- Square mile
For other uses, see Square mile (disambiguation).
The square mile (abbreviated as sq mi and sometimes as mi2) is an imperial and US unit of measure for an area equal to the area of a square of one statute mile. It should not be confused with miles square, which refers to the number of miles on each side squared. For instance, 20 miles square (20 × 20 miles) is equal to 400 square miles.
One square mile is equivalent to:
- 4,014,489,600 square inches
- 27,878,400 square feet
- 3,097,600 square yards
- 640 acres
- 258.9988110336 hectares
- 2560 roods
- 25,899,881,103.36 square centimetres
- 2,589,988.110336 square metres
- 2.589988110336 square kilometres
- ^ Davies, Charles (1872). Mathematical dictionary and cyclopedia of mathematical science. Original from Harvard University: A.S. Barnes and co. p. 582. http://books.google.com/books?id=DoUMAAAAYAAJ.
Formula Conversion, Square miles to numerous area units with algebraic steps and unit cancellation shownCategories:
- Units of area
- Customary units in the United States
- Imperial units
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.