Routledge is a publisher of non-fiction academic books and journals. It was acquired in 1997 by, and is thus now an
imprintof, the Taylor & FrancisGroup, which is a sub-division of Informa PLC, a company based in the United Kingdom with offices worldwide. A majority of Routledge's books are based in the humanitiesand social sciencesand all are academic. In 2005 the international affairs titles of another of the Taylor and Francis Group's imprints, Europa Publications, were added to the Routledge catalogue, including the "Europa World Year Book", "International Who's Who", the Regional Surveys Series, the "Europa World of Learning" and Europa World online.
As a name in Camden publishing, it originates in 1836, when
George Routledge(1812-1888) founded a firm with W. H. Warne. George Routledge and Co. was set up in 1851 with Frederick Warne, becoming Routledge, Warne & Routledge in 1858, and George Routledge and Sons when Warne left. After refinancing in 1902, the company took over J. C. Nimmo Ltdin 1903. In 1912 an amalgamation with Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co.created Routledge and Kegan Paul Ltd., a major London publishing house. Taylor & Francis bought Routledge in 1998.
The famous English publisher
Frederic Warburgwas a commissioning editor at Routledge in the early twentieth century.
Taylor and Francis closed down the Routledge encyclopedia division in 2006. Some of its publications were:
Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophyby Edward Craig (1998) in 10 volumes, but now online
Encyclopedia of Ethicsby Lawrence C. Beckerand Charlotte B. Becker (2002) in three volumes.
Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy
Encyclopedia of Paleontologyby Ronald Singer (1987)
Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd for many years published the series of Jewish Festival prayer books "Service of the Synagogue" sanctioned by Chief Rabbi
Hermann Adlerfor use in British synagogues. The series are generally known amongst Jews of the British Commonwealth as "the Routledge Machzor".
* [http://www.routledge.com/ Routledge]
* [http://www.psypress.com/ Routledge- Psychology Press]
* [http://www.routledgelaw.com/ Routledge-Cavendish]
* [http://www.routledgementalhealth.com/ Routledge - Mental health imprint]
* [http://www.psychoanalysisarena.com/ Routledge - Psychoanalysis arena]
* [http://www.europaworld.com/ Routledge - Europa World]
* [http://www.worldwhoswho.com/ Routledge - The International Who's Who]
* [http://www.worldoflearning.com/ Routledge - The Europa World of Learning]
* [http://www.everymansprey.com/ Routledge - History of the Routledges and Their Origins]
* Warburg, Fredric "An Occupation for Gentlemen" (Boston Houghton Mifflin Company 1960)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.