- Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o!
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!
Logo from the anime series
護くんに女神の祝福を! Genre Romantic comedy Light novel Written by Hiroki Iwata Illustrated by Toshiyuki Satō Demographic Male Imprint Dengeki Bunko Magazine Dengeki hp Published (single volume) Volumes 13 TV anime Directed by Itsuro Kawasaki Studio ZEXCS Network WOWOW Original run October 6, 2006 – March 30, 2007 Episodes 24
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! (護くんに女神の祝福を!, lit. To Mamoru-kun, the blessings of the goddess!), also known as Venus to Mamoru, is a Japanese light novel series written by Hiroki Iwata and illustrated by Toshiyuki Satō following Mamoru Yoshimura and his far-from-normal high school life with girlfriend Ayako Takasu, who possess magical powers called "Beatrice".
The series was first published on September 25, 2003 by MediaWorks and is still currently running in Japan. Later, the series was adapted into an anime series, which broadcast on WOWOW on October 6, 2006. It contained 24 episodes, with the last airing on March 30, 2007.
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! centers around Mamoru Yoshimura, a high school student who gets accepted into a prestigious school for students endowed with the power of Beatrice due to his high intellect. Right after first entering the school on his first day, he meets the mysterious Ayako Takasu, also known as the Beatrice's Angel of Death, who is a pretty and popular female student whose powers exceed most others. Moments later, Ayako, who has never been known to show a smile, suddenly confesses her strong feelings for Mamoru, despite having never met him before. That same day, he is brought in as a member of the student council as Ayako's side as he becomes involved with the dangers and mysteries related to the power of Beatrice.
Student council members
- Mamoru Yoshimura (吉村護 Yoshimura Mamoru ) , Seiyū - Akiko Kimura
- Mamoru is very short and has a good smile. He is a 16 year old high school student, who just transferred to a new and prestigious school due to his high intellect and high aptitude for Beatrice, which was revealed to be seventh highest in the history of the school. On his first day at school, he not only becomes a member of the student council, but also the boyfriend of fellow student council member, Ayako Takasu, who confessed her love for him earlier that day. He often comes off as a soft spoken character who is unsure of himself as to why Ayako would like him. He later learns that he too has the power to use Beatrice. Mamoru can't often say no to the student council and becomes like a dog to them.
- Ayako Takasu (鷹栖絢子 Takasu Ayako ) , Seiyū - Mikako Takahashi
- Ayako is a very strong high school girl and girlfriend to Mamoru. She is very well-endowed when it comes to the power of Beatrice, and is considered one of the most powerful Beatrice users in the world, which is why she is sometimes targeted by assassins. Usually, Ayako is a very serious girl, who has been known to never smile around others, however, whenever around Mamoru, she can't help but blush and smile a bit, as she becomes much more shy, and stutters often as well. Ayako lives with a caretaker alone in her grandfather's mansion.
- Maya Sudō (周藤摩耶 Sudō Maya ) , Seiyū - Daisuke Ono
- Maya is the student council president, who has a strong character, which complements his status. He often does things that irritate Ayako to the point of earning a heavy punch from her. While browsing through Maya's picture album, Mamoru realizes that all of Maya's ex-girlfriends have long hair, and Mamoru seems to realize that Maya has a crush on Ayako, who also has long hair, but later forgets this.
- Shione Sudō (周藤汐音 Sudō Shione ) , Seiyū - Mamiko Noto
- Shione is the vice-president of the student council, and Maya's younger sister. She often has a very extravagant hairstyle, which changes everyday, that even her own brother calls "complicated". Everyone became so used to her wacky hairstyles that they could not recognize her when she had her hair down, though Maya was overjoyed to realize that he had such a cute little sister.
- Mitsuki Fujita (藤田美月 Fujita Mitsuki ) , Seiyū - Saeko Chiba
- Mitsuki is the public relations officer of the student council. She likes to take pictures all the time, often taking pictures of Ayako, then selling them for outrageous prices in order to make a profit. Beside pictures of Ayako, Mitsuki is often seen taking pictures of the student council after they are hurt by Ayako.
- Anna Hase (長谷杏奈 Hase Anna ) , Seiyū - Yuka Inokuchi
- Anna is the secretary of the student council. She seems to be the most "normal" of all the student council officers.
- Yōko Kirishima (桐島瑤子 Kirishima Yōko ) , Seiyū - Fuyuka Oura
- Yōko is the treasurer of the student council. She is very level-headed and confident, and is the tallest among the girls.
- Yūka Maruyama (丸山友香 Maruyama Yūka ) , Seiyū - Kimiko Koyama
- Yūka is the science officer of the student council. She is very shy and soft spoken, and owns a pet dog named Aru.
- Kōsuke Yagi (八木浩介 Yagi Kōsuke ) , Seiyū - Shintarou Oohata
- Kōsuke is the executive committee member of the student council. He is very tall and muscular, well versed in using weapons, and has a major quirk of speaking a lot of English (he even sings a tune in English in one episode).
- Itsumi Yoshimura (逸美吉村? Yoshimura Itsumi ) , Seiyū - Ai Shimizu
- She's Mamoru younger sister that, apparently, has a big "Brother Complex", although it seems to over come it through the series. She's also the one that been cooking since little in the house because their mother isn't good at it.
- Emelenzia Beatrix Rudiger (エメレンツェア·ベアトリクス·リューディガー Emerentsea Beatorikusu Ryūdigā ) , Seiyū - Asami Sanada
- Emelenzia is a Beatrice user, and a genius who entered into a university at the age of twelve. She was an orphan until the Rudiger family acknowledged her potential. She now aims to be strong enough to support her older brother, Johan, whom she has the utmost respect for. Emelenzia also admires Ayako since she was able to stand toe-to-toe with her brother in battle. She has a crush on Mamoru and tries to seduce him after she transfers, though later in the anime her feelings grow much stronger for Mamoru as she even confessed to Mamoru while Ayako stands to witness.
- Johan Deiter Rudiger (ヨハン·ディエター·リューディガー Yohan Dietā Ryūdigā ) , Seiyū - Takehito Koyasu
- A German university student, who is called the Prussian Devil. He is considered to be one of the most powerful Beatrice users in the world; despite his battle with Ayako resulting in a draw, Ayako was the one who ended up being gravely injured, while Johan barely had a scratch on him. Although, because Ayako was capable of fighting against him on equal footing, he aims to have Ayako as his bride, as he considers no one else worthy of her, especially Mamoru. Besides his outstanding Beatrice control, Johan is also very intelligent, and is on an expedition with Ayako's uncle researching the origins of Beatrice.
- Tsuneo Abiko (我孫子恒夫 Abiko Tsuneo ) , Seiyū - Taku Kimura
- Tsuneo is a student in Mamoru's school who is Ayako's stalker enthusiast. He tends to be a very loud and imposing person, who would stop at nothing to be close to Ayako, whom he holds in very high regard.
The Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! light novels written by Hiroki Iwata and illustrated by Toshiyuki Satō were first published on September 25, 2003, by MediaWorks. Currently, thirteen volumes have been released.
The Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! anime series first aired in Japan on October 6, 2006 and last aired on March 30, 2007. It had a total of 24 episodes.
# Title Original air date 01 "Beatrice In Love"
"Koisuru Biatorisu" (恋するビアトリス)
October 6, 2006 Mamoru Yoshimura has just transferred to a new school where students are able to control the mysterious magical power called Beatrice. On his first day, he meets Ayako Takasu, who promptly confesses her love for him. Everyone is interested in Mamoru-kun because of Ayako-san asks him out when he just gets to school on his first day. Mamoru-kun is then introduced to the Student Council members. 02 "Astral Fire Recovery Plan"
"Asutoraru Faia Dakkan Sakusen" (アストラル·ファイア奪還作戦)
October 13, 2006 With the Astral Fire weapon stolen, it's up to Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun to retrieve it. Luckily, this also gives Ayako-san some alone time with Mamoru-kun on their first date together. Mamoru-kun asks Ayako-san out before Ayako-san can say forget about me, and she is in great surprise of what he says. 03 "Hide-and-Seek Of Youth"
"Seishun no Kakurenbo" (青春のかくれんぼ)
October 20, 2006 Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun get to school the next day only to have problems like a banner announcing them going out and photos of them but on top of that a recording of the incident of the confessions. The Student Council decides to throw a welcome party for Mamoru-kun at Ayako-san's house, where he learns a little more about her past. 04 "Only My Prince"
"Watashi Dake no Ōjisama" (私だけの王子様)
October 27, 2006 Mamoru-kun is asked to play the Prince in the play 'Sleeping Beauty' during the school festival; Ayako-san, of course, is asked to play the Princess! After being asked to be the Princess of Sleeping Beauty she, Ayako-san, faints from a cold or so we think. 05 "Intertwined Hearts"
"Kokoro o Kasanete" (こころを重ねて)
November 3, 2006 Ayako-san falls ill just the day before the school festival. It's discovered that the Beatrice power within her is reacting to her puberty, and will take 3 days to normalize, which would force her not to participate in the play. Mamoru-kun offers to use his Beatrice powers to help, though there is a major risk involved. Will they succeed in their plan? 06 "Ice Girl"
"Kōri no Shōjo" (氷の少女)
November 10, 2006 Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun spend less and less time together as the student council prepare for a skiing trip. Little do they know they are being followed by the PreuBen's Demon's sister, Emelenzia Beatrix Rudiger! When Ayako-san asks Mamoru-kun to come outside so they can talk, he does not know what she wants to talk about so he goes back to his room to get his present and comes to find out that his gift for Ayako-san was broken and he receives a hand-knitted sweater from her. What is he going to do since his gift is broken and he has just received a gift from Ayako-san? 07 "I Dedicate to You..."
"Anata ni Sasageru..." (あなたに捧げる...)
November 17, 2006 After trapping the student council in an avalanche, Emelenzia-san challenges Ayako-san to a duel. Stating she has been sent by her brother to find out how weak Ayako-san has become since falling in love. Ayako-san gets knocked unconscious and Mamoru-kun runs over to Ayako-san and blames himself for her not being able to fight with all she had. Then Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun's Beatrice mix again and this time Ayako-san feels Mamoru-kun's feelings of trust in her and all his other feelings towards her. Mamoru-kun's gift is fixed by what Emelenzia-san thinks to be Mamoru-kun's Beatrice. 08 "Steam Panic!"
"Yukemuri Panikku!" (湯煙パニック!)
November 24, 2006 On the way back from their ski trip, the student council decides the stop at a hot spring. However, the president decides to play a game to see if they can deliver shampoo to the vice-president. The president wants Mamoru-kun to come and join in on the fun because Ayako-san is there, but the vice-president has set up traps to keep the boys from reaching the hot spring. Will the vice-president win or will the president win? 09 "Together with Older Brother"
"Onii-chan to Issho" (おにいちゃんといっしょ)
December 1, 2006 This episode is the start of Season 2. Ayako-san is invited to meet Mamoru-kun's family. Itsumi-chan has a problem cooking for some weird reason today so Mamoru-kun and his mom go out shopping. Ayako-san helps Mamoru-kun's younger sister, Itsumi-chan, out with cooking and learns a little more about the relationship between the two siblings. When Itsumi knocks over the curry Ayako-san runs and gets a rag, the one that Mamoru-kun sleeps with, then Itsumi-chan tells her that is the blanket Mamoru-kun sleeps with and it is partially colored yellow so Itsumi-chan puts it in the curry to make it all yellow. 10 "Aim! Female High School Student!?"
"Mezase! Joshikousei!?" (めざせ! ジョシコウセイ!?)
December 8, 2006 Emelenzia-san asks Ayako-san to help her understand Japanese Culture. Since Ayako-san does not know what to try to teach her about the culture she asks the fellow female Student Council members to help her out with this situation. In the process Mamoru-kun and the guys from the Student Council and Ayako-san's servant go around town to show Mamoru-kun what girls like to do. At the last place they stop at Mamoru-kun walks into the room where the girls are having a fashion show and Ayako-san loses control over her feelings so she blows up the building. Finally Emelenzia-san transfers into Beatrice High School as a Study Abroad student. Emelenzia-san also entrusts herself to Mamoru-kun. Mamoru-kun smiles at Emelenzia-san and she starts to fall in love with him but Ayako-san does not want to share his smile with anyone so she runs away with him before it gets to far out of hand. 11 "Yoshimura Mamoru Lovey-Dovey Operation"
"Yoshimura Mamoru Romerome Sakusen!" (吉村護ろめろめ作戦!)
December 15, 2006 Emelenzia-san wants to break up Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun so her Onii-sama, brother, can have Ayako-san and she can have Mamoru-kun. So Emelenzia-san decides to help Mamoru-kun with Beatrice control but tries to seduce him while she is at it. While Emelenzia-san is trying to seduce him Ayako-san sees the person Mamoru-kun was supposed to be studying with so Ayako-san goes and looks for him, and Ayako-san sees Emelenzia-san and Mamoru-kun together. What is Ayako-san going to do? 12 "Beatrice Christmas"
"Beatorisu Kurisumasu" (ビアトリス·クリスマス)
December 22, 2006 The episode begins where the last one ended and Ayako-san runs away. Two members of the Student Council see Ayako-san and the vice president saves the other member of Student Council. The President of the Student Council goes to talk to Ayako-san and tells her that her hand-knitted sweater must be warm. She did not understand what he said. When Mamoru-kun sees Ayako-san at the door to the Home Economics Room and Ayako-san runs away and Mamoru-kun runs after her and tells her what Emelenzia-san has been teaching him and his reason behind it. Mamoru show's what he has learned and they both make up. 13 "The Devil Appears!"
"Maō Arawaru!" (魔王あらわる!)
January 5, 2007 Johan, the nerdy person that Ayako-san dueled, has come to Japan to teach Beatrice control to some of the students at Beatrice High School, but in reality he has come to take Ayako-san away from Mamoru-kun by isolating him from the Beatrice and making him pass out. Johan tells everyone that Mamoru-kun pushed himself to far and passed out. After he gets done telling them all this he tells everyone that Ayako-san is coming back to Germany with him. What Will happen Next? 14 "Ayako-san's Lover"
"Ayako-san no Koibito" (絢子さんの恋人)
January 12, 2007 Ayako-san does not want to leave Mamoru-kun, but her Beatrice is calling out for Johan. Ayako-san asks for Mamoru-kun to say something, but he can't say anything at the time. So in turn Ayako-san and Johan start his research "Return to the Origin" by having Ayako-san touch the sphere it reacts in a negative way to where it puts the entire school at stake. What are they going to do? 15 "The Most Excellent Hair In The World"
"Sekaiichi Ekuserento na Kami no Ke" (世界一えくせれんとな髪の毛)
January 26, 2007 Shione-san, vice-president of the Student Council, straightens her hair out from watching a TV program, but everyone else will not listen to her and start coming up with all of these far-fetched ideas. So Shione-san runs back to her house because she does not have to listen to the weird ideas. The next day she is back to her normal hair style. On the way to school, Ayako-san's grandfather calls and tells her that he is coming back. 16 "An Appearance Roiting President"
"Sanjō, Abare Souri!?" (参上、暴れ総理!?)
February 2, 2007 Ayako-san's grandfather comes back to town and asks Ayako-san if she has a boyfriend. She denies it and her grandfather tells her that Johan told him that she did have a boyfriend. During an assembly Ayako-san's grandfather asks the entire student body if she has a boyfriend no one speaks up and just as Mamoru-kun is getting ready to speak up Abiko-senpai speaks up loud and clear that he is Ayako-san's boyfriend, and everyone laughs, but Ayako-san's grandfather takes him seriously. What are Mamoru-kun and Ayako-san going to do now that Abiko-senpai has said that he is Ayako-san's boyfriend? 17 "A Warning from the Southern Islands"
"Minami no Shima no Chūihou" (南の島の注意報)
February 9, 2007 Mamoru-kun and the Student Council go on a trip to while on the plane Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun make a plan to go to a cliff, this cliff is said that if a couple is to kiss on the cliff will be together forever, and kiss. They go to a beach and Mamoru-kun is asked by all the females including Ayako-san how they look but to ruin it Yagi-kun jumps in to the middle of it and scares everyone. Ayako-san throws everyone else in to the sea. After that she and Mamoru-kun are alone for a while and Mamoru-kun compliments her and the Vice-President and all the other girls gather around. Student President and Emelenzia-chan are sitting together and they all gather around them. While they are at the beach the all go have fun in the water and then Emelenzia-chan and Mamoru-kun fall into the water and Mamoru-kun goes and checks on her and comes to find out that she has lost hers swimsuit. When Mamoru-kun fell in Ayako-san rushes out to him. When they, Emelenzia-chan, Mamoru-kun, and Ayaoko-san, got back to the hotel they were going to go out and do something alone just to be interrupted. What will happen if they keep getting interrupted? Near the end they, Mamoru-kun and Ayako-san get stuck in a cave. What are they going to do? 18 "In the Storm"
"Arashi no Naka de" (嵐の中で)
February 16, 2007 The episode starts out with the flashback of when the man that could use beatrice, Ayako-san, and Mamoru-kun (Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun are kids). While they are stuck in the cave the man from the flashback goes and finds Student Council President and Vice-President. The Student Council follows him to where Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun are. The man tells them that they have to destroy these things called prisms because it eliminates the ability to use beatrice. As the Student Council members start destroying the prisms the beatrice slowly comes back. When Emelenzia-san destroys the prism that is in the flowing river, Mamoru-kun and Ayako-san are able to due away with the storm and clear out the rocks. Mamoru-kun discovers that the man from the flashbacks is none other than Misaki-san. After Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun get to Rainbow Cliff they share their memories that have come to lead up to an everlasting love and they also share a kiss. After that we see Misaki-san on the phone getting ready to get on the plane when we find out that he was talking to Johan-san. 19 "The Valentine of Scattering Fireworks"
"Hibana Chiru Chiru Barentain" (火花散る散るバレンタイン)
February 23, 2007 Mamoru-kun and Ayako-san just got back from their winter trip and it is almost Valentines Day — this holiday in Japan is were the women give chocolate to the man they like—, but Ayako-san is acting weird while with Mamoru-kun. The Student Council is having a contest to see which of the female student council members can get Mamoru-kun's heart to beat the fastest. Abiko-senpai receives an email and it says that he can win Ayako-san's heart. Mamoru-kun and the Student Council President receive a bunch of chocolate. After Emelenzia-san gives Mamoru-kun her chocolate, Ayako-san tells Mamoru-kun and Emelenzia-san is acting like she is serious. Emelenzia-san then confesses to Mamoru-kun with Ayako-san standing there. What is going to happen next? 20 "Loss of Beatrice?! (ep. 19 end title for ep. 20) Beatrice Erased?! (ep. 20 title for ep. 20)"
"Biatorisu Shōshitsu!?" (ビアトリス消失!?)
March 2, 2007 Mamoru-kun is wondering if he is going to have to hurt Emelenzia-san's feelings. Abiko-senpai receives his package and is celebrating. Emelenzia-san has her two henchmen help her right a letter of challenge to Ayako-san over Mamoru-kun. Emelenzia-san ends up getting beat to the extreme. Ayako-san talks with Emelenzia-san and tells her and asks her if she can take her confession as an open declaration of war. Just before the credits Abiko-senpai shows up and throws the gift at Mamoru-kun, and Ayako-san gets in the way. After the gift opens it absorbs the person's Beatrice from them. What is going to happen to Ayako-san. 21 "I Don't Want To Go To Faraway Places"
"Tōku e Itcha,Yada" (遠くへ行っちゃ、やだ)
March 9, 2007 We find out that Ayako-san has 1 week to unseal her Beatrice before she basically is dead because her body has fused with the Beatrice. Misaki-san invites her to his lab in Germany to help unseal her Beatrice but Ayako-san feels that he is trying to get her involved with his research. Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun go talk with Mamoru-kun's mom and sister about going to Germany. Mamoru-kun's mom is all for it, but Itsumi-chan, Mamoru-kun's sister, is not wanting him to go. Ayako-san turns down Misaki-san's invitation to come to Germany. Ayako-san collapses and tells Mamoru-kun to stay for his classes. Itsumi-chan goes to Ayako-san's house to visit Ayako-san but when she is getting ready to leave she sees Abiko-senpai tying a rope to a pole. Abiko-senpai and Itsumi-san sneak into Ayako-san's place. The strange person that was outside Ayako-san's house is now trying to attack Ayako-san. Mamoru-kun and Emelenzia-chan save Itsumi-chan and Ayako-san. What is going to happen after they leave for Germany? 22 "Return to the Beginning"
"Gensho e no Kikan" (原初への帰還)
March 16, 2007 Ayako-san, Mamoru-kun and the President all go to Germany by plane to get Ayako-san's Beatrice. They come across the Silver Maria and her henchmen who take Mamoru-kun away. Ayako-san and Johan-kun agree to help Misaki-san in his experiment Return to the Beginning. During the experiment, something goes wrong and cause the Beatrice to take form of a creature that seems to want Ayako-san. What is going to happen next? 23 "The Invincible Duo"
"Muteki na Futari" (無敵な二人)
March 23, 2007 Ayako-san gets absorbed by the Beatrice. Mamoru-kun goes to save Ayako-san from the monster which almost makes him disappear. Every country then is put on high alert and commence attacking the high spike of Beatrice. What is going to happen after Mamoru-kun saves Ayako-san? 24 "To Mamoru-kun, the blessings of the goddess!"
"Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!" (護くんに女神の祝福を!)
March 30, 2007 Ayako-san and Mamoru-kun destroy the Beatrice and the School holds a funeral for them but something appears to be amiss. Then it later reveals that they were running tests on them after the last battle. Also some members seem to be graduating, but what will be the outcome of this glorious reunion?
- Opening theme
- "MA·MO·RU!" by Maho Tomita
- Ending theme
- "Venus Dream" by Hiromi Satou
- Maeda, Hisashi et al. "Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o!". Newtype USA 5 (11) 64–65. November 2006. ISSN 1541-4817.
- Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o! (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- MediaWorks Official Mamoru-kun website (Japanese)
- Official anime website (Japanese)
- WOWOW Mamoru-kun anime website (Japanese)
- Venus to Mamoru by Kadokawa Pictures USA
- Light novels
- Anime series
- Anime of 2006
- Dengeki Bunko
- Romantic comedy anime and manga
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.