- 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery
3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery is a
regimentof the Royal Horse Artilleryin the British Army. They are currently based in Caen Barracks, Hohne, Germany. They will soon return to the UK to be based in Alanbrooke Barracks, Topcliffe, North Yorkshire
It currently serves in the armoured
field artilleryrole, and is equipped with the AS-90 self-propelled gun.
*J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery
*M (Headquarters) Battery
*N Battery (The Eagle Troop)
The Batteries within 3RHA have existed from the
Napoleonic Wars. However, the Regiment was only formed in 1938 from 3rd Brigade Royal Horse Artillery. The regiment consisted of D / J / M Batteries.
World War Two
* 1939 - The Regiment supported the
7th Armoured Divisionotherwise known as the "Desert Rats", during the Western Desert Campaign. During the final attempt to lift the Siege of Tobruk, in an operation known as Operation Crusader, 2Lt Ward was awarded the Victoria Crossfor his bravery during an attack by 60 German Tanks. 3 RHA commemorate this by wearing a red backing to the cypher.
* 1943 - The Regiment continued to support 7th Armoured Division during the fighting in Italy.
* 1944 - The Regiment continued to support 7th Armoured Division, as a follow up formation, following the
* 1945 - The Regiment led the Allied Victory parade in Berlin, and fired the Victory Salute.
After WW2 the Regiment served in
UK, West Germany, Aden, Egypt, Kenya, Hong Kongand Cyprus.
* 1958 - C Battery joined the Regiment, and M Battery was placed in Suspended Animation.
* 1975 - M Battery was revived.
* 1976 - The Regiment completed another tour of Northern Ireland, as part of
* 1978 - The Regiment was placed in suspended animation. The Batteries became independent
* 1984 - The Regiment was reformed in
Paderborn, Germany. M Battery was once again placed in Suspended Animation.
The Regiment has served in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia.
* 1993 - N Battery (The Eagle Troop) joined the Regiment, and M Battery was amalgamated with Headquarters Battery to form M Headquarters Battery.
* 1999 - The regiment deployed with
* [http://www.army.mod.uk/3rha/ 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery] , army.mod.uk
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.