- Ratan Thiyam
Ratan Thiyam is an Indian playwright and theatre director, and the winner of
Sangeet Natak Akademi Awardin 1987. Also once known as Thiyam Nemai, Ratan Thiyam is known for writing and staging plays that use ancient Indian theater traditions and forms in a contemporary context. [ [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Thiyam Nemai] ] He is also the founder-director of 'Chorus Repertory Theatre', Imphal, Manipur.
Ratan Thiyam graduated from
National School of Drama, New Delhi in 1974, [ [http://www.nsd.gov.in/Annual_Report_2005-06.pdf NSD Graduates] ] and went on to set up a theatre group called Chorus Repertory Theatre [ [http://www.chorusimphal.com/c/a.php chorusimphal] ] in Imphal, Manipur. He was also briefly the director of National School of Drama(NSD), New Delhi (1987-88).
The Plays of Ratan Thiyam
His works profess a deep concern for social welfare and spiritual yearnings in the midst of the political chaos in the modern world.
His plays infuse rationalised and multifaceted analysis of myriad perspectives. Using ingenius theatrical stagecraft, his plays are tinged with literary beauty and meaning. Most of Ratan Thiyam’s plays are thematically Indianised and are profound plays with universal appeal.
His approach to theatre has been shaped by years of study under the tutelage of several major exponents of the traditional Manipuri performing arts.
His major plays include Ritusamharam: The work seeks solace and sanity amidst chaos and violence of today's world. [ [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Profile at manipuronline] ]
List of Plays
* Uttarpriyadarshi (The Final Beatitude) [ [http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/dec00/rr_rev_crt_1000.htm Uttarpriyadarshi at Ballet.co] ]
* Chinglon Mapan Tampak Ama (Nine Hills One Valley) [ [http://www.asiasociety.org/arts/chorus/contextDissent.htm Asia society] ]
* Ritusamharam [ [http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/01/30/stories/2005013000450500.htm The Hindu, 30 January, 2005] ]
* Andha Yug (The Blind Age) [ [http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resources/public_affairs/inside_fordham/inside_fordham_archi/november_2004/news/renowned_playwright__18831.asp Ratan Thiyam at Fordham University] ]
* Wahoudok (Prologue) [ [theater utsav 2008, national school of drama, new delhi , india.] ]
* 1984: Indo-Greek Friendship Award, 1984 (Greece)
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
* 1987: Fringe Firsts Award, from Edinburgh International Theatre Festival [http://www.chorusimphal.com/c/a.php]
* 1990: Diploma of Cervantino International Theatre Festival, (Mexico)
Padma Shri[ [http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jul/20mani.htm which he returned in July, 2001] ]
* [http://www.chorusimphal.com Chorus Repertory Theatre Official website]
* [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Profile at Manipur Online]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.