- Square mile
The square mile (abbreviated as sq mi and sometimes as mi2) is an imperial and US unit of measure for an area equal to the area of a square of one statute mile. It should not be confused with miles square, which refers to the number of miles on each side squared. For instance, 20 miles square (20 × 20 miles) is equal to 400 square miles.
One square mile is equivalent to:
- 4,014,489,600 square inches
- 27,878,400 square feet
- 3,097,600 square yards
- 640 acres
- 258.9988110336 hectares
- 2560 roods
- 25,899,881,103.36 square centimetres
- 2,589,988.110336 square metres
- 2.589988110336 square kilometres
- ^ Davies, Charles (1872). Mathematical dictionary and cyclopedia of mathematical science. Original from Harvard University: A.S. Barnes and co. p. 582. http://books.google.com/books?id=DoUMAAAAYAAJ.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.