Kharrar’ on the east bank of the
river Jordan, the “ Bethany Beyond the Jordan” of the Gospels. A complex of unique churches, baptismal pools and monasteries are amongst the important discoveries uncovered so far. The area, since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, was a military zone and heavily mined making it impossible of access. However in 1994 after Jordanand Israel signed a peace treaty, archaeologists begun their excavations..." (from the filmmakers: "Ten Thousand Films")
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/Baptism-of-Christ-film.html Official film website: The Baptism of Christ - Uncovering Bethany beyond the Jordan - 53 min Documentary film]
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/ Official website of filmmakers: Ten Thousand Films (10,000 Films)]
* [http://www.baptismsite.com/ Official website of the "Royal Commission for the Baptism site of Jesus Christ", Jordan]
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/Jesus_baptism_site.html "Film details finding of Jesus' baptism site" (Peter Smith, Courier Journal, March 23, 2008)]
* [http://18.104.22.168/www1/ofm/fai/FAIbapt.html 'The sanctuary of Bethany beyond the Jordan where John the Baptist baptised' by Michele Piccirillo]
* [http://www.jordanembassyus.org/03102000002.htm Pope to visit Mt. Nebo, Baptism Site during Jordan trip - Jordan Times]
* [http://www.baptiststandard.com/2000/3_8/pages/site.html 'Archaeological evidence shifting views on site of Jesus' baptism' - The Baptist Standard]
* [http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/ip_template.asp?upid=6855&pf=1 'Site of Jesus’ baptism believed east of Jordan' - The Alabama Baptist]
* [http://bjnewlife.org/english/bstudy/terms_07.php The New Life Mission's explanation of baptism]
* [http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1556/ UNESCO: The Baptismal Site (Bethany beyond the Jordan)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.