- Vial of Life
The Vial of Life or Vial of L.I.F.E. (Lifesaving Information For Emergencies) is a program which allows individuals to provide medical information in advance that can be used by emergency personnel in the case of an emergency. Vial of Life programs are usually sponsored and promoted by
Senior citizen's organizations, local fire departments, or hospitals, although it may be utilized by anyone. The materials required are usually available for free and some may be downloaded and produced by the individual.
The program consists of a vial (empty pill bottle or other container), labeled with a Vial of Life sticker, inside which is placed a medical form which has been filled out stating the health status of the individual and current medications being taken. The vial is placed in the refrigerator, usually recommended to be on the top shelf of the door, because it has been shown that the refrigerator's contents are preserved in the event of a fire. Stickers are placed in the front window of the home so that responding emergency personnel will know to look for the Vial.
Vial of Life programs
* [http://www.vialoflife.com/vial_affiliates.html American Senior Safety Agency]
* [http://www.americanmedicalalarms.com/vialoflife.htm American Medical Alarms]
* [http://www.mypreciouskid.com/vial.html My Precious Kid]
* [http://www.sccfd.org/pub_ed/vial_of_life.html Santa Clara County Fire Department]
* [http://www.ci.san-leandro.ca.us/firedeptvial.html Alameda County Fire Department]
* [http://hsc.unm.edu/pharmacy/poison/z%20Pages/Vial%20of%20Life.shtml New Mexico Poison Center]
* [http://www.ci.daytona-beach.fl.us/fire/vial_of_life.htm Daytona Beach Fire Department]
* [http://www.ci.gilroy.ca.us/fire/vial_of_life.html City of Gilroy Fire Department]
* [http://www.sjfd.org/vial.htm San Jose Fire Department]
* [http://www.thememorialhospital.com/tmhc.nsf/View/VialofLife The Memorial Hospital, Craig, CO]
* [http://sutterroseville.org/patients/vial_of_life.html Sutter Roseville Medical Center]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.