- University of Pune
name = University of Pune
native_name = पुणे विद्यपीठ
motto = "Yah Kriyaawaan Sa Panditaha". (Learned is one who is ceaselessly active.)
February 10, 1949
type = Public
vice_chancellor = Dr. N. Jadhav
campus = Urban
affiliations = UGC
website = [http://www.unipune.ernet.in www.unipune.ernet.in]
The University of Pune (formerly the University of Poona), located in northwestern
Pune, is one of India's premier universites. It was established on February 10, 1949. Spread over a comprehensive 400 acre(1.6 km²) campus, the university is home to 46 academic departments.
The University of Pune was established under the
Poona University Act, passed by the Bombay legislatureon February 10, 1948. In the same year, Dr. M.R. Jayakar assumed office as the first vice chancellor of the university. Shri B.G. Kher, Chief Ministerand Education Minister of the government of Bombay, helped ensure the university received a large allocation of land for their campus. In early 1950, the university was allocated over 411 acres (1.7 km²). It is also known as the 'Oxford Of The East'.
Initially the university had a jurisdiction extending over 12 districts of western
Maharashtra. However, with the establishment of Shivaji Universityin Kolhapurin 1964, the jurisdiction of the university was restricted to 5 districts, namely Pune, Ahmednagar, Nasik, Dhuleand Jalgaon. Out of these, two districts -- Dhule and Jalgaon -- are attached to the North Maharashtra Universityestablished in August 1990.
In 1949, there were only 18 colleges affiliated to the university (includes famed colleges such as the
Fergusson College), with an enrollment of over 8000 students. Thereafter, the number of colleges increased, and in 2004, the university had 46 graduate departments, 269 affiliated colleges and 118 recognized research institutions, with an enrollment of 170,000 students for both the undergraduate and graduate courses in different faculties. [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/doc/history.html]
70 research institutions have been recognized by the University of Pune for research. These include institutions of national importance like the
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics(IUCAA), National Chemical Laboratory(NCL), National Centre For Cell Science(NCCS), National Institute of Virology(NIV), Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics(GIPE), Documentation Research and Training Centre(DRTC) of the Indian Statistical Institute(ISI) among others.
Other research organisations which associated with the University of Pune are:
National Centre for Radio Astrophysics(runs the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope)
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing(home to the PARAMrange of supercomputers)
Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology(IBB)
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/geography Department of Geography (DOG)] - The Department of Geography was first established in the University of Pune in 1950. Every year the department admits students for it M.A/MSc., M.Phil and Ph.D courses. The Department also offers students from interdisiplinary backgrounds, a course in Remote Sensing and Geospatial Information Systems (GIS and RS).
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/ibb/ Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology (IBB)] -
Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology(IBB) is an autonomous institute with an affiliation to the University of Pune. It was established with a view to promote research and development activities in bioinformatics and biotechnology, with a focus on creation of high quality research environment and human resources. IBB is situated on the campus of University of Pune, India.
* [http://chem.unipune.ernet.in Department of Chemistry (DOC)] - The Department of Chemistry is one of the earliest departments established by the University of Pune. It has received the "CAS" status (Centre for Advanced Studies in Chemistry).
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/microbiology/ Department of Microbiology (DOM)] - This department is an autonomous department of University and offers courses in Microbiology such as Immunology, Medical Microbiology, Industial Microbiology and Biochemistry.
* [http://pumba.unipune.ernet.in Department of Management Sciences (PUMBA)] - A business school run by the university.
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/biotech/home.html Department of Biotechnology] - In 1985, National Board of Biotechnology selected University of Pune as one of its five centres for imparting training in M.Sc. Biotechnology.
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/env/ Department of Environmental Science] - The Department of Environmental Science was first established as an interdisciplinary school of the University of Pune in1978. As a first step, Environmental Science was introduced as an optional course in all the science departments. In view of its popularity, a one-year course, B.Sc. (Applied) was started in 1986, which was subsequently converted into a two-year full time M. Sc. course.
* [http://cs.unipune.ernet.in Computer Science Department (PUCSD)]
* [http://physics.unipune.ernet.in Department of Physics]
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/doss/ Atmospheric and Space Sciences]
* [http://electronics.unipune.ernet.in Department of Electronic Science]
* [http://cms.unipune.ernet.in Centre for Modeling and Simulation (CMS)]
* [http://issc.unipune.ernet.in Interdisciplinary school of scientific computing (ISSC)]
* [http://www.vrittaonline.com/ Department of Communication and Journalism (DoCJ)]
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/zoology/ Department of zoology]
*The location of the University has historical significance. Some incidents of the
Battle of Khadkitook place where the present day University of Pune is located. The present day Main Building was built in 1864 and was known as the Governors House. This building is connected with the well-known Rand murder case of Poona in 1897.
* [http://www.unipune.ernet.in/ University of Pune]
* [http://www.pumba-online.com/ PUMBA Online]
* [http://www.puneprime.com/Education/Pune_University.htm The University of Pune (formerly the University of Poona)] - PUNEPRIME.com
* [http://docjunipune.blogspot.com/ DoCJ Blog]
* [http://studentsbio.blogspot.com/ DoCJ Students' Blog]
* [http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Pune_University_Migration_certificate Migration Certificate]
* [http://www.discoverpune.com DiscoverPune.com]
* [http://local.currentsamachar.com/pune.php Pune University News]
* [http://www.vrittaonline.com/ Vrittaonline]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.