- USS Topeka (SSN-754)
USS "Topeka" (SSN-754), a "Los Angeles"-class submarine, was the third ship of the
United States Navyto be named for Topeka, Kansas. The contract to build her was awarded to the Electric BoatDivision of General DynamicsCorporation in Groton, Connecticuton 28 November 1983and her keel was laid down on 13 May 1986. She was launched on 23 January 1988sponsored by Elizabeth Doleand commissioned on 21 October 1989, with Commander Timothy Reichert in command [ [http://dole.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Speeches.Detail&Speech_id=28&Month=5&Year=2004 "Elizabeth Dole refers to sponsoring USS Topeka in a speech."] ] .
Commanders of the USS Topeka (SSN-754)
The following officers are or have been commanders of the USS Topeka
* CDR Timothy Reichert
* CDR Wilbur O. Cooke
* CDR Ed "Fast Eddie" Jablonski
* CDR Dennis Haines (1994-1996)
* CDR Anthony Cortese (1996-1998)
* CDR Mark D Patton (1998-2000)
* CDR John J. Litherland (2000-2003)
* CDR Richard A. Correll (2003-2005)
* CDR Dixon K. Hicks (2005-2007)
* CDR Daryl Caudle (interim, 2007)
* CDR Marc A. Stern (2007-present)
During New Years Eve 2000 the USS Topeka straddled the international dateline, thus was famously "in two millenniums at once". [ [http://www.csp.navy.mil/topeka/story.htm "U.S. NAVY SUBMARINE STRADDLES HISTORY"] ]
In October 2002, after completing a Modernization Period in
Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, "Topeka" shifted homeport to San Diego, California, from Pearl Harbor.
COMSUBRON 11 Battle "E" - 1993In August 2004, "Topeka" returned to San Diego after six months of operations with the Seventh Fleet, including three missions significant to national security that earned the boat the
Navy Expeditionary Medaland Navy Unit Commendation Medal. The ship and crew earned the Battle Efficiency "E" Award for 2004, 2005 and 2007.
* "Topeka" is featured in the 1992 mini series "".
* In the opening episode of the science fiction television series "Surface", "Topeka" was found adrift with her crew having mysteriously disappeared.
* The boat has also been featured in the naval sim Dangerous Waters as well as others in its class along with the Seawolf class SSN
* "Topeka" was also featured in the 17 May 2006 episode of the FOX Television series '24' as the "Natalia K524".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.